Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

Looking for a few good Mods (2009 Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Good point Brian (Thus the reason we didn't nab you in our last Mod search) So are any of those that have been nominated, involved with the sale of Toyota related items?
Josh works at Nix99,
I have my small side business YotaWorks

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
What favortism could a mod show when selling part? Also, would you restrict that to businesses who advertise? Lets use me for an example. My company does not advertise on here, most sales are through word of mouth. How would me being a mod generate favortism for myself or my company, outside of my deleting posts from other vendors (which would obviously get myself disbarred).

I really don't think its fair to restrict a person from being a mod, simply because they sell Toyota parts. In some cases, selling those Toyota parts gives that person the knowledge to be helpful on the board.

And at what point do you restrict a person who sells Toyota parts? Does parting out a truck in our garage count as selling Toyota items? Could that person not give themselves an upper hand as well? Should all mods be restricted from the selling of any items, or risk losing their mod status? How about someone who sells an alternator, or a wire? Or anything related to a Toyota, should they not be allowed to moderate as well?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I dont sell toyota related items. I have sold some wheel spacers with the help of YT, and with my recent accident and possible totaling of my vehicle I might have an aussie up for sale...So does this count ?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
I dont sell toyota related items. I have sold some wheel spacers with the help of YT, and with my recent accident and possible totaling of my vehicle I might have an aussie up for sale...So does this count ?
This is my question as well. Being a mod, based on the concern posted by Wabbit, you would be able to show favortism when selling of your parts.

I do not see a conflict of interest between a mod, and selling parts. A mod does not have any more advertising power than any other person. And if a person was ever caught abusing power by deleting or modifying posts, they would be banned from this message board for life.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think wabbit is more concerned about people like himself who's sole business is toyota related merchandise/fabrication... a mod who is parting out a vehicle or helping members find parts they need by mining their local salvage yards is not doing anything more then a non-staff member would and provided they don't mess with other members sales posts is clean.
similarly as long as a mod is not in a controlling management position with an advertiser I see no reason why they could not serve here.
As for mods with side jobs that are yota related I see no issues as long as they are up front about their business and do not use there position to self promote their products and services beyond that which a non-staff member would.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Im with you on that, And thats why there are more then 1 moderator, To keep others in check. Also I dont think any one of the mods would use their "power" to advertise and help sell their product. I know im going to catch some flack for this but take this thread into account :https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f11/...wheels-163348/ It took me a sec to find it, Only cause I knew it was there, But corey isnt using his power to bump it or CC it to other parts of the forums. /Off topic banterism
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

I understand Wabbits point of view but don't necessarily agree it should restrict who can become a moderator. Weather you use your power or not being a MOD gives you free advertizing. I know it may seem silly to us members that have been here for a little while but new users to a forum look up to moods with a sense of trust. A new user is always going to notice a MOD first so if they come on here looking for a part and see "Nix99 Used Toyota and Lexus parts!" underneath DeathCougars name it's gonna be more noticeable than the same thing underneath another member that may be just as trustworthy and have just as many posts.

But Like I said I don't think this should have an affect on weather or not DeathCougar get the position. I just understand What Wabbit is trying to say (See I told ya I see both sides to every story )
Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Staff

Thats the point i am trying to make. As long as a mod does not use their status to promote their company (don't see how they could anyways) or help an advertiser, they are good to go imho.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by JasonWin
I understand Wabbits point of view but don't necessarily agree it should restrict who can become a moderator. Weather you use your power or not being a MOD gives you free advertizing. I know it may seem silly to us members that have been here for a little while but new users to a forum look up to moods with a sense of trust. A new user is always going to notice a MOD first so if they come on here looking for a part and see "Nix99 Used Toyota and Lexus parts!" underneath DeathCougars name it's gonna be more noticeable than the same thing underneath another member that may be just as trustworthy and have just as many posts.

But Like I said I don't think this should have an affect on weather or not DeathCougar get the position. I just understand What Wabbit is trying to say (See I told ya I see both sides to every story )
How does being a mod have an affect on advertising? Anyone can see my profile just the same as any moderator on here. You don't see any mods sig or profile first, you see whoever is currently posting in that thread. Mods aren't given any special viewing over and other member with a bright eye catching sig line.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 AM

People just notice MODs more. I can name more MODs on this forum than other users with a similar post count and may have been here for longer.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Us Mods do moderate each other... Trust me (I have so been modded by those rascals before) So Unless you own TRDPARTS4U I don't think it is a big deal. But I do appreciate Wabbit's concern. And I was echoing the concern with regards to large and influential vendors. Even as Wabbit has said he doesn't think a vendor should be a mod... we have been trying to get him to be a mod forever... We know he is trustworthy and I doubt there would be conflict of interest, but I admire his sense of who he is and that he doesn't think it would be fair for him to mod.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Staff

Isn't TC supposed to be the only one modding you?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Im in for Tofer
Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Isn't TC supposed to be the only one modding you?
...Good one...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Sponsor

(i hope i'm not sealing my own "possible moderator" coffin by saying this but.....)

I think that wabbits concern is not with DeathCouger working at a toyota junk yard... it with me because i own and run YotaWorks on the side, and therefore am a Trail-Gear Dealer just like WabFab. I am in "direct competition" for business because we both sell the same SAS kits, gears, lockers, sliders, bumpers, etc etc from trail-gear. it is his fear that if i were to become a moderator, i could have "influential powers" over those in the market for said parts.

I can ensure you that i would never use any "powers" of a moderator to cause you to lose any business.

Last edited by Tofer; 01-14-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Point taken Wabbit, but IMHO TOFER is still a candidate to me...
Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Sponsor

Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 PM

OH OH, I want in on that !!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think also what may concern people is that if a new mod is picked and runs or sells a YOTA business that it may have influence as to being picked to be the new crop of mods just like a special interest group in congress.

Not that I am saying it's going on but I can see where someone may say to themselves HE/SHE got the job because of the sweet deals going on behind the scenes wheeling and dealing in free or discounted parts for the job of mod.

I seem to remember not to long ago that was a bad subject for one of the mods here (I am sure you all know what I am referring to) and may have been a big factor in the big defection that followed. Not that it really is anybodies business but it is something to think about and maybe should be considered when looking at some of the people vying for the open spots.

That said , I don't feel it would be a big deal but even though this is really a one man show when it comes down to it and nobody can argue with his wisdom in selections , but it may be yet another big drama issue like the last time this kind of deal came up. I say vetting is a very important and serious issue to be taken with kid gloves to make it appear to all to be a fair ,impartial and balanced process open to all that are willing to run for the position.

That's all I have and GOOD LUCK TO ALL TRYING FOR THE POSITIONS OPEN.

Last edited by olharleyman; 01-14-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Staff

Thats strange, what happened to Wabbits recent post?

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Point taken Wabbit, but IMHO TOFER is still a candidate to me...
Am I still a candidate?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Thats strange, what happened to Wabbits recent post?
WOAH UM.....X2... .....

Quick Reply: Looking for a few good Mods (2009 Edition)