Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here
Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Looking for low cost performance mods / 22re

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for low cost performance mods / 22re

I already know about installing cool air intake, headers and ignition... But what are some low cost or even free mods or simple tricks I can do to my 22re to get more power!

I am looking for more low end....

Did you try something and it worked?

Let me know.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM

What about removing emmisions and vacum hosings?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

i tried more than a few things... some have worked. most not so much
Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 PM

Any ideas are welcome!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:56 AM

I think the 22RE while a good dependable motor. It is what it is...not much to be gained without spending a small fortune and even then not sure it would be worth it.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 AM

I have heard that swapping the battery and intake positions helps a bit. I haven't done it yet but plan to. The open air filter was probably the biggest boost I have had. Other than that, nothing cheap or free really other than making sure your vacuum lines are all in good shape and keeping it tuned up and oil changed. I noticed quite a bit of difference in power with the weights of oil I use. I was using 20w50 and switched to 10w40 and it's got some more snap now. Use the lightest oil you can without motor noise.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If there were easy free power upgrades dont you think Toyota would have done them for you???
Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 PM

Nothing is free...you could try throwing in an OEM replacement K&N filter. I found it makes a little bit of difference. Also, try advancing the ignition timing a bit, but be careful of knocks! Well, this mod isn't actually free, as you would probably have to run higher octane gasoline just to keep your engine knock-free.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 PM

I have been keeping it knock free... and tuned...

I am in stage one right now with Downey Intake System, Magna Flow Exhast, NGK Platnum Plugs, Jacobs Ignition Wires, Mass Air Sensor Adjusted, Electric Fan, and usually I am running about 97/98 octane

Comming Soon....
STAGE TWO

JBA Headers & High Flow Cat
MSD Ingnition System
LCE Dual Timing Chain
Complete Intake Cleaning (Injectors & Manifold)
Performance Alternator and Battery

by the way.... I am going for street performance.

My Truck: www.geocities.com/super22re/start
Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 PM

I like the Oil Idea... I will try that....
Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by simpleblue
What about removing emmisions and vacum hosings?
The emmissions on a 22RE are not power robbing, in fact removing them normally causes poor results.

Originally Posted by simpleblue
I have been keeping it knock free... and tuned...

I am in stage one right now with Downey Intake System, Magna Flow Exhast, NGK Platnum Plugs, Jacobs Ignition Wires, Mass Air Sensor Adjusted, Electric Fan, and usually I am running about 97/98 octane
[/url]
Do you mean 87/88 octane?

Good luck with those NGK plugs, they are known to make 22RE's run like crap. They work okay for a little while, but then in some cases the truck wont even idle. Cheap Denso or Autolite plugs are the best thing to put in a 22RE.

Originally Posted by Shoua
Nothing is free...you could try throwing in an OEM replacement K&N filter. I found it makes a little bit of difference. Also, try advancing the ignition timing a bit, but be careful of knocks! Well, this mod isn't actually free, as you would probably have to run higher octane gasoline just to keep your engine knock-free.
I wouldnt put a K&N in unless you dont like your motor... Look into a trueflow.

There isnt much you can do to a 22RE for free/cheap. The best things are exhaust (header, cat, muffler), intake, mild cam, and one of my favorties for low end is a heavy flywheel (makes almost as much difference as a header).

Have your injectors sonically cleaned, you will have to remove them. But I just did this before selling my 92 and WOW, so much better. 160K will wear those things out.

Running good synthetic oil will make the motor run easier, but would probably only manifest itself in a hair better mileage, nothing you can fell.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:01 PM

I do use synthetic oil... Lucas Brand If I can find it. (With the stablizer) If I can't find it I use Castrol

But I am usually running about 97/98 octane... I mix the standard 91 with 101 from a gas station near my house. It's expensive but, I do notice a differance.... The NGK's have been working fine for me... But when I install the MSD I was going to replace them BOSCH (I think I spelled that right)

There are a couple of emissions hoses I have removed, the ones that are on top of the 22re going into the intake. I replaced them with breather Filters and plugged the other ends on my intake... I did notice a difference and It even improoved my 1/4 mile time by 1/2 a second (Just wondering if there were more to remove - seems like there isn't)

But, I do thank you all for your tips!
Old 06-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best mod that I did was exhaust, cam and a gear change but mine was carbuerated.

James
Old 09-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I wouldnt put a K&N in unless you dont like your motor... Look into a trueflow.
Why are people having trouble with the K&N panel filter?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:47 PM

Got a 2.5" Exhaust w/ cherrybomb glasspack on my 82, also have TRD level 1 cam, double row timing chain rest of it is stock. I bought the truck with the mods on, but compared to my old stock 77, its like comparing a tractor to a jet.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:34 AM

I have 1982 toyota 2wd 22r motor . The tranny stuck in 4th . Would any one know if I can replace the L52 tranny I would like to put a 1994 or newer in it . Will it bolt up. I've heard I will have to move shifter position. Any facts would be great.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gears. You will give up some top end speed, but you will get better perceived torque and horsepower.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rowdy235
Got a 2.5" Exhaust w/ cherrybomb glasspack on my 82, also have TRD level 1 cam, double row timing chain rest of it is stock. I bought the truck with the mods on, but compared to my old stock 77, its like comparing a tractor to a jet.
Hows that cherry bomb sound? I sure know they sound like crap on a 350 with echo tips... I had one on an inline six and it sounded sweet...
Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 PM

sounds like a beast. joking but its got a nice throaty idle, loud as hell revving up, bunch of snap/crackle/pop when engine braking. I love it.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 AM

i know this is a lil off topic but..... i am kinda new to the toy performance moding. i ve had a couple of them but never put alot of mods on any of them. i know the normal stuff intake, exhaust. but what about decking the head and cams? will this give me better or worse mpg? any advice would be great!!!

Quick Reply: Looking for low cost performance mods / 22re