Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

TRD Tundra coil lift...Which shocks to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD Tundra coil lift...Which shocks to use?

Hey all,
I just scored a set of the yellow/yellow, yellow/blue TRD coils to lift the front of my Runner. They came with the yellow/blue Bilsteins. Are these usable or are they gonna be too stiff?
I've heard of people using OME shocks with these and also blue TRD tokicos. Are the Tokicos available anymore?
One more thing...Where do I find a 3/8" topout spacer to go with this? Would it be for a Tundra or a 4runner? This is the thread I have been researching.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/n...4runner-41848/
Attached Thumbnails TRD Tundra coil lift...Which shocks to use?-coils-201.jpg  
Old 11-11-2009, 02:00 PM

I use the stiffer of the OME shocks, the ride is nice. I don't know about the spacer though.

-Simon
Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 PM

You can find info in the FAQ section of Sonoran Steel's website. They use Bilstein 5125s with the Tundra TRD coils up front. Sonoran Steel custom valves them for the Tundra TRD coils. The FAQ section is at the bottom of this page.

I have the Sonoran Steel system 7.2 on both of my 2001 4runners.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM

X2 on the Billi's from Sonoran Steel, they ride far better than the the OE Toyota Taco units.

A
Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's been a progression of shocks used with the Tundra coils. When Bamachem first did a write up, the red/blue bilsteins from tundra 2wd were being used, then it went to the double cab Tacoma Tokico, then the green Tokico, and now the 5125 bilsteins. I think the black Tokico that were stocked on tacoma double cabs were being used by some people too, but they were too stiff for most people.
I am running the blue/red bilsteins with an ARB bumper and the ride is great. Would any of the other shocks make the ride better? probably, but I am happy with it for now.
This is on an 03 Tacoma double cab.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Unless you buy the complete front lift from SS, you won't be getting those custom valved Billsteins from them. They are only sold in the front lift kit or the complete kit. And you've obviously already got the coils...

I would suggest the OME N91s. I've just recently switched to this and I have been very pleased with how my 4runner is riding now.

Just whatever you do, DO NOT try to run the Billstein 5100s up front that they run on the Tacos up front ...those absolutely suck on the 4Runner. And also stay away from the OME N91c.

And this is the top out spacer you want: ToytecLifts Front Top Plate Spacer Kit . You can also get it from SS.

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 11-12-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 PM

I've seen the Billi shocks (same in looks) as the ones SS sells, whether they are valved the same I Know not. But the shocks themselves are available for many applications with the height adjustment rings same as the ones I'm running (less the SS valving if such a difference exists).

A
Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by theferg
Unless you buy the complete front lift from SS, you won't be getting those custom valved Billsteins from them. They are only sold in the front lift kit or the complete kit. And you've obviously already got the coils...

I would suggest the OME N91s. I've just recently switched to this and I have been very pleased with how my 4runner is riding now.

-Ferg-
x2 really liking my TRD with the OME N91
Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the replies!!! Very helpful so far.
Yes as stated I scored these assemblies rediculously cheap.
I 've heard most people are running the OME shocks with these and just wanted some more options, as I know SS will not sell the custom 5125 shocks separate.
Will the TRD Billies in the picture ride decent on my 4runner?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
I've seen the Billi shocks (same in looks) as the ones SS sells, whether they are valved the same I Know not. But the shocks themselves are available for many applications with the height adjustment rings same as the ones I'm running (less the SS valving if such a difference exists).

A
The 5100s that they run up front on Tacos (and I believe Tundras as well) look pretty much exactly the same. I ran these on my 4runner for about a year. They provided a great lift/ride height, but rode like crap. I dunno how I even put up with them for that long. FWIW, I originally was skeptical about SS getting theirs custom valved, but I've been convinced.

Last edited by theferg; 11-12-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You basically have two options. You can buy everything from Steve(SS) or you go about piecing it together. If you want the specially valved bilsteins, get Steve's kit.
However, before he started using those, he recommended and everyon that bought the kit was getting those aqua colored Tokicos and I believe they were the same as the blue tokico shocks that came on 01-04 double cab trucks. If you want to try those out, start hitting the forums and salvage yards and find a pair of those.
I have not decided what I am going to run when the Blue red TRD's Bilsteins go out on me, but for now, I am happy with them.
Hey, here's my writeup on my install.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/m...p-pics-118157/
Old 11-15-2009, 10:46 AM

I know people say the yellow OEM Billies that my coils came with are not good to use. Are they too stiff?
According to this link on the Tundra forum they are almost the same shock as the red/blue 2wd Billies that you are running. Anyone ever tried my yellow ones?

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...cks-101-q-and/
Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM

toyota guy. Did you ever try that setup you bought??? I just scored ther same set up and was wondering the same as you. They were the TRD yy/by coils with the stock yellow/blue bills as pictured right.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Bobzilla,

I've been broke as a joke lately! Just ordered the revtek 10mm spacer and diff drop kit from Wheeler's. As soon as those come in I will post a pictorial and brief write up. I personally think these shocks will ride fine! For what I paid for them I can live with it for a bit if otherwise!

Cheers
Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 AM

I've been using those shocks because I got the same exact setup on ebay for dirt cheap. The ride is fine for me. I honestly didn't notice a harsh ride or anything after the lift.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM

I also have the yy/by trd coils with the yellow and blue bilsteins. (part # 48510-AF030) I plan on putting those in with a 5/8" top out spacer to go with my 9 wrap fzj80 coils in the rear. How do these yellow bilsteins ride? If they are nice I will go with them until they are worn. Can the stock top hats from the tundra fit in the 4runner? Any modifications needed to fit these tundra parts in a 4runner?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 AM

You'll need the mounts from your 4runner, if thier in good shape,and longer studs for the top out spacer. Wheelers has em and thier not too far from you in Grant Pass. I will interested in how much rake you get with the 9wraps. Some get a lot some about the same as the 7.5's. what shocks are you gonna use??? Shoot some pics when your all done!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the reply bobzilla, I'll probably just have them shipped from wheelers since thats about a 4 hour drive. I'm curious about how much rake i'll see and what numbers i'll see for the rear lift with 9wraps. I also have the 8 wraps just in case the 9s are too long. I'm not sure what kind of shocks i'm going to use for the rear. Still debating between using stock rear LC shocks (Black) OME, or cheap skyjackers. I've tried searching a bunch but I couldn't find much on this type of setup. I know it's the SS1.2 system. Anyone have good links to a build (lift setup) with trd/fj80 coils? I will be sure to post up pictures of what i get done probably in a new thread!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM

I picked up some Bilstein shocks and Tundra coils off someone the other for very cheap. I though they were yy/yb, but turns out the coils are red yellow/ red blue I believe. Will these puppies still work well in my 97 4runner ltd? Or will I need to get something special for them?
Attached Thumbnails TRD Tundra coil lift...Which shocks to use?-shocks.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Those dont look like Tundra struts. Are you sure those did not come from a tacoma

Quick Reply: TRD Tundra coil lift...Which shocks to use?