General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Looking to buy a TLC 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a TLC 4Runner

So after a recent car accident that totaled my 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 I'm in the market for another vehicle. I got lucky with the last car and can't afford a new car payment or much for a down payment or buying a vehicle. I've always loved the 4Runners and have seen a couple around me going for fairly cheap all in various conditions.

Any help in pointing me towards a decent deal is appreciated!!

Found a 1990 3.0 4x4 with over 200k on it for $1500. Has an 80k mile motor in it and auto transmission is doing fine. Guy said the tires are getting worn out and a mechanic told him it needs tie rods, I figure I'd throw on new tie rods and pitman and idler arms. Interior and exterior look very good. I'm assuming it probably needs a solid tune up, timing belt,cap and rotor, plugs and wires, and fuel air and oil filters. Anything I should look for with this or is it a good deal.

Also have found a few with blows head gaskets, one in particular on 33s and a 6inch lift. I'm a GM mechanic and can handle full rebuilds but would like to avoid pulling motors, too end rebuilds wouldn't be an issue if the price is right. This one is asking $1600 with the blown heads. Should I even bother with looking at 3.0 with blows head gaskets or is it too much of a risk? I know there is a special campaign for these and they're issue some but a valve grind, new gaskets and seals and timing belt and water pump wouldn't be a bad thing regardless.

I guess I'm looking for what issues I shouldn't worry too much about price wise as I can fix just about anything, not really looking for something that needs full blown repair and engine/tranny pulls. I'm shooting for like $1000-1500ish up front and then under $1000 in repairs.

Let me know and thanks a ton! Look forward to joining the runner community soon.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't know the 3.0 to well. I had a 91 with the 3.0 for a while and the frame was rusted out. Really check the frames, especially on the passenger side in front of the leaf spring but the rear part of the frame can be a problem depending on where you live.

In my opinion, the 3.0 and 22re motor with an automatic is a gutless wonder. You will see the 3.0 called the 3slow on here but in my opinion the 3.0 with the 5 speed is descent enough power. The automatic transmission in these kills the power.

Sounds like you have dealt with used cars in the past. I suggest to anyone when buying any used car to be prepared to spend another thousand on top of the purchase price. The head gasket recall is over now and it will be on you and not the dealer as I understand it. One recall that they do still honor is the steering relay rod if it has not been done. Take the VIN to the dealer and they will tell you if it has been done.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Be nice to know where you are??

hard to point you toward a good deal if your on the other side of the country .
Old 04-03-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If the tie rods are shot on any of these IFS trucks you're looking at, probably safe bet that the control arm bushings need to be replaced too. Those are the most difficult replacement item in the whole IFS, my opinion. Other stuff would be everything else with a rod end: pitman, idler, ball joints, etc.
the 2nd gen in general is a great vehicle, If I got one with an auto I'd likely be doing an engine swap for more power.

Btw based on your thread title -- a "TLC" is a Toyota Land Cruiser, in which case I just say "yes, buy one". A 4Runner will NEVER be a Land Cruiser and there's a reason why the MSRP of a new Cruiser has always cost almost 3x as much as a new 4Runner.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For second gen 4Runners, $1500 with the mileage you specified, I would say that is decent for the price. Stay away from ones with Blown Head Gaskets unless you have the time and money as they will not be cheap to fix.