Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

Are you Moderator Material?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Are you Moderator Material?

Nominate yourself. Nominate another. We are looking for a few new mods to add to the crew.

NOTE: This is a different sort of moderating than how YT used to be moderated. I am not sure how it will be different but with the new owner of YT - the duties may change.

Currently Moderators are asked to be as fair and balanced as possible. To be a referee of sorts. The job can be thankless and draining, but also rewarding.

I'd post up more bullet points about this but I just got back from Moab and well... I gotta go wrench on Tippy for a bit so she can drive a little. After all that is why all of us web wheel isn't it?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Please note - ANY inflammatory remarks about this thread - OR any request about old mods will be deleted. Take that over to this thread or start yer own
Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont suppose its a paid job is it? even if its not id be more than happy to, and i think im speaking for a lot of people here, but college and work would get in the way.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Nope - not paid. And frankly that can be hard. It can be hard to work for free for a new company that now owns YT... Might as well be honest about the pluses and minuses of the job.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:52 PM

yeah, seems like it would be a hella lotta fun though.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
i'd help out if needed, i've moderated many other forums in the past. im sure you all will choose who is the best and most experienced though

oh and i nominate ric
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be honest, I've got no experience in moderating forums, but if you guys need some help, I'd be glad to. I'm on here enough. I mean, I've been a proud member of the Yotatech community since mid-June 2007, and I have nearly 800 posts already. I know that does not qualify me for the position, but I would gladly help out if help is needed.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Serious inquires here only please, non essential replies will be deleted from this thread.
Keep the drama out of it.

Actually the moderator duties here will remain the same as always, as business is as usual here.

A few things:

1. Moderating or admining is a thankless job.
Most do it because they have a love for vehicle they are interested in, and because they care about the quality of the board they frequent.

2. Duties here involve:
a. move threads that are posted in the wrong section.

b. help keep the peace in threads if they turn sour, and options are:
"soft delete" the offenders post, edit their post, and if they are a repeat offender, use the infraction system here that includes many infractions that will coincide with the problem.
The infraction system now includes a point system, and if an offender receives a certain amount of points, the board autobans them.
Makes it easier taking care of the dramaqueens.

c. Participate in threads that you show interest in, get involved with the community here.

3. Do not be afraid to take action if no other staff member is on board at the time, if you have to issue a ban, do not hesitate.
There are many who come here to just stir the pot or cause drama, I think most members know who those childish members are.

4. In other words, a moderators duties involve in keeping everything rolling smoothly, and to keep the board family/work safe, which has always been Chris's and my goal here.

There are many more, but these are a good starting foundation in the daily life of a moderator or admin that takes place here daily.

There will always be troublemakers on any forum, some choose to let them run rampant or until they get enough complaints, we try to take action here early on those sort of problem childs.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Sure, Why not. i'll toss my hat into the ring.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Nothing against those who have volunteered as that is what Molly asked for but with any position of authority I think that it best if nominees are suggested by their peers not themselves; and that the person doing the nominating explain in detail why they nominated that person.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Picking new mods shouldnt be that hard to do. Look for the most respected within this community. Knowledge, communication skills, respect for others, and a fine dose of common sense is what we need.

Wabbit-seems like he has been around here since the early days of YT. He has a great knowledge of the YOTA world and seemingly has the "common sense" i was talking about.

I think Rocko would also do well. He is a very active member and offroader. He has a good knowledge of the Tacoma and now the 1st gen runner. See no reason he wouldnt do a good job.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I nominate AxleIke

Just seems obvious to me.

Sound minded, knowledgeable, pro-active participant, and well liked by all.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

I second the nomination for Isaac (AxleIke). Pretty much for all the same reasons. That and anybody from Colorado can't be that bad...
Old 09-26-2007, 12:49 PM

I nominate Tacoclimber since his views seem to line up with the rules of YT, he has been around for a long time, he keeps an even keel, and he deals well with people even if their views don't agree with his own.

TACOCLIMBER FTW!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

is the wabbit allowed to be a mod? As it would seem that he is a vendor?

If so deffinetly Wabbit, I have always pictured him as the father of yotatech
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

I don't see why a vendor couldn't be a mod (yeesh double negative). If the person is good mod material their greater sense of fairness will over-rule their business needs in terms of moderating. I also don't see why nominating yourself is a problem. You just might not get as many supporters that way.

I will second votes for Wabbit and Axle Ike.

But remember folks those nominated will have to want the job too...

Lastly this is not an official vote count system. I believe the mods chosen will ultimately be chosen by Chris and Corey... as these new mods do need to work well with the Admins. But the reason we ask you is because you all set the trend!

Last edited by Lysmachia; 09-26-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:16 PM

I would like to niminate Fustercluck if he is interested.

I find his post to be both informative. I don't personally know him but he has helped me a number of times, esp when I was very new to this board and toyotas.

Can anyone second this vote?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Definitely a second for Fuster, but I don't beleive he will be interested as he has a lot on his plate what with all of his projects...
Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 AM

No seconds for CJ?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
There are a few good suggestions in here.
I know of a few who I will be contacting personally maybe this weekend.

What we are mainly concerned about is just keeping it running smoothly and keeping any drama llamas from drawing all the attention to them.

This is a Toyota tech board after all.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 AM

I know I am a newbie here, and I have never been a Mod or Admin on a board. I do however have a job that leaves me with plenty of time to myself on the internet. I would be willing to learn and help out if needed. Who knows, it may actually benefit me in more ways that wheelin knowledge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you Moderator Material?