Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

New Project and New to this Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Project and New to this Forum

Hey everyone! As the title states I am new to this forum. From what I can tell so far this site should hopefully save me from a lot of trail and error! Ok To start out with I saved a 85 extra cab from completly being taken over by RATS and slowly brought it back to life. Robbed a 22re out of a celica and converted the auto to manual tranny. Took all last summer to do it since i was working 60+ hrs a week.. As of bout a month ago work has slowed down and i can spend time with my truck.... The first thing I wanted to do is is regear the transfer case with the "trail tamer 4.7-1" Well I lucked out and a friend of mine was going to dual cases in his 91.. so i payed him a little diffrence and we swaped cases! I was thinking this will save time and money since it's allready done... So i slap my "new" T-case in there bolt it up and go to put the shifter back in there and to my suprize! NO 4LO!? and I only have 3 shift positions 2wd, 4hi, neutral... so now i'm ! I call him up and before i could say anything he states he has the same problem! So I pull mine and head to his house! come to find out the shift forks are diffrent??? who knew??? all and all it was an easy fix we swaped froks and that's the end of it..

Just wondering has anybody experienced this problem before and is it something like 88 down and 89 and new or what..

Also after I finished with the T-case i needed to lengthen my drive shaft. So i went and pulled one from a salvaged 87 manual pick up. I cut and splice it overall its like 3 1/2 inches longer... I go to put the dang thing in and it seems like the constant velocity joint won't flex enought to make contact with the flange on the transfer case WTF! (side be side my old drive shaft has bout 1/4 '' more play) The bottom with touch but the top lack about a 1/4 inch from touching the flange!???? I am at my witts end...

maybe i am to close to the forest to see the trees.. any advice would help

I'll post pics tommorow

Last edited by sw20; 08-06-2007 at 06:51 PM.