Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Toyota Truck 1989 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Truck 1989 won't start

I have a 1989 Toyota Truck with a 22R engine.I installed a new timing chain in it and it ran good for a couple days and then the last time driving it it just died. now it won't start. When you try to start it it want to start but it acts like its out of gas. So I checked for gas and the Weber carburetor is getting gas. I also made sure it is getting spark and it is. I think its in the emission but not sure. If there was a stuck EGR, would that keep it from starting? The wield thing is that it was running good when it just died. Please help me if you might know what it is
Old 12-01-2016, 11:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your sure it is getting fuel and has spark the only other thing it can be is timing or compression

Crank pulley come loose??

Distributor move ?

You might want to pull the valve cover and look down at the timing chain
Old 12-04-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You can cap off all the vacuum ports on the EGR to rule it out.

Yes, it could cause the truck to not run if it's stuck open. Suspicious that it happened soon after a timing chain job, though. I'd be more likely to believe it has something to do with that, but the EGR is definitely worth checking.

Does "ran good" mean it ran like it did before doing the timing chain, or that it wasn't running great, but but was running? I mean was it running totally fine then just died, or was it kind of struggling from the start after putting things back together?