Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Toyota Pickup 4 cylinder better than V6? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im buying a 4runner for practically nothing that my step dad used to own as the new canadite for my actual toy not dd
anyways unless it popped a hg in the first 100,000 miles it has only had one set of hg put in it in the 450000 miles it has on the clock granted it idles at like 2 grand cause the idle screw siesed open and the transmission takes forever to shift when driving normal (21 mpgs btw and still running as good as any motor with that many miles can without being rebuilt) so not all 3.slows are bad its like a lemon but in a good way lol
im a 22re guy cause they are easy to work on
Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 vs v4

Thanks for letting me join in and learn. I currently have a 2002 Ford ranger I need to replace. I'm looking at the Toyota Tacoma. I use it for a pest control truck (tank in rear). My ranger is a v6 and I don't want to be underpowered. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Karl s; 04-16-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:27 PM

22re

I have a 94 pickup with 22re and it survived my young crazy days! I bought it on Aug 25, 2000 and have had very few problems other than the norm (battery, starter,alternator). It only has 156,000 miles on it so I have plenty of life left. Only issue I have had is no matter what I did, I could never get over 15mpg with the 4 cylinder.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:37 PM

If you are new to turning wrenches and plan to work on your new Toy yourself I would go with a 22r. The 3.0 is a good engine if it is maintained as several have mentioned. A early model Toyota with a 4 cylinder will get you into the game and engine parts are cheaper cause they are everywhere. I have owned both now I currently have a 90 4runner 2 door with a 5 spd and the 3.0 engine. I will say it is different to drive it does burn more fuel. I have not completed any mods yet still trying to catch her up on basic maintenance ( hoses , leaks , fluid changes etc. ) so if you are a skilled mechanic go with the V6 if not go with the 22r, re or what ever you can find. I also agree with getting a standard transmission. besides making you a better driver its a good way of keeping people from wanting to use your ride. " Most folks today can't operate a 4 way stop let alone a standard transmission" good luck.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It depends on what you're looking for, simplicity of a 22RE or more HP/torque in the v6. I have a 2014 v6 Tacoma and a 1993 4cyl 22RE 4x4 and love both. The 4 cyl pickup used to have lots of HP/Torque until I threw a Snug Top camper on it to keep the dogs from jumping out onto the freeway. Choose wisely depending on what your heart wants otherwise you won't be happy and it'll bother you until you dump it. Good Luck
Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This for the most is a old thread.

Between the 3.0 and the 2.4 in any version .

My choice would be the 2.4 only for the ease of working on it.

Sure they have head gasket and timing chain problems what engine does not have these same things if you compare the numbers.

I am now pretty much sold on the 3.4 after all the bugs are worked out I am quite happy with mine.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I figured I would chime in on this long time battle of 22re vs 3.0 since I have spent the last 6 years of my life doing nothing but working on, driving, studying, dismantling and cussing a bibles worth at both. Owned and driven more of them than I could ever remember, had every share of issues from each and heard many of opinions mostly in favor of the 22RE. I have grown to love the both but here's my break down and opinion of each. Take it or leave it, just my experience....

22RE is for the most part bullet proof that is because while they can still develop issues like knocking ticking smoking they will just keep running. It's not that you should but it's that so many don't care of the issues because the truck can still run that is has been called bullet proof. Also heard a million times "you can't kill a 22re". Many of trucks will develop a knock, valve train noise or other sounds and guys will end up running them for years before they grenade. It's all due to the simplicity the engine and with its timing chain design there's just not much to go wrong. When running right the gas mileage can be great although many trucks will run healthy but require a heavy foot at faster highway speeds.

Upside:

Simple basic design with one head
Extremely reliable with timing chain and many have run past 300k on original chain
Most everything is very easy to get to
20++ mpg when running right
Higher value than same year 3.0 (if SR5)
Super fast to remove engine

Down side:

Much less power than a healthy 3.0
Timing cover is a mess and total pain for first timers, also must be very careful to keep from leaking when reassembling. It's really best to do the head gasket for a proper seal

Overall: it has developed a huge name for itself being a simple engine that if taken care of or not can usually run 300k plus. While power is not huge you are rewarded with reliability and great mileage.

3.0 3VZE was toyotas experiment for a V6 in a truck and earned powerful praise in its day. It has over the years gained names like 3.slo, dog motor, gutless etc and that's because compared to the 22RE there's just a whole lot more going on under the hood which means more to go wrong and more to cause power loss. People think because it's a Toyota you can run it on the same oil for 50,000 miles and never do any maintenance and it will be just fine. With the mass of vacuum lines it can be overwhelming to many and the trucks are known to develop issues which have guys tracking them down for months. I have at times sworn I would never own another for personal after dealing with never ending issues on some but over the years learning them that has changed. A 3.0 must be looked after and for the most part as long as the required maintence is done on time they can be a super smooth running engine that will maintain 20mpg in the right truck. I own a 90 4Runner with 116k miles that has always been taken To Toyota by the previous owner and that truck runs like a champ. Itl cruise 70mph with very little pedal and I can't complain about the gas mileage. I hear of many that say the truck runs great but they can barely manage 12-14mpg. Also many who firmly believe the 22RE has more power, when both are healthy the 3.0 has much more power but not too many 3.0s are running their best. Head gaskets blow on the trucks left and right which was a ofcourse a recall but many being fixed improperly they will only continue to keep going out. 80% of 3.0 trucks I've bought had blown head gaskets in fact. Don't let that scare you tho, a properly fixed head gasket can last just as long as any 22RE

Upside:
great power when running right
Easy timing belt change
Smooth running

Down side:
More prone for head gasket issues
Prone for power loss issues
Typical gas mileage
Knock sensor under lower intake

Overall:
You must buy a 3.0 that has been well taken care of and if so it will have decent power, and run very smooth. Just be prepared to learn the truck so you can tackle the common issues which will likely come up

Last edited by 86 SR5 4x4; 01-12-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:04 PM

The 22R/RE is an extremely robust engine design. It is rugged, durable, reliable and very, very simple. It is, however, an anemic powerplant. Even with a blower or a turbocharger and spending a small fortune you will be fortunate to reach power levels attainable by a mildly modified 3rz.

If you value thrift, ruggedness and simplicity a 22R is almost unbeatable by any engine of any manufacture in this regard. The R series Yota's were 200k engines in the days where 125k was good.

A 3rz (2.7L) is a bit more complex with the electronics but is easy to swap into both 22R and 3.0V6 equipped Yotas. The 3.0 V6 has a poor reputation and is known as a boat anchor to most. Like anything, its problems can be quite overstated. Since it's always compared to the 22R (essentially an anvil of an engine) so often it's understandable why many think of it as a bastard. The 3.0 has it's problems but with proper maintenance it should be reliable.

My choice is always 22R. If not 22R, 3rz swap.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:17 PM

I agree 86 SR5 4x4. If you take care of any vehicle maintenance wise you will find it will take care of you. If you ignore regular maintenance it will not last.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by loki993
Ive been looking for something inexpensive and reliable. Ive always liked the Toyotas. Ive been thinking about maybe getting some money up and starting to look for one. I have some questions though. the biggest right now is 6 cylinder vs 4 cylinder. I would have assumed the 6 cylinder, more power more torque is always good right. Thing is Ive seen more than a few people say the 4 is better.
Ive also heard that the 6 cylinder doesn't last as long ans is not as reliable as the 4. Is this true?? If so why?

Also looking around in Craigslist in the price range I'm thinking of getting something in, under 2k, I see hardly any 4 cylinders, but there are a few 6s and a fair amount of 4runners.

So why does it seem that the 4 cylinders get more recommendations that the 6s?
The v6 had a timing belt witch would tear apart and a 4cly had a chain witch was better and there both easy to work on I've owned both I liked the v6 better cause it does have more power and 4cly didn't in less u built it but the v6 had top end and bottom and the 4cly had bottom end they both good motors
Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbyjimb
The 22R/RE is an extremely robust engine design. It is rugged, durable, reliable and very, very simple. It is, however, an anemic powerplant. Even with a blower or a turbocharger and spending a small fortune you will be fortunate to reach power levels attainable by a mildly modified 3rz.

If you value thrift, ruggedness and simplicity a 22R is almost unbeatable by any engine of any manufacture in this regard. The R series Yota's were 200k engines in the days where 125k was good.

A 3rz (2.7L) is a bit more complex with the electronics but is easy to swap into both 22R and 3.0V6 equipped Yotas. The 3.0 V6 has a poor reputation and is known as a boat anchor to most. Like anything, its problems can be quite overstated. Since it's always compared to the 22R (essentially an anvil of an engine) so often it's understandable why many think of it as a bastard. The 3.0 has it's problems but with proper maintenance it should be reliable.

My choice is always 22R. If not 22R, 3rz swap.

My 1993 22RE has 160,000 miles. Just did the timing chain last year and changed the drivetrain fluids last month. It purrs along just fine.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:48 PM

Never had a problem out of my v6 I've had both and never had problems out of motors

V6

4cly