General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

DIY brake line block off plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY brake line block off plugs

My pickup has a horrible brake line repair job done for the back brakes. I cant get a proper bleed and wont have time to replace/repair for a while.

i found this guys video

My problem is I don't have a welder. I'm going to grab some fittings from the junk yard tomorrow and see what i can do with some jb weld puddy maybe..

If anyone has done this before please leave your experience here.
The following users liked this post:
Faisal Ahad (07-23-2023)
Old 06-06-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you have a hammer and a hard rock? You can fold the brake line over and hammer it shut against the rock, then fold it again with pliers, and smash it shut again. I know this works, I drove a jeep home with only the right front brake working, just this way. Yes; I made money fixing a rotted jeep, then I took a bath.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I don't think I would trust just the JB weld to plug the line.
I had a rear line crack on me out in the desert and had to fix it to finish the trip. I took the line off, cut it about 4'' long, pinched the end closed, and then rolled it back on it self a few times. Finally smashed it with a hammer on a rock. Never leaked on the 200 mile trip home. Might be able to do something like that with a little JB in there for good measure. I dont know how the JB weld will react to the brake fluid though.
I made a few plugs like this guy did after I got home and keep them in the emergency boxes now. Look on your local craigslist for someone who does welding service. I cant imagine it would cost a lot to have someone do a few quick plugs like in the video

Sky beat me by a minute

Last edited by Robert m; 06-06-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
In years past I brazed a few flare fittings with short line stubs served the purpose .

Nice for a emergency like a ruptured rubber hose

In the time it takes to make them you could just make new rear lines and install them though.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wyoming9
In years past I brazed a few flare fittings with short line stubs served the purpose .

Nice for a emergency like a ruptured rubber hose

In the time it takes to make them you could just make new rear lines and in
stall them though.
Im getting a bubble while bleeding one of the back brakes when the valve is closed. I also heard some bubbling sounds at the cylinder/line connection point. capping the back will help me isolate the problem considering I think there is more than one.

I just blew my funds on the front brakes (v6swap), bearings and ball joints. going to have to cap these things for now. I should really make a build thread. Ive never had a truck that needed this much work. while frustrating and cursing the car flipper who lied his ass off (i knew this but i was in a pinch and i was not about to buy a s10) Im learning. I'm 2 months into owning this monster.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Brake Line Block Off Plugs

Brake line block off plugs are a crucial aspect of any DIY automotive project, especially when performing repairs or modifications on the brake system. These plugs are designed to temporarily seal off brake lines, preventing brake fluid leakage during specific tasks like caliper or hose replacement. When choosing block off plugs, it's essential to opt for high-quality materials that can withstand the pressure exerted by the brake system.

Before proceeding with any DIY brake line block off, always remember to exercise caution and prioritize safety. Ensure the vehicle is properly supported on jack stands and that the brake fluid is drained properly. Additionally, double-check the compatibility of the block off plugs with your vehicle's brake line size and thread pitch.

Overall, mastering the art of brake line block off plugs empowers automotive enthusiasts to tackle brake-related projects with confidence and ensures a smooth and secure repair or modification process.
See Also: how to capping off a brake line (step by step guide)

# Visit GenuineCarInfo

Last edited by Faisal Ahad; 07-23-2023 at 01:05 PM.