Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

need help with 89 Pickup shocks with 4.5" lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
need help with 89 Pickup shocks with 4.5" lift

Howzit Toyota Gods and Goddesses, seasoned vets and newbies (like me)
I've been searching and searching yotatech and beyond and i just can't seem to find definite advice on shocks
i want to replace my front shocks and need some advice of what kind or the length of the shocks i need for my truck which has
a 4.5 inch suspension lift.
the previous owner put on some heavy duty ones that were 13 3/4" compressed and 17 7/8" extended (it didn't say what brand
only said silver E on it)
any help will be appreciated
Mahaloz!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:43 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
you could unbolt one end of a shock, jack the front end up, and measure both ends of the travel range.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out Bilstein 5125's, extended length is 24.35", collapsed 15.1". May work.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 PM

Thanks dudes!
I went with the Bilstein 5125's as Tank suggested. Shout out to Top Notch in Hilo, Hawaii and their Black Friday sale. I was a few days early but my man gave me the deal anyway.
What is that silver finish they have? In my haste to put em on, I just painted them black Rustoleum without priming first, should be ok, right?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlackPearl808
Thanks dudes!
I went with the Bilstein 5125's as Tank suggested. Shout out to Top Notch in Hilo, Hawaii and their Black Friday sale. I was a few days early but my man gave me the deal anyway.
What is that silver finish they have? In my haste to put em on, I just painted them black Rustoleum without priming first, should be ok, right?
Good choice! I run the 5100s, I have 4.5" of lift as well but 2" of that belongs to a body lift. Bilstein makes great stuff.

The silver color is the zinc plating, not sure if the paint will peel. I painted my frame but not the shocks, I did hit them with my undercoating however and that has stuck well.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:01 PM

hey Tacotank
what do use for undercoating? On the advice of a friend, I used Hammerite that I brushed on. It's holding up ok here where I live where it rains a lot and close to the ocean but I'm looking for alternatives and opinions as well.
Also, did you have to change your gearing to run the 33's?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:22 PM

Hey man it's funny you asked cause I just finished testing it about an hour ago!

I first painted the frame (it's only a few years old) with two coats of rustoleum paint. Then I sprayed two coats of Heavy Duty Metal Protector made by AMSOIL on the frame, all suspension parts, backs of the bumpers, and cab and bed floors.
It's about $8 per can. Worked great on my truck I just sold, works great on this one too. Living in the Northeast means lots of salt, which they dumped two days ago. Washed it today and the salt rinsed off the frame like nothing. It also dries really quick too cause it repels all the moisture. Very happy with it.

I did not have to regear with 33's, the truck came with 4.56 gears when I bought it, which saved me a good chunk of change to put towards the restoration I did. Considering 4.88s in the future, but we will see. With what I have done to the truck is has zero issues pushing them. Did 2.25 hours to new Hampshire at 18MPG averaging about 60 mph. Hills are not an issue either.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.
After switching to the Bilsteins up front, I'm thinking why not the rears too? lol
This is probs a stupid question but you put 5100's on your rear too?
Old 12-17-2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlackPearl808
Thanks for the reply.
After switching to the Bilsteins up front, I'm thinking why not the rears too? lol
This is probs a stupid question but you put 5100's on your rear too?
Not a problem man, I am just running them up front for now because when I did my lift I only did rear shocks cause it was a small lift (Daystar leaf spring lift with rough country N2.0's. Then I learned about Bilstein's when I got new coils and struts. It rides really nice with the combo but I am thinking about switching the rear ones out in the spring, easy job and it will probably articulate better.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:29 PM

rajah, thanks!