General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF

Old 06-22-2004, 04:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got immediate results when I did the intake (disconnecting the PCV). The engine ran much smoother and the intake was much quieter. It only smoked when I loaded the hose with seafoam then immediately shut off the engine to let it soak for 4-5 minutes. When I recranked it, it took a few times to get it to start up, but when it did, it BILLOWED blue/white smoke. I must have had some nasty stuff in there...

I didn't use the hose to suck the seafoam out of the can like some do. I turned the hose to pointing upwards and poured it into the hose. As soon as it gets to the tip of the hose, it atomizes into the air being sucked into it.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, so you loaded the hose... I went with the can instructions which talk about pouring slowly. I did have the idle change a lot, and then I happened to pour fast enough that I almost stalled it, but I was working alone and couldn't get into a position where I could pour to fill the hose and then kill the engine.

And yeah, I poured it into the hose as well - outside of the logistic issues of getting the hose into the can, there's no way to tell what "1/3 of a can" is once the suction would start.

I'll be on the road in about 2 hours - this should be interesting!

Thanks Andy!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:46 AM
Banned

Some people pour it in slowly for a minute, then drop the hose into the can to pseudo "hydrolock" it and stall it out. No way I was going to go that extreme and possibly damage the engine. Like I said, I poured a HEAVY dose, then ran around and shut off the engine to let it sit. It worked fine for me that way...

Last edited by bamachem; 06-22-2004 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the 3.0 I used what is Highlighted in green... I know its on a 3.4, but the 3.0 uses what looks like the same intake just on the oppsite side.
Attached Thumbnails Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF-highlighted3-4-intake2.jpg  

Last edited by wvuviv30; 06-22-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:39 AM

And, after the drive to work, I can say...

KICKIN'!

Very nice.. Much better than the other injector cleaners I've used that you add to the tank. Better throttle response, smoother runing over-all, everything that Andy said. I'm on a fresh tank of gas, so I'll be looking forward to checking mileage.

Thank you Andy!

btw, I got the smoke cloud this morning.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Banned

GLAD I COULD HELP. That's what makes Yotatech RULE!

Actually, until you add a couple of cans to a tank of gas, you haven't even cleaned the injectors yet. You've only cleaned the intake plenum and intake valves! It only gets better!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Andy,

You think 3 cans is enough? And just to make sure, which one did you buy? They have several formulas.

Bob
Old 06-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Banned

They do? The one's I bought were red and white and had directions for intake cleaning, fuel addative, oil addative, etc on the back. I bought 3. I did 2 doses (each 1/3 of a can) to the intake, using almost an entire can, then added 2 cans to a half tank of gas and drove 20 miles befre filling up to give the 4oz/gal concentration time to work before diluting it to 2 oz per gallon with the full tank.

Last edited by bamachem; 06-22-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:42 AM

I bought a can to try too - maybe tonight.
Cant wait!
I'll let you guys know if this cures my cycling vibration rough idle issue too.

Thanks again for the tip Andy
Old 06-22-2004, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
andy,

my mistake. i saw a pic of an older can (i think it was) that had green labeling. so yes, its a white and red can as you said.

bob
Old 06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

I took part of my lunch break and stopped at O'Reilly's and picked up 3 cans for $5.99 each. You guys sold me on trying this.

Will let you know.

Last edited by DavidA; 06-22-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:24 AM

I too am curious to find out if the PCV sea foam treatment can resolve the erratic idling vibration and starting issues. However, having just changed my plugs and oil, might want to wait a while before trying.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Banned

having erratic idling vibration and startign issues to me would be worse than having to take out my plugs and spray them off with some carb cleaner after a hundred miles or so to remove any buildup. you can check your oil and if it looks dirty and thin, then change it, if not, then let it go the normal distance...

Originally Posted by midiwall
...Also be prepared to replace the plugs in your vehicle approx. 1 to 2 weeks AFTER you have the procedure done, all the crap the gets burnt out of the system has a tendency to foul the plugs killing your milage and performance....
I am planning on changing over to some NGK's soon anyway. I put Denso's in at about 85k (now at 106k) when I got it (original plugs) but it's a cheap investment in the long run at less than $20 for a set. I'm also up for an oil change in the next couple of weeks, so that will get taken care of as well. I'll probally go ahead and do one last intake treatment a couple of days before I do the plugs and oil to make sure there's no gunk left in there anywhere...

Last edited by bamachem; 06-22-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

All I have to say about Seafoam is to ask Oly884 about his experience with it. I know I'm not going to try it. That's just too expensive of a mistake to make.

Old 06-22-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
All I have to say about Seafoam is to ask Oly884 about his experience with it. I know I'm not going to try it. That's just too expensive of a mistake to make.
I found the other thread that you mentioned that in, but nothing from him about it. In the other thread, you inferred that he destroyed his motor.

Is this the story of the hydrolocked motor which came from sucking the product in through a wrong hose?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:24 PM

I just tryed some. I blow white smoke like a smoke machine. good stuff.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

i just used about half a can on the intake, and did the whole white smoke thing... my question is now, what should I do with the remaining half can?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 96LtdYota
i just used about half a can on the intake, and did the whole white smoke thing... my question is now, what should I do with the remaining half can?
Dump it in the fuel tank, drive a bit to stir things up, then fill-up.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Is this the story of the hydrolocked motor which came from sucking the product in through a wrong hose?
Yep, if I remember correctly he used the brake booster hose. Long story short, he sucked it in, hydrolocked his motor, and threw a rod.

Here ya go:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=engine

Hell, I don't even know where the PCV hose is on the 3.slow. It would take some searching to find it. Either way, it's not going into my engine.

Just a word of caution.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:43 PM

I did it to mine today. The motor shut down on the first pour. And the idel was all funky. I let it sit, then finsihed the 1/3 can. I bellowed smoke all over the place. And it stunk like hell. I runs a little smother now. Im happy. But, the first time it shut down, I was like "OH $h!T" I thought I hydolocked it. But good ideas guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF