General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF

Over the last few months, my gas mileage has been dropping off horribly. Last monday when I filled up I got 13.8 around town (I've been getting 15 in town and 16.5 on the highway). That was the last straw - I had to do SOMETHING. I picked up a can of seafoam along with some TB cleaner and did a little late spring cleaning. I poured the seafoam into the PCV hose with the engine running like on the directions. On the first application, I poured it very slow (1/3 can), then shut off the engine (again, like the directions said). Five minutes later when I started it up, it blew more smoke than the batmobile. After all the smoke subsided, I gave it another treatment, but poured a little faster so that it was almost stalling out. (again, 1/3 can). After starting up, it BILLOWED smoke for several minutes, but the engine just PURRED after it was finished. It was the smoothest running toyota engine I've ever seen. While I was at it, I gave the MAF a good bath along with the air filter and the TB.

Well, that got me back up to 17.2 on the highway on our trip to the beach (still not satisfied).

While I was down there, I picked up another two cans of seafoam and put both into my tank at 1/2 full (4X stronger than in the directions). I ran this for about 20 miles or so, then filled up at a cheapie station ($1.69 when everywhere else was $1.86) and got back on the interstate to drive home. I filled back up here in Birmingham, and I ended up getting 18.1 on the ride home. Not too bad. I can't wait to see if it goes up even more with Shell in the tank...

Now on startup, instead of having to hold the key for a sec for the engine to fire, it starts right up with ZERO hesitation. The injectors and intake must have been pretty bad (106k and counting)...

If you do the seafoam treatment, I'd recommend SEVERAL cans so you can give the intake a good cleaning along with the injectors.

Last edited by bamachem; 06-21-2004 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
Over the last few months, my gas mileage has been dropping off horribly. Last monday when I filled up I got 13.8 around town (I've been getting 15 in town and 16.5 on the highway). That was the last straw - I had to do SOMETHING. I picked up a can of seafoam along with some TB cleaner and did a little late spring cleaning. I poured the seafoam into the PCV hose like on the directions. On the first application, I poured it very slow (1/3 can), then shut off like the directions said. Five minutes later when I started it up it blew more smoke than the batmobile. After all the smoke subsided, I gave it another treatment, but poured a little faster so that it was almost stalling out. (again, 1/3 can). After starting up, it BILLOWED smoke for several minutes, but the engine just PURRED after it was finished. It was the smoothest running toyota engine I've ever seen. While I was at it, I gave the MAF a good bath along with the air filter and the TB.

Well, that got me back up to 17.2 on the highway on our trip to the beach (still not satisfied).

While I was down there, I picked up another two cans of seafoam and put both into my tank at 1/2 full (4X stronger than in the directions). I ran this for about 20 miles or so, then filled up at a cheapie station ($1.69 when everywhere else was $1.86) and got back on the interstate to drive home. I filled back up here in Birmingham, and I ended up getting 18.1 on the ride home. Not too bad. I can't wait to see if it goes up even more with Shell in the tank...

Now on startup, instead of having to hold the key for a sec for the engine to fire, it starts right up with ZERO hesitation. The injectors must have been pretty bad (106k and counting)...

If you do the seafoam treatment, I'd recommend SEVERAL cans so you can give the intake a good cleaning along with the injectors.

Andy,

That is encouraging info. However I have a 2nd gen with the 3.0. The PCV valve is not easily accessible. Is there any other way to introduce this stuff to the intake and the injectors?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-21-2004, 05:10 AM
Banned

You can feed it through any vacuum line that goes into the intake plenum and will reach all cylinders.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:11 AM

I absolutely love SEAFOAM! SEAFOAM ROCKS! I have used it in my 3.4, my wifes 3.7 (Jeep), my brothers 4.7, many 22r and 22re motors, etc.

This stuff is absolutely the best motor treatment I know of. Hands down, works better than other products I've tested. I know tons of mechanics who use this stuff, including my cousin who swears by it.

I'm glad you had such good results too!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:56 AM

Silly question, but where is PCV valve located on 3rd gen? And where would I get this Seafoam?

Thanks,
-- Andrey
Old 06-21-2004, 09:03 AM

Andy, I have a 2003 Tacoma V6 3.4. Can I feed the Seafoam into the intake at the same place you are, if so were is it?
Thanks,
Cesar
Old 06-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Banned

I got my cans at NAPA. On the 3.4L, the PCV is located to the left of the throttle body and down on the top of the head. It's a 1/2" or so hose that attaches to a fitting that is turned 90* horizontal after it comes out of the engine. That fitting is the PCV valve. Pop the hose off when the engine is running and it has TONS of vacuum to suck in the Seafoam. Give me a few minutes and I'll go take a pic of it...

Last edited by bamachem; 06-21-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Banned

Here's the pic:

Old 06-21-2004, 10:05 AM

Thanks Andy!

As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Andrey
Thanks Andy!

As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words!
Thanks Too, Andy!!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 03:53 PM

anyone know a website where i can get seafoam online. ive checked a bunch of shops here in norcal and i get this dumba$$ look everytime i ask about it, so i figure the only way to get it is online.

website anyone? ( i already searched)
Old 06-21-2004, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.4v6
anyone know a website where i can get seafoam online. ive checked a bunch of shops here in norcal and i get this dumba$$ look everytime i ask about it, so i figure the only way to get it is online.

website anyone? ( i already searched)
Here's SeaFoam's website:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

There's a "contact" link on the page which gives:
Phone (952) 938-4811
Fax (952) 938-5841

P.O. Box 5178
Hopkins, MN 55343-1178
customerservice@seafoamsales.com
Drop and email or a phone call and ask for a dealer in your area.

Also, in wandering around, I found this statement from a user:
Also be prepared to replace the plugs in your vehicle approx. 1 to 2 weeks AFTER you have the procedure done, all the crap the gets burnt out of the system has a tendency to foul the plugs killing your milage and performance.
I have no idea if it's true or not, kinda' makes sense, so I figured I'd pass it on.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:17 PM

Update! I found an online offering:

http://www.montanajacks.com/index.as...Search=seafoam
Old 06-21-2004, 06:37 PM

Regarding the changing of plugs, I run Seafoam BEFORE I do a major tune-up, including changing the plugs...

I also add SEAFOAM to the crankcase a few hundred miles before an oil change...

I run one can through the gas tank every 3,000 to 5,000 miles...
Old 06-21-2004, 07:07 PM

one more update... fwiw I found it tonight at my local Schuck's (Checker or Kragen in some areas) for $4.49/bottle.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

i am in nothern CA and they have it lots of places.... for sure, allied auto up here in fremont has it.. thats where i got mine
Old 06-21-2004, 07:22 PM

ii just ended up buying seafoam online for $6 a can. none of the NAPA stores here carry it, neither do kragen or pepboys or auto zone.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:51 PM

Bummer Jason... well, from what folks say, it'll be worth it.

Hey Andy? How long after the treatment did you start noticing an improvement in how the engine runs? Was it really as quick as _right now_? I ask 'cause I just got done doing mine, but didn't get the smoke cloud... hmm...

I'll see how it runs tomorrow and maybe do it again.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:06 AM

which end do I let the sea foam flow into the end closest to the throttle body or the end that goes into the white 90 degree fitting?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
which end do I let the sea foam flow into the end closest to the throttle body or the end that goes into the white 90 degree fitting?
Well you want it disconnect the part of the hose that goes to the white 90 degree fitting and use that end of the hose to suck the seafoam through the hose and nto the throttle body.

Quick Reply: Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF