Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Which transmission do I use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Which transmission do I use?

i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but...
I have a newly acquired '84 FJ60 that I want to swap a diesel into, and I plan on getting 300+ lb/ft out of it... What transmission should I get, I don't want the 4 spd that comes with the truck, I would like a mid 90's 5 spd, like an r150... They all seem similar with a few differences, like the R series and the W series and so on... I can't seem to figure out which one I should buy... Which do you guys run, which would take my power the best and not completely blow my budget? And if anyone has one for cheap in the bay area I might just drop by...
Thanks
Also, forgot to add... I plan on using this mostly on the road but it will also be for off some decent road use.

Last edited by foam; 02-01-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Good question. I can't advise you. Not too many Cruiser on YT. Might wanna check out ih8mud.com.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
What engine are you going to use? What transfer case?

The r150 is probably the best bet for what your after power wise, but people put v8s in front of w's all the time.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:08 PM

I'm using an OM617 built for more power than it should have, dunno what t-case yet though... I'm a newbie, don't know much about what's out there.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
t-case - RF1 with 23spline.

if using R series. Depends on motor capabilities R151 has lower 1st gear than R150.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Where are you located? I have several "old style" pre-tacoma R150 transmissions, and an early 90's rebuilt W56. Don't know a whole lot about the diesel options or the engine bolt pattern, but that might be something to look into. Generally speaking, the V6 "VZ" bolt pattern is what you'll find for the R series trans, but you could get a different bell housing from other applications like the Supra. The W Series most commonly had the 22R/RE engine attached to it, atleast in the pickup application.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by atcfixer
Where are you located? I have several "old style" pre-tacoma R150 transmissions, and an early 90's rebuilt W56. Don't know a whole lot about the diesel options or the engine bolt pattern, but that might be something to look into. Generally speaking, the V6 "VZ" bolt pattern is what you'll find for the R series trans, but you could get a different bell housing from other applications like the Supra. The W Series most commonly had the 22R/RE engine attached to it, atleast in the pickup application.
Sorry, I'm out in ca... looks like you're in michigan.. I think I'm going to save up and get a nice rebuilt trans from marlin, maybe strip a case off a junker.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Could always go for a vacation to Michigan lol. Yea it's probably 30 hours one way driving so kind of out of the question. I'm sure shipping would be way too much, little packages seem to run 50% higher to CA for some reason vs other states.

Anyway good luck with the build. Another possible R series trans could be the R154 from a Supra, they are known for being strong, but it is a car transmission, so the gear ratios inside might not match up very well to the diesel. They are known to be quite strong though. If I recall correctly, people push 500-600hp w\o modding them, of course research yourself to validate since my memory isn't exactly the best.