General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

removing duplicolor bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing duplicolor bedliner

anyone have first hand experience removing the duplicolor bedliner? i made the mistake of putting that crap in my bed and on my bed rails years ago and now i need to take it off. i am in the process of a roll on paint job and i need to remove the bed liner from the rails. i plan on removing all of it eventually but just need the rails for now. i've used the herculiner in the cab and that stuff is much better. after researching it seems like my best options are either a heat gun and scraper or a paint stripper. so far i've tried a wire wheel brush in a drill and course sandpaper and that worked ok but it beat up the paint too. im sure theres a better way. anyone have first hand experience? thanks, this is holding up my paint project!

Name:  DSC03394.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  93.0 KB
Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some of that aircraft paint remover might take it off. its that stuff they sell at advance auto that strips everything to bare metal
Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 AM

I've seen the aircraft stripper, i plan on that being a last resort. might use that in the bed but rather not on the rails. i don't want to take off all the paint just the liner. that seems messy too. anyone try the heat gun? i will probably buy a cheap one at harbor freight and give it a shot.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spokane.yota.man
i don't want to take off all the paint just the liner.
are you trying to remove the material from the paint, without removing the paint?

that method sounds like the most work to me.

i recommend you get some paste style stripper and tape off just below the bed rail. smear that stuff around and scrape away with plastic scrapers.

you'll have it down to bare metal in no time. wipe it all down for paint prep, spray your primer and apply your new top coat. then go have a beer!

c'mon, are ya done yet? where's the pictures ?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM

I used aircraft stripper. It takes it off wonderfully, along with everything else. I know you mentioned you didn't want to do that, but it's probalby the easiest.

fwiw, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who has been happy with Duplicolor bedliner.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
are you trying to remove the material from the paint, without removing the paint?

that method sounds like the most work to me.
maybe, but if i don't take off all the paint then i won't have to sand as much and prime at all (i think). by just taking off the liner there won't be a sudden change from paint to bare metal, that would mean extra sanding and priming. so maybe not more work overall. my wire brush in drill worked ok, if i was careful i could get mostly liner, i kept from going to metal. so less sanding and no priming. im not in a hurry so i want to try some things before resorting to stripping down to metal. doesn't hurt to try. i read about someone using a heat gun, so im going to try that tonight. either way i know the stripper will work i'm just intent on finding a better way to do it (maybe not easier, but better).
Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 PM

maybe, but if i don't take off all the paint then i won't have to sand as much and prime at all (i think). by just taking off the liner there won't be a sudden change from paint to bare metal, that would mean extra sanding and priming. so maybe not more work overall. my wire brush in drill worked ok, if i was careful i could get mostly liner, i kept from going to metal. so less sanding and no priming. im not in a hurry so i want to try some things before resorting to stripping down to metal. doesn't hurt to try. i read about someone using a heat gun, so im going to try that tonight. either way i know the stripper will work i'm just intent on finding a better way to do it (maybe not easier, but better).
well now you have me confused. do you want an easier way, a quicker way, or a better way?

cuz you can't have two of those.

skipping proper sanding and priming could be why that bedliner isn't holding up. do you remember what you did when you put it in?

check dupli-color's website for a "contact us" link and send them an email. if you're looking for a chemical that will take that stuff off, but still leave the paint underneath it in a condition suitable to paint without priming, they should know it.

OR JUST ROLL RIGHT OVER THAT CRAP AND BE DONE WITH IT. that's the fun of a roller job!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM

well now you have me confused. do you want an easier way, a quicker way, or a better way?
all of the above. i want the quickest and easiest way to do it better, how bout that? i know i didn't prep good enough when i did that liner, it was an after school back yard special about 10 years ago. regardless, its cheap and not nearly as nice as the herculiner. so even if it held up perfect i would still be having to take it off the bed rails. rolling doesn't mean an ugly paint job so rolling over the top of it aint gonna happen. i'm sanding everything very well for this paint job, and priming isn't required when you have decent existing paint (so i've read). i'll post my results when im finished removing the liner and i bet the paint will still be there (i hope).
Old 06-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about a heat gun and a putty knife?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM

i still think the aircraft paint remover will be the best option but on a side note have you seen the new duplicolor bed armor bedliner with kevlar in it??? i cant wait to get some it looks alot better than herculiner imo
Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
How about a heat gun and a putty knife?
the only things i could find on a quik google search were tales of chiseling it off in hard chunks. that would be a royal pita.

i am very interested to see how he can remove the one layer without having to sand and prime under it. i hope for his sake he's successful, but my experience has taught me that short cuts in workmanship = more work later.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:20 PM

all of the above. i want the quickest and easiest way to do it better, how bout that? i know i didn't prep good enough when i did that liner, it was an after school back yard special about 10 years ago. regardless, its cheap and not nearly as nice as the herculiner. so even if it held up perfect i would still be having to take it off the bed rails. rolling doesn't mean an ugly paint job so rolling over the top of it aint gonna happen. i'm sanding everything very well for this paint job, and priming isn't required when you have decent existing paint (so i've read). i'll post my results when im finished removing the liner and i bet the paint will still be there (i hope).
if you can conjure a quicker and easier way that's better, then you're ahead of the game man, so good luck with that.

i am definitely interested in seeing if you can get that stuff off while saving the paint under it.

however, it sounds like you're doing this to avoid having to prime the bed again.

so you want to just sand it, then paint it? aren't you concerned about any residue left behind from the old bedliner that will inhibit a good bond for the new top coat?

usually you have to sand, chemical wipe, then prime, for decent prep before paint. and of those 3 steps, the most critical to good adhesion of the new top coat, IS THE PRIMING.

since your last bedliner had an adhesion failure, maybe skipping priming is the last thing you want to do again.

just make sure you think it through in advance, and don't let what seems like a short cut lead you off course and into the woods.

good luck!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM

A friend of mine had that crap on his truck...the only way he could get all of it off was a 'light' sandblasting. Then he brought if over to the good people at LineX and had them spray it. I know that this isn't the quickest/easiest way you want, but like I said, that was his only course of action. Good luck with that.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I removed it from my skid plate by putting it on the BBQ grill until it was smoking good and then scraped it off with a puddy knife.

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-08-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM

results are in

thanks for all the input! the results are in, i tried 3 methods with mixed results. sorry for the long post, i wanted to tell the whole story. just a quick summary: my problem was i had the bedliner on my rails and in the bed. i am getting ready to paint my truck, i was going to roll it but im now going to do a real paint job cause i have put a lot of time already into prep. i started by wanting to remove the liner from the rails without removing all the paint. well i was some what successful with that. several people recommended paint stripper. that is definitely the quickest way to go. i was hesitant to use the stripper on the rails though. if you strip down to bare metal on the rails then where do you stop? you would go to full paint to no paint which would require extra sanding and primer. if you mechanically remove the liner then you would have some original paint/primer left and would need to do less sanding and priming (in theory). first method i tried is a wire cup brush in my drill. that worked ok, it definitely removed the liner but also took a lot of paint if you weren't extremely accurate. you could keep from going to bare metal though. second method was a heat gun and a scraper. i used a cheap heat gun ($10 harbor freight) and scraper. this worked ok but like the brush was hard to keep the paint. it was a tough task to heat liner enough without heating paint too much. so often the paint would go with the liner. since i wasn't getting great results i traded the scraper for a flat razor blade scraper. that was quicker but still took most of the paint. so i used a combination of both but honestly cant say which was better. it was all in the technique which was hard to perfect. the rail behind the cab i tried the stripper. i used mar-hydre tal strip spray stripper. holy crap, that was easy! but surely enough it took all the paint too. that was ok because there was no other painting that was going to happen there so i didn't have to worry about blending together. so thats it. sorry i don't have more pictures but this one of tailgate is how it all looks. some paint, most of the primer, NO LINER.
Name:  SNC00378.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  27.3 KB
i will coarse sand first to smooth it out then still do a couple primer coats to fill in low spots and then finish sand. being i will still have to prime some, if i were to do it again i might go straight to the stripper and just be careful to keep it only on liner. when i go to re-do the bedliner i will use a bunch of stripper and just go down to metal. but im painting first then doing the liner later. i agree with everyone that proper prep is key to any sort of paint or liner success. i will try to get a few more pics up tonight. heres my truck now except the fenders are off and theres no longer black liner on the rails! i hope to have it ready for paint by the end of the month and then get it painted in early july.
Name:  DSC03430.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  104.0 KB
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM

i recommend you get some paste style stripper and tape off just below the bed rail.

you'll have it down to bare metal in no time.
thanks for all the input! several people recommended paint stripper. that is definitely the quickest way to go. first method i tried is a wire cup brush in my drill. it definitely removed the liner but also took a lot of paint if you weren't extremely accurate. second method was a heat gun and a scraper. so often the paint would go with the liner. i traded the scraper for a flat razor blade scraper. that was quicker but still took most of the paint. the rail behind the cab i tried the stripper. holy crap, that was easy! if i were to do it again i might go straight to the stripper and just be careful to keep it only on liner.

well, it sounds like you had a great learning experience. keep posting up the pics!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 PM

yeah yeah, everyone said stripper and i tried it last. it worked pretty good, i hadn't used stripper before and expected it to be a lot more agressive then it was. the heat gun wasn't too bad either though. this pic shows about the best i could do, its along a side bed rail.
Name:  DSC03464.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  43.7 KB
someone with a little more patience could probably do a better job then i did with that method. this picture shows the bed side of tailgate with just spraying a few coats of stripper then brushing it off.
Name:  DSC03465.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  71.7 KB
i obviously still have some scraping, it gets the job done but its still a bit of work. its also very foul smelling and burns a little if it gets on skin. im not surprised given what its suppose to do, so use in well ventilated area and wear the necessary protection.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 PM

use in well ventilated area and wear the necessary protection.
i plan on bedlining my entire truck inside and out this summer, so i hope i'll never have to do this!

good luck with the rest of your project and keep posting pics!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

When I worked for Rhino Linings we used to get trucks in with peeling liners (competitor's product) and would have to grind/scrape it out. That really sucked. It took me 5 hours one time.

If anyone has any questions about the process, let me know. Looks like you have this one under control though.