General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Brake pedal height not right

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pedal height not right

Hello, I have had brake pedal issues the 18 years I have owned my 85 22re Motorhome. I recently replaced the front pads and rear shoes.About 1500 mi ago.A couple of times the pedal was normal. I press it about 1.5 in and the brakes engaged. But normally I have to press about 3 in or more. Does anyone have an idea on what to test to get my pedal engaging with only a short step pressure? I also put a Master cyl on and bled it properly on the truck. Brakes stop fine but I would really like the pedal to engage earlier. I have adjusted the rod in the booster to 0 in clearance per FSM. Please point me what to test. Thanks, Pete
Old 05-26-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Intermittent pedal problems are typically from NOT using the parking brake, which activates the auto adjustment of the rear pads, or another fault in that system.

Look under the rear end and you will find a cable attached to a lever on each side on the backing plates. Make sure these move freely, as well the cable isn't binding, and there is a lever on top of the axel housing that could be binding also.