Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Ready to turn over, a dopey question so it belongs here

Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to turn over, a dopey question so it belongs here

Just kidding all, there is no dopey question, I did all this work, I don't want to blow it up...Turns out I'm very clean, perhaps too clean or generous with water. Drained the pan this morning to fill with startup oil, half of it was water. Not too high, not above the gasket perhaps 7 or so quarts of liquid, so the crank hasn't been drowning in water for weeks. But perhaps I have a cylinder full of water? My concern is starting it and having it try to compress water and really break something..My current plan is to turn it over initially w/ starter no fuel, no spark, no EFI, just like a complete rebuild startup. Is this the consensus of a way to go?? It is colorful, but I don't want a ruined paperweight under the hood..
Thanks all J
Attached Thumbnails Ready to turn over, a dopey question so it belongs here-almost-done.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Remove the spark plugs before turning it over.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are concerned about possible water in a cylinder, remove the spark plugs and spin the engine over. That way if there is anything in a cylinder, it can escape through the spark plug hole and not damage the motor.
I would be very concerned if I found seven quarts of water in the oil pan! Where did it come from? I would find the source of the water in the pan before I would think about turning the engine over.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:00 AM

Thanks

I didn't find 7 quarts of water, I found 5 quarts of oil and at most 2 quarts of water(a guess, didn't measure it), fell out first of course as it's heaviest/ densest in the well of the pan. Just me washing around (inside and out) got a little carried away. I figure a couple turns with the starter opening up the exhaust valves should drain it out through the manifold, already drilled a small hole in the muffler at the lowest point to be sealed with a good sheet metal screw. Hence not just "powering it up", then again I'm not sure anything is in the cylinders, I didn't flush directly into the intakes when the manifold was off, just some water through the EGR ports and piping around the rear of the head etc. But figure at least one intake valve was open somewhere. Just looking for a consensus, no problems expected, just wondering if I perhaps overlooked something. Don't want to leave it sitting for any rust to set in.. Thankz again
Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, I would pull the spark plugs and spin it over before cranking it.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 AM

That was my plan

Thanks, washed a Toro lawnmower inside and out one, no ill effects, but this isn't a lawnmower and I didn't work on it since March
Old 06-22-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your just supposed to wash the engine parts Not the completed Engine in the Dish washer.

Just How did you fit it in ??
Old 06-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Went smoothly

No issue whatsoever, but did discover a finicky starter, specifically the solenoid. Time to open it up and solder some pennies in there..Thanks all
Old 06-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowbirdie
No issue whatsoever, but did discover a finicky starter, specifically the solenoid. Time to open it up and solder some pennies in there..Thanks all
Make sure those pennies are pre-1982.

Pennies since then are only copper flashed zinc.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM

yeppers "real pennies"

I did this on an 82 Tercel back when I worked at Qualcomm your PCS CDMA cell phone phonemaker. The wear in the contact disk was precisely the size of a penny, times 2, drove it for another 4 years, never a problem, but requires a big soldering iron!!