Tips & Tricks Tips and tricks to make the site easier to use such as posting pictures, where to host them, and avatars

Fuel pump 22r

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Mop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump 22r

I just bought a 1985 toyota pickup that allegedly had a bad head gasket. but after a compression test with good results and due to the gas smell in the oil i'm pretty sure its the fuel pump. I'm looking at buying an after market fuel pump off rockauto.com and am just looking for brand recommendations, tips on replacements and diagnostics and such. The brands rockauto has are CARTER, SPECTRA and AIRTEX, reviews?
Old 05-07-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have an 87 22r. Mine seem to die at 40k miles. (7 so far)
I just grab one from Autozone or Discount. They always have them is stock.
No gas smells in the oil.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

I bought a Delphi fuel pump last month when I noticed a little fuel leaking out of the weep hole. It looks like the original but the casting wasn't as good.

So far it has held up but it has only been a month.

The original lasted ~ 30 years so its hard to tell at this point.

For what it's worth, the OEM pump was a Kyosan Denki.

The following users liked this post:
Sandune24 (12-04-2019)
Old 05-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you running a stock carb? I've been slaving away under the hood trying to get my 83 SR5 to work properly... I'm going to start a new thread once I have enough "responses" to post one... anyway, one thing to consider:

I've installed a Weber 32/36 with electric choke. The issue I seem to be having is fuel pressure (yes, I have a regulator and gauge inline). I replaced the stock fuel pump, but I'm still having issues. After reading around people suggest removing and blocking off the OEM mechanical pump and installing a Carter 4070 electric pump for this carb... If you're running stock, then i'll ˟˟˟˟... as far as autozone or whoever goes, the stock carb does fine with their $35 mechanical knockoff.