General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Shut off quirks???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shut off quirks???

I'm noticing that my 1990 22re 4x4 pickup seems to be taking longer to shut off after I turn the key all the way off. It's SLIGHT, like a second longer and I wouldn't mention it except...... no there's also a strange noise that accompanies the shut off SOMETIMES. Grinding is not the right word for the noise, but close. It doesn't sound like teeth grinding on anything. The noise had just started and only happened a 4-5 times, and this is my daily driver so it's intermittent. I just want to address it before it becomes constant or fails... Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

Perhaps related: I recently accidentally turned the key and engaged the starter while the engine was running. It was very brief, and has started reliably several times since then. I can't remember if the first instance of the noise preceded the event or not. Both were very recent.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Who knows what damage you might have done most times you get off lucky .

You might have cracked or broke something on the starter drive or the ring gear.

As to taking longer to shut off .

When the ignition switch opens the voltage to the coil is turned off no spark

With leaky injectors and huge carbon deposits you might get one or two rpms out of the engine.

Very rare but it can happen

Then you might be paranoid from the strange noise

Which can be a pain to locate and figure out just what is the cause.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
By the description, I'd say pull the starter and check it's gear and such. While your at it, if it checks out good, clean/lube as needed and put in new contacts to prevent the common starter click problem (clicks but no crank). It's like a $15-20 part.

Like wyoming said, you might be getting a bit of what used to be called "dieseling" on the carb'ed engines. Hot engine + carbon build up + fuel = keeps running a tiny bit after no spark.

Another thing to look at would be exhaust shields to see if any are loose (they make odd noises and can make you think the wrong things). While it's running check for a noise in the front of the engine. It's common enough for the timing chain guides to go bad, or the timing chain to be sloppy from lots of use. Not the funnest job to replace it if it is bad, but sure beats replacing the engine if it fails.

The noise could just be nothing, if you fixed the "dieseling" effect it might go right away. If you can, a video of it would probably really help identify the sound, even though I know it's hard to predict. There should be some pattern when it's more common, like a drive though the city, low pace, stop and go, then turn off right away (lots of heat buildup under the hood) vs getting on the express way and getting off and turning it of (higher speeds/load etc).