Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Oil leak with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak with pictures

Hello,

Recently I have noticed that I have been leaking a small amount of oil from two places. I took some pictures and maybe you guys could help me out in fixing them.

Here is the first one

Here is the second one, I am not sure if it is leaking or what, it looks really greasy.

And the last one, I did not find an actual dripping leak but I am assuming it is coming from around this area.

Thanks much guys.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:10 PM

I'm no expert, but #1...This is the big one....check above the bell housing, see if it's covered in oil. I would strongly suspect a valve cover gasket if it is...esp. the 1/2 moon cam seals! My truck had the same issue. It IS a 22RE, right? Degrease the top of the bell housing if oily, change gasket kit, and watch if for a while.

If it's not coming from the valve cover, then uh oh - oil pan gasket, or worse...rear main seal, possibly, = dropping the tranny to fix. Does the clutch slip? If so, I'd suspect oil inside the tranny housing. One step at a time; mine was just the valve cover gasket, yours may be, too!

Pic #2: I'd de-grease the area, wash it off, let it dry, and then see where it's actually coming from. Could be the drain plug, in which case you are in luck!! If that your front diff? I hope it doesn't tie in with the last pic....

#3: personally, I wouldn't worry about that for now, but it SHOULD be checked out. Does it grind in 4 wheel, when turning? Looks like it could be an oil seal related to one of the front (driver's side?) axles...someone with more experience than I will be along soon to chip in, but this should give you some ideas!
Old 09-18-2011, 02:35 PM

GuitarMike, thank you much for your response. I should have mentioned it is the 3vze automatic. Would any degreaser work or is there a heavy duty degreaser that is the best for this kind of thing?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto parts store has spray on, rinse off that works good, but you can give any degreaser a try.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM

No prob, GB.
Anything like Simple Green...I used Gunk degreaser on mine, it's not so 'eco friendly'. What RW said...household grease cleaners ("Orange Clean" etc). What you wanna do is not necessarily get it pristine, but get it 'dry'...so you can spot new oil.

Spray on...maybe brush with a green scotch-brite pad, or brush...spray more on....hose off. Repeat if necessary. I don't brush Gunk, because it is pretty harsh! The others, I do....it will work. Simple green just got off a bunch of 80/90 gear oil from my gas tank etc. where it sprayed!!

Find leak source on a 'clean field'...then more pics and repost here if necessary! I suspect your valve cover gasket for the 1st one...easy fix, crossing fingers for ya...
Old 09-21-2011, 01:45 PM

My 22r was leaking oil too. New Valve cover gasket and its fixed. Its super easy to do too.