Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

mild lift but strong

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mild lift but strong

Hey,

I'm obviously new, just getting out of hondas. I know a pretty good amount about engines seeing that I turbo'ed my last civic and did some racing (legal, don't worry) but I admit that I know very little about suspension.

So I'm selling my honda this week and I really want to pick up a 4runner with the money. I'm looking at a 91 v6 manual with 170k on it. would that be a good choice? is there gonna be tons of maintenance issues or should it be good?

Also i love to go wheeling. I've been driving my dad's durango on light trails since I was 7. The reason I'm looking at a 4runner is because I also like a quiet ride (thus not a wrangler) but i know they do well on the trails. So I wanted to do a mild lift (don't want to have to replace brake lines or anything). Just something that will look good and preform well. But at the same time I want it to be strong so i don't have to worry about stuff wearing out or breaking as much. So i think i want to stay away from body lifts because they don't improve any of the suspension, right?

I'm open to suggestions of any kind. especially ones that pertain to which route i should take in upgrading that 4runner. Thank you very much
Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Some mild lift recipes on the web page below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10
Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its got the 3.0l v6 and it most likely does then i would not suggest it. if you have the money then get one form 1996 or newer they have a much better engine or find a 85 4 runner with a straight axel its a little under powered and is not a very quiet ride but it would be a better cioce for wheelin. but from what you have said i would go with the newer ones from 1996 to like 2001 i think. i hope this helps you. sorry im not too good with lift info.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 PM

I am with 85toy on the choice of 4runner

I have a 96 with the 3.4L V6
I drove a 95 with the 3.0L v6 and I have to say that there is no comparison.
You said you raced, so if you like to be able to keep up with anything on the highway you are going to want to get something with a bigger engine than the 3.0L

That is just my opinion, but i think the majority of the board shares that opinion.

And I also think the 96-02's look better
Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM

Rear spring Shackles and Ball joint spacers for the front for some lift. If this will be a daily driver and won't see too much off road use, get a newer model without the 3.0. If it's going to be strictly off road, get an 85 4runner. Preferrably with EFI and a Solid front axle. I know I just practically said what everyone above me said, but they are just the facts. Good luck with the purchase and welcome to YT!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hmmwv15
Rear spring Shackles and Ball joint spacers for the front for some lift. If this will be a daily driver and won't see too much off road use, get a newer model without the 3.0. If it's going to be strictly off road, get an 85 4runner. Preferrably with EFI and a Solid front axle. I know I just practically said what everyone above me said, but they are just the facts. Good luck with the purchase and welcome to YT!
No shackles on a 91. Nor 96. All 85 4runners came with a live axle and EFI.

85 is not quiet. Less power than the 3.0.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:08 PM

thanks for the lift info. I was worried you guys would say that about the engine. Well looking at my local craig's list I can't find anything 96 or higher that is $5000 or less. I'll keep looking though. I'm not worried about being underpowered, I'll live, and I can't get an 80's cause it has to have air bags. Does the 96+ years have the same style suspension? Also i don't mean the exhaust noise has to be quiet. I just like it to be pleasant inside the cab (i.e.- I completely sound proofed my last car).

Last edited by niCastro; 01-03-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

I have a 3.0 in my truck and personally I have no problems with it. It does not make quite as much power as the 3.4 but it is a reliable little power plant and there are parts available to make it a nice little pavement burner. Check out Wheezy2K's thread on his custom camshafts, another new member here did a really sweet turbo install.
The 2.4 4cyl. is a rock solid engine as well though it is uncommon to find them in the runner they don't have a lot of top end (HP) out of the box but they do have gobs of low end torque and great fuel economy (there are also a boat load of hop-up parts for this motor as well).
If you do go for the 4runner there are two recalls to check out the steering centre link one and the head gasket recall (lots of details on both of them here). The 3.0 does not like to be overheated (to extremes) [that head gasket issue] as with any truck regular maintenace is key to a healthy truck find out if the maintenance has been done on a regular basis (as you would with any used car lol).
The 4runner in general is a very reliable vehicle that you should be very happy with.
and Welcome to the family in any case.
Aviator
Old 01-03-2008, 04:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2nd gen (90-95) 4Runners won't have airbags.

If you DO go with this one anyways, you can fit 33x10.50 with NO lift. I highly recommend it. With the IFS on these trucks, you either need to scrap it or leave it alone - anything in between, and you're gonna have problems.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by tc
2nd gen (90-95) 4Runners won't have airbags.

If you DO go with this one anyways, you can fit 33x10.50 with NO lift. I highly recommend it. With the IFS on these trucks, you either need to scrap it or leave it alone - anything in between, and you're gonna have problems.
oh... they don't have airbags? uh... I kind of believe that airbags are necessary... crap that sucks. I don't know if I can get it now.

If I was to get it though that's very interesting about leave the suspension alone. so just 33's and maybe a body lift because I like the way it looks? would that affect anything?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM

welcome castro. quick question for ya, why are airbags required? in my experience theyve done more bad than good.. i was in an accident, relatively light one, in my moms old car, the airbag deployed, broke my nose, bruised some ribs, etc. wasnt fun. trust us, these old trucks are stronger than the newer ones with airbags, you'll be safe. again, welcome to the club.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with the previous poster. Airbags generally do more bad then good, but im not going to try and change your mind on that one.

If you do get that runner I wouldnt be worried about the 3.0. Its a good engine, do all your matinence, that is the key to keeping these trucks going. I would much rather have the 3.0 then the 22re, I couldnt amagin the little 22re pushin around a 2nd gen runner!

As for lift, I would go with a mild body lift (since you are not very into them) and a 1.5" bj spacer and new rear coils (possibly coil spacers if the sag is not too bad).

There really isnt much you can do to improve the IFS on these trucks, the bj spacers help but thats about it. Any run of the mill 4" bracket lift only drops everything 4". No increased suspension travel, no added strength (actually weakens the ifs assembly). So I wouldnt recomend the bracket lifts. Either stick with stock/bj spacers or do a sas. The ifs is really a weak point unfortunatly.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Meh, the air bag arguement is sort of moot. He wants them. I personally hate them.

The IFS is what it is. Leave it be, put 33's on it, and have a good time. Put a locker in the back, and you'll have a better time.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:27 PM

theres a lot of hostility on here toward the 3VZ-E (the 3.0 V6) they tend to eat headgaskets and not have as much power as they should. Personaly id go smaller with a 22RE and build it, or go with a newer vehicle with the 3.4L 5VZ-FE. The 5vz is by far the best V6 engine ive ever driven in a truck. its economic, durable, and has a lot of torque and power for its size.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by apalmer1
theres a lot of hostility on here toward the 3VZ-E (the 3.0 V6) they tend to eat headgaskets and not have as much power as they should. Personaly id go smaller with a 22RE and build it, or go with a newer vehicle with the 3.4L 5VZ-FE. The 5vz is by far the best V6 engine ive ever driven in a truck. its economic, durable, and has a lot of torque and power for its size.
I hate to argue with you, but I can't stand how the 3vze has a reputation of "eating headgaskets". This is totally exaggerated, im not going to really go into it, but I remember reading about what options were picked the most on these gen trucks, the 3vze was picked IIRC around 90% of the time instead of the 22re in the engine option.

And people tend to forget, 22re's like to eat headgaskets, but they are easier to fix.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know where this headgasket eating thing started... yes there was a problem but Toyota fixed it. There are problems with some after-market gaskets but why you would buy a non-factory part is beyond me. If you put the gaskets in backwards or over torque the head then you're going to have problems regardless... There might also be problems with people running turbos or superchargers at rediculous boost levels. I think it probably comes down to a few bad shops/dealers doing sub-par work.
My truck has 318000+ on it (owned it since about 200000) and I've no problems at all with the head gaskets or any other serious mechanical issues for that matter other then a clutch (right after I bought it) and an alternator (just recently). I do oil changes every 6000km on average (I run synthetic so I can push it out to 8000km between changes if I have to though I try to avoid this). The only major complaint is that the phershlumina oil filter is a b**ch to get at (I use toyota oil filters they have a superior design and are smaller than the applicable after market ones).
I've had my truck fully loaded and pulling almost 4000lbs worth of trailer and it handled it with no complaints [yes we did slow down a little going up some long hills lol]. Long story short the 3.0 is a good little engine just stay on top of the maintenance and you'll have no problems at all.
And so far as airbags go I hate being surrounded by explosives aimed at my face/head. I always wear my seatbelt so I'm not worried on that score at all.

Last edited by aviator; 01-04-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 PM

if you buy it used just make sure that they took the 4runner in for the head gasket recall and problem solved....but yea 1st and 2nd gen dont have airbags, but being that they are trucks and not crv's or hatchbacks (correct me if im wrong but where im from the majority of honda racers drive those) you'll be a lot safer in an accident in a 4runner than in a shoebox.
as far as engine goes, i dont mind my 3.0L, its not a powerhouse but i dont have much to complain i have 33x1250's and im not extremely underpowered, i do alot of freeway driving and i keep up to speed and dont even have to stay in the slow lane the whole way
if you plan on making it a trail rig i would go w/ what everyone says and stick w/ a pre 85 that has a solid axle (85 is most desired cuz of efi)
i love my 2nd gen all the way down to how it looks but then again im biased, and that has alot to do w/ your choice and if you want something w/ more power go to the 3rd gen, but they are more expensive (and you'll find the airbags you want)
and as others have said dont leave out the idea of the 4 cyls, those engines can run for ever (my 3.0L just hit 200k last night, its not dead yet)
Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats sort of ironic if you ask me.

turbo racer honda civic -to- 2nd gen runner 3.0
Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
thats sort of ironic if you ask me.

turbo racer honda civic -to- 2nd gen runner 3.0
haha, yeah, i know what you mean. I love having alot of power but I can live with out it. I'm a pretty conservative guy and don't really every drive fast (to expensive on gas). I also love wheeling and hate feeling like if I tap one curb there goes my entire axle as you see alot in the honda forums. also I haven't gotten in trouble yet when I do go fast but it's only a matter of time, i'm better off not risking it.

I'm really impartial to the airbag thing. I see both sides of the arguement but sadly I don't get the final say. I'm only seventeen and my mom says it has to have airbags, then that's the law for me right? my sis got in an accident two weeks ago and she got destroyed by the airbag (teeth through her lip, all that jazz) so I see all of your arguements but then again my other sister totaled her car about five years ago and they were the only reason she walked away from it.

thanks for the lift info though. first thing I'll do is through those 33's on there then I might do a mild body lift and fix the back if it's sagging (haven't personally seen the one I'm hoping to get yet)
Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 AM

Hi Please can anyone tell me what are the sizes of the hatchback boot because i want to know if a kicker l7 12inch box would fit fine in it h

Quick Reply: mild lift but strong