General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

5 weeks in the shop. Too long?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 weeks in the shop. Too long?

Ok here is the deal:

I have a mechanic in town that I have used fairly often for the past 4 or 5 years. They have always (for me) done good work for a fair price..and fast. Always used them and recommended them to people. So when my brother and I figured out we couldn't make the runner run after a HG job, I called him up and towed it down to the shop. That was January 7th.

So a week or two later I am back at home for the weekend (attending college 110 miles from home) and drive by the shop to see the 4runner in the same spot. Called the guy up and he says they can't get it in the shop due to snow and ice. I'm thinking "ok I took him a busted 4runner. Not his fault it is icy. no biggie". The next weekend I go by and it is inside the shop finally. woohoo!
He calls me the next Monday and says he got it running and from what he said, he made it sound like, but didn't actually say, it would be done in a couple of days. I call him on Friday and he hasn't had time to look at it....hmmm.

This is when I start calling him every couple of days. He installs a new MAF sensor and now it has an oil leak and what he thinks is a clogged cat (from the coolant). It has not been back in the shop in at least two weeks, maybe 3. Now granted it has been snowing a lot lately, but it runs well enough to limp it into the shop. Every time I call the guy he acts like it is not big deal and says "he needs to get back to work on it" or "been meaning to look at it". I don't know what is going on with him. 5 weeks and no 4runner.

So has he spoiled me in the past or am I right to be concerned? Maybe the fact that we kind of caused a mess ticked him off? I don't want to make him mad or anything but come on man! How do I tell him nicely that I want my 4runner back? I know if I call him and get upset I will have a nice bill and a still broken 4runner. What would you guys do (besides going back in time and fixing it right and avoiding the whole situation)?

Last edited by dropzone; 02-11-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: attempting to bypass the censor
Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so you are asking him to fix something you did after you did the head gasket?
that being said I say give the guy some time as it is probably gonna take a bit of time to figure out what you did...

I had a 97 Tacoma I bought new, at 20K the clutch had a whine that I thought was the throw out bearing. Toyota had my truck for 7 weeks...they rebuilt the transmission 2x's. They ended up putting a new transmission...was i ticked, sure but they provided a loaner the whole time..
Old 02-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes we "fixed" the headgasket but then the truck wouldn't run. We are amateurs. The mechanic fixed the timing and MAF sensor. It runs now. From what he is telling me, it just needs the oil leak fixed and a new cat or a pipe welded in its place. I was pretty understanding when I first dropped it off because we did have the engine apart and had no idea what was wrong, but at least it runs now.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by runnerC2
They have always (for me) done good work for a fair price..and fast.
Typically you get 2 of 3. Count yourself lucky and cut the guy some slack.

Calling every other day probably just pisses him off. Once a week should suffice. Give him a deadline, then stick to it.

:wabbit2:
Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my friend has one of my trucks at the moment. i paid him to swap it to a manual for me. normally i would DIY, but he's more experienced with the procedure and my spare parts are closer to him than they are to me. it was 'supposed' to have been done and sent back 22 days ago. this sort of thing comes with the territory though. patience is the only option unless you buy the tools and study the fsm

when i got hired at a shop i used to work at, i spent the first couple weeks trying to get vehicles out of the shop that had been sitting. some of them were in there for over 6 months before i got there. one was a basket case 350 out of a 99 chevy dually. i had no urge to ever own a chevy, but now I really don't want one.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, i dont know how shops have such a big problem with this. I work at a small autoshop (3 techs), and the only time a vehicle stays in the lot for over a week is if we are waiting for an engine, transmission, or special part to be shipped in.

I would go in and talk to him personally. Tell him you want it done by ____ date. And if its not. Take your rig, pay him for the work he did, and take it else where.

I would be pissed. But maybe thats why i do my own work on my rig, and am used to working in the shop i do.

Last edited by 2DoorRunner; 02-11-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
Wow, i dont know how shops have such a big problem with this.
well, in my situation, i was the only tech. the owner was an old man with severe health problems and the last of his techs bailed on him long before i got there. which is why the 350 was a basket case. it was also a small town and ordering parts is like finding life on mars when you live on the most isolated land mass on the planet (hawai'i)

but yea i would definitely be pissed too if my rig sat somewhere and didn't get finished.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you seem to be having issues go talk to him in person next time your home.

If need be write down what you want to discuss.

Has the shop had labor problems.

Is he charging you the normal shop rate that all the other customers pay???

That is the question