Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Spindle and spindle nut thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spindle and spindle nut thread

Im still pretty noob with this stuff but i was having an issue with my manual locking hubs. I toom em off, cleaned em and all that. I also had to tighten the 2nd axle or spindle nut cuz my wheel had some play up and down. Gonna replace bearings very soon btw. Anyhow, what the heck is the part called that the spindle nut/axle nut threads on to? Is it a spindle? I know its not the cv axle. It encases the axle. The problem is the threads on the spindle??? Its cross threaded and chipped very badly like someone smacked it with a freaking hammer. Needless to say i cant torque it down right and i know this is bad news but cant find that part or ANY info on it. I get most of my parts on rock auto. Anyway, any help is appreciated, thx yota tech.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Consult your manual the first page is a diagram, FSM FA-45 to FA-48. Try to stick to one thread per repair or you just make it harder for people trying to help you, and impossible for people with similar issues to find all the information.

The drive shaft, slips thru the steering knuckle
Old 01-17-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by kazuya2416
Im still pretty noob with this stuff but i was having an issue with my manual locking hubs. I toom em off, cleaned em and all that. I also had to tighten the 2nd axle or spindle nut cuz my wheel had some play up and down. Gonna replace bearings very soon btw. Anyhow, what the heck is the part called that the spindle nut/axle nut threads on to? Is it a spindle? I know its not the cv axle. It encases the axle. The problem is the threads on the spindle??? Its cross threaded and chipped very badly like someone smacked it with a freaking hammer. Needless to say i cant torque it down right and i know this is bad news but cant find that part or ANY info on it. I get most of my parts on rock auto. Anyway, any help is appreciated, thx yota tech.

hey there Kazuya, if I understand your description correctly the part you are asking about is indeed the spindle. Lowrangeoffroad.com sells replacements for the solid axle trucks/4runners.
here's the link: http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyot...olid-axle.html
You didn't mention in your post what year/model you are working on. If you have the IFS you might have a problem. If that's the case your best bet is probably to get one from a scrap yard.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:02 PM

THANK YOU 85trd4runner. I thought so. I have a 1986 toyota pickup 22r. It DOES indeed have ifs. Control arms and manual locking hubs. I went to tighten the spindle/axle nut like i said, because there was some play in the wheel and noticed when i took the first nut off, the threads on the spindle were cross threaded AND it was chipped badly. Because of this, i cannot get the nut on properly and torque it correctly. I cannot find the part on rock auto, i checked for the steering knuckle but it doesn't look like the correct part. There has to be a place where i can get a new "spindle" with new threads, this seems really weird.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:02 PM

and if i go to the scrap yard, i just take off the spindle? Is that the name for it?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 PM

The 4wd has
base part number
43211(rh) or 43212(LH)

43211 KNUCKLE, STEERING, RH

43201-35020

43212 KNUCKLE, STEERING, LH

43202-35010

The 2wd has the same base numbers

It's still called "steering knuckle". Wether there is a hollow or solid spindle on it..

​​​​
Old 01-17-2017, 11:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am not that far away I have a used one you can have already removed from the truck.

Extra Nuts if you need them as well

I will most likely never use it

Send me a Pm if your interested

Last edited by wyoming9; 01-17-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I am not that far away I have a used one you can have already removed from the truck.

Extra Nuts if you need them as well

I will most likely never use it

Send me a Pm if your interested
omg yes!!! I will pm you
Old 01-18-2017, 11:59 AM

thanks a lot 94, thats exactly what i was asking for, i just downloaded the fsm too, but for the 1988, couldn't find 86. Hoping they are the same.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by kazuya2416
thanks a lot 94, thats exactly what i was asking for, i just downloaded the fsm too, but for the 1988, couldn't find 86. Hoping they are the same.
86 88 whatever close enough...., to get you in trouble JK

There are other model year copies floating around but you'll have to do the work to find them. Ever since Toyota subbed out the distribution there have been lots of take down notices so people are reluctant to direct link them.

There are laws that require auto manufacturers to provide complete information to anyone, but it doesn't come free. Your local parts counter person can print out the assembly diagrams if you get stuck or frustrated, just ask nicely ect.

Several of the Russian domains still have the diagrams online also, they don't seem to care as much about the takedowns. But I am still reluctant to direct link them, since I have not sat down and mirrored the websites yet.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:23 PM

heres one i found but id much rather have your's wyoming

http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...3059ef5fc59b9/
Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I guess in a move to raise some capitol Toyota sold the FSM`s to Helm inc .

Who raised the prices about triple and if they felt there was not enough interest would no longer offer that manual in a printed version

Then there lawyers are doing the full court press of any online free versions copy right infringement

I guess I am old fashioned I like printed