Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Looking at truck bad clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at truck bad clutch

So I am new here to YotaTech and I am looking at a 1987 Toyota pickup. It is pretty beat up but still runs like a champ except for the clutch is wearing out. I am new to driving manuals but I really want one. Should I keep looking have my mechanic look at it or try and get it fixed? I am on a high school student budget.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Clutches themselves aren't that bad if you can do it yourself. But if your paying for it prices can vary. Get some bids and read some write ups. The biggest time hang up for me was waiting for my flywheel to be ground.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You said you're new to manuals. Are you sure it's just the clutch wearing out? What is it doing? How many miles, which engine and how much is the guy asking for it? It may not be the deal you're looking for. We can probably give you a little better advice with this info.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
You said you're new to manuals. Are you sure it's just the clutch wearing out? What is it doing? How many miles, which engine and how much is the guy asking for it? It may not be the deal you're looking for. We can probably give you a little better advice with this info.
I haven't actually driven the truck myself i have just talked to the owner. It has 240,000 miles asking around 1,800. And It is a 4 cylinder engine.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your words " my Mechanic "

Caused the red flags to go up!!

If your paying to get everything done this will be an expensive project till all the neglected areas are caught up .

Unless this is being bought as a project and learning experience

Best of luck
Old 02-17-2017, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Clutch is only going to be part of the issue, there will be other problems. You are having the work done and that is going to get expensive quick. Around here a clutch job is $650-$750. Then I suggest changing the Master and Slave Cylinders. Not hard or expensive to do by yourself changing them but should be done. I would only suggest you buy it for a learning or project experience like wyoming mentioned. I see "Mechanic" and "Budget" in your post. You might want to pass.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Clutch is only going to be part of the issue, there will be other problems. You are having the work done and that is going to get expensive quick. Around here a clutch job is $650-$750. Then I suggest changing the Master and Slave Cylinders. Not hard or expensive to do by yourself changing them but should be done. I would only suggest you buy it for a learning or project experience like Wyoming mentioned. I see "Mechanic" and "Budget" in your post. You might want to pass.
When I say "Mechanic" he is not some dude that takes care of my cars for thousands of dollars. He is a friend of mine and a mechanic and has been for over 30 years, I talk to him for advice, not to fix everything on my vehicles.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:40 AM

It just depends on how much your willing to do yourself. I mean seriously. A good clutch is anywhere for 80-300 for parts. Throw in $100 for slave and master and the 40-60 for flywheel machining. You realistically can probably get the parts to install the clutch for under $350 but a shop is easily going to charge you a day to do it all. 99.9% of these old trucks no matter how nice of condition need at least a few hundred to a few thousand thrown at them just to catch up. 200+k miles with the factory timing chain then you looking at replacing that as well so there is another few hundred bucks. Then are you going to tare in to the head? Lower end?

If this is a project to you and you have a spare DD then this might be a good learning experience. Will your friend work for free and show you how? How good of a friend is he. I have a great friend that is a legit mechanic and shop owner and I still pay 20-30/hr if my rig goes in to his shop. But then he has to at a minimum pay his guys to work on it.

If your mechanically inclined you can do just about anything to these old trucks. If not then they can be expensive just like any other rig. If you are buying this for a turn key DD then maybe look at something newer with maintenance records. I know it's a lot more than this rig but I found my wife a 98 limited 4Runner 117,000 miles W/E-locker and all the maintenance records mostly dealership for $8800. And it's super clean. Pick a date up in your nice clean good condition rug clean. I saw them as low as 4 grand but they either had a salvaged title or stupid high miles. She wanted a turnkey DD so we paid a bit more but worth it in the long run.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 02-17-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What should we think when you say Mechanic and High School student Budget ??

I myself think 17 years old working part time .
Old 02-17-2017, 05:49 PM

Yea in high school I walked a lot because I couldn't afford to pay someone to fix my stuff so I bought tools and manuals
Old 02-17-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figure on that truck being a 240K mile truck for $2500 which is the least you'll have in it before it is dependable. Ask yourself, can I find something better for $2500 or something a lot better for $3500 and then make your decision. I like learning experience vehicles but I have never broken the $1000 mark on a vehicle that I knew was going to need a major component rebuilt or replaced. A full clutch job with no experience, I would count as a major component. Got any pictures or the rig? A picture is worth a thousand words. If it is super clean, it may be worth the trouble.