Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

A friendly reminder about swearing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friendly reminder about swearing...

Please remember that this is a "G" to "PG" rated forum. That means you shouldn't type anything that you wouldn't hear in a Disney movie. There are PLENTY of forums where you can use pretty much any word you can think up, if that is the only way you have to express yourself. This is not one of those forums.

We have the censor enabled and it catches the obvious ▓▓▓▓s and ▓▓▓▓s, but recently two things have been happening...
  1. People have been using the words anyway, like I did above and we are seeing a HUGE increase in words being auto censored.
  2. People are going out of their way to use symbols and other "witty" ways of trying to get around the censor.
Please don't do either. The censor is there to catch the noobs who haven't learned to be civilized or to catch the occasional "accident" from the old pro's. Please don't use it as an excuse to use whatever language you wish.

When the mods see posts where the censor has kicked in or where the user is attempting to sneak a swear word in using special characters, etc, it is at their discretion whether the post gets edited or deleted. Please don't whine about it, this rule is nothing new and if you can't manage to post without four letter words then post it on one of the forums where it is allowed.

Remember, if it ain't Disney safe, it won't fly.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Oh poopies. Can I still say "ass", "damn", and "crap"? These are the bare minimum I can convey certain feelings with. Delete at will.

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-08-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

For right now, the censor only goes after the stronger words. That doesn't mean a free for all with the words that aren't censored though.

To be perfectly clear, the idea is that the language here be clean as a Disney film. However, we also realize that it's *mostly* adults here. So, please be on your best language behavior when posting here and use stronger words sparingly. They have more impact that way and you won't run afoul of the Disney rules.

Not everyone here swears like a truck driver, like I have been accused of doing. So, the goal is to arrive at a balance that doesn't chase off those who can't stand seeing it, while also not placing excessive limits on how people express themselves. As you can see, it's a balancing act. What we ask is that those sensitive to language not insist on language that is pure as the driven snow, while those who curse, try to refrain from doing so in their posts.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:36 PM

Its one of the reasons I really like this board, the G rating, makes it more mature.. if that makes sense
Old 07-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

In tracking the language on here, it's really very few who can't seem to manage to post without pushing the limits of good taste or charging right over the line and tripping the censor.

Slowly, but surely, we are dealing with them on an individual basis and "encouraging" them to get a thesaurus.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WATRD
That means you shouldn't type anything that you wouldn't hear in a Disney movie.

When the mods see posts where the censor has kicked in or where the user is attempting to sneak a swear word in using special characters, etc, it is at their discretion whether the post gets edited or deleted. Please don't whine about it, this rule is nothing new and if you can't manage to post without four letter words then post it on one of the forums where it is allowed.

Remember, if it ain't Disney safe, it won't fly.
I'd like to see this rule enforced more and the habitual abusers get a

My two boys both like to surf Yotatech with me as they love Toyotas but as of late I've had to explain too many words to them that I don't want them learning.

Thank you for exhibiting restraint when posting and if you wish to swear just use the smileys and we will get the picture.