General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

roof rack support 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
roof rack support 2nd gen

Hi All.
Wise input appreciated.
I've searched quite a bit and while there are quite of number of "how to mount" roof rack posts, I can't find much on under support. I know they use nut-serts and such for attachment.

I ask because I have another 2nd gen with a rack (with sunroof), and I've thought about moving it over to my 95 (not sunroof). I've got my headliner piece out and notice that the cross-member roof supports are not in contact with the actual sheet metal. There are a series of some sort of spacer on each crossmember, that look like they're flexible. Anyway, I was wondering how stout those roof supports really are. OTH I don't suppose you'd want to put that much anyway upthere (CG limits, etc)

I recall some thread some years(?) ago where (sorry, can't recall anyone's ID's) poster had his ski box brand-name get ripped off going down the road. I can't find it or recall if the holes in the roof got damaged or not. I know several have posted about how to mount, and IIRC, I remember (Red Wagon? Dude I think hurt his back some years back, not sure if he ever moved to Aus or not...) someone looking to do it and had to quickly before his Supervisor changed her mind. Haha. I never did post but I thought "I hope they had a good time in Vegas"!! I digress.

So thoughts on this? I thought if I did move the rack over, maybe add some 1" strap on each side to distribute the upward tension more. NOt sure if that's worth the effort either. Then I get to thinking about heavier supports and internal rollbars, and next thing you know, I've gotten no where! haha. Hey! At least I got the door interiors rustproofed, door jambs etc painted Saturday. WTH, I bought an XC90 to put my skis in, sold the Tundra because usually had to leave all the skis in back when brewery hopping on way back from mountain. But roof top box for skis would be cool, no?

Ohh. Look! a bunny!!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that is not a bad idea. I just used nutserts when i extended my factory roof rack. Maybe I should pull the headliner and add some more material.
That being said I did try to feel through the headliner to see if i noticed any extra material but no luck

Originally Posted by dropzone
So with my 84" roof basket the stock luggage rack wasn't going to cut it, so using parts from the 4Runner shell a friend gave me I extended the rack 26" , by doing so I gained a 3rd crossbar. Gotta love a 45 minute project
Used 5 nutserts on each side

Came out pretty decent