Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

New engine oil recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU

drive it till it won't drive no more and of course keep an eye on your oil level. That's more than most people do, we are the exception sad to say but it's true most don't care even if the engine light is on.

Lol plenty of us have stories of a quart a day so on that scale your kicking butt.
See, I knew I'd heard about way worse oil burning stories than yours!

It's probably not OK to speak of mechanic-in-a-bottle on YT, but before the rebuild I dumped a can of engine restore in the oil and a little in each spark plug hole. That blue gritty stuff did boost up and even out my compression some and didn't seem to have a negative effect, though I don't know about the long-term cause my chain tensioner ate it several hundred miles later - probably not related (the engine was gonna go soon no matter what I did). That product's marketed to seal oil rings in worn out engines, but this topic probably belongs in the "pour some comet/bon Ami in the combustion chambers" category...

You'll feel less crappy about it later. I wanted to ghost ride my 4Runner off a cliff many times before I finally got it right.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
My last 85 I buggered the head gasket doing the timing chain and went through a 1/2 -1 quart a day. Depending on driving distance. I am serious when I say this. Even though I added a actual oil pressure gauge that worked. I could actually tell when it was a quart down because the power was less. Seriously I lost power when it was a quart low.

On the right side with all that oil leaking I had zero rust issues on my undercarriage. Silver lining.