Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Replaced Fuel Pump Truck Wont Start

Old 11-30-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced Fuel Pump Truck Wont Start

Hey guys, this is my first thread so sorry if it's in the wrong spot. Anyway, I should probably start from the beginning.

I bought my 94 4runner back in March of this year, the guy had done a 3.4 swap and blew a head gasket and I think cracked the block. So I bought a JDM 3.4L engine swapped them out and she fired up. Didn't idle great at all and would stall sometimes, was throwing a code for the engine coolant temperature sensor, so I replaced the sensor and she ran waaay better, still not perfect but better. Then after a month of driving it, it started with the rough idle again and stalling. It was throwing a p0130, p0135, and a p0110 code. So I swapped out the 02 sensor, cleaned the TB and IAC and MAF sensor, didn't help.

When I bought the 4runner the guy said the fuel pump might be bad and gave me a new pump with the truck, so I decided to swap the pump out since I have one laying around. So I unplug the MAF sensor and let the engine run the gas was out of the lines, drop the tank swap the pump hook it all back up, and now the truck wont start....
The engine turns over, I unhooked the fuel rail and it's spraying fuel, so I know the pump works. I pulled a spark plug and it's dry and also not sparking....
It was throwing a p0335 code which is for the crankshaft position sensor, swapped that out, cleared the code, and it still won't start....
I have no idea what to do...
Old 11-30-2016, 06:15 PM

I have almost the same set of issues with a 1993 Pickup, minus the replacement fuel pump.

When you unhooked the MAF (air flow sensor), how long did it run? And have you pulled the EFI fuse for a few minutes to reset the system?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:23 PM

It only ran for about 10 seconds before dying. I haven't tried unplugging EFI fuse, I'll go pull it right now!

It ran fine before I swapped the fuel pump, idk what changed between then and now but it's frustrating haha
Old 11-30-2016, 06:54 PM

These 3VZE's make my head hurt. What seems logical on other engines, isn't so much with these. I've gotten very well acquainted with the manuals and my multi-meter.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

By chance did the ECM get wet ??

If you have the correct fuel pressure you did check with a gauge ??

Did installing the fuel pump bracket cause lots of dirt to get knocked loose causing the pressure to drop .

Did you bend a pin plugging the MAF sensor back in ??

So at this time all the codes are cleared and the light has not turned back on??

You have no injectors firing and no spark .

Some of the codes will shut off ignition and the injectors

Just what year 3.4 engine harness are you using??

Who did the merging of the wire harnesses ??

Last edited by wyoming9; 12-01-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:05 PM

Okay, I think I figured it out. Just posting this in case someone has the same problems I did.

The guy who swapped the motor over the first time used a 97' donor... with a 97' harness.
The JDM engine I bought was from an 03' which uses a different wI ring harness. I believe this has been my issue all along. Going to buy a plug and play harness for an 03' this week and wire it up when it gets here. I'll post the results after.

Search this Thread