Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle problems

HI Yall, just a note from a newb. I just bought this Toy only 128K miles on her, and noticed it was running rough so I did the usual tune up stuff dist cap, rotor, plugs, tb cleaned, new air cleaner by the book. Idle was better but still a little funky.
At first start up (cold 26deg f here) the rpms jump up to around 2K then drops to 1K, I adjust the idle down after warm up to 850 it works OK for a day or two then the idle drops lower like 650 or 700 barely running. I adust it back to @850 and at cold start up it jumps back up to 2K again, then after warm up (open loop) it drops to 650rpm.
It will not keep a steady idle once adjusted.
Also the idle has a slight miss not to point of a backfire but just not smooth rpms will surge by 25 or 50 when the throttle is kept at a stedy 2K after warm up.
Im thinking tps or possible egr as I have not looked into either one of them just been reading allot on these posts and learning.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-30-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech

But PLEASE don't hijack someone else's thread, especially a build thread.

Start your own in the future please!

:wabbit2:
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the addiction!!! I didn't notice if your engine is a 22re (4 cylinder) or 3.0 (six cylinder).

If it's the 22re my advice is to first check that little O ring on the idle adjustment screw. They tend to get hardened over time and will allow the screw to move around a bit. The 3.0 might have the same problems but I don't know anything about them, sorry.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 AM

Hey thank you for the tip I really appreciate the support.
The idle screw itself does not seem to be loose in the port, but ill check it this weekend, the the o-ring could be deformed or cracked.
While I have your attention I have another question the cold start idle is around 2Krpm is this normal?
Seems to me it should be lower like around 15K rpm at first start up. Keep in mind it is cold here was 13deg. F here this AM.
It will run at initial start up at 2Krpm then slowly drop off over a couple of min. like it is supposed to do, around 15rpm on down to 700 which is where it likes to stay regardless of the this screws adjustment.
That is too low of an idle for me because when I take off from a stop light it wants to dog out and stall unless I get the revs up and slip the clutch a little. Personally I like the idle around 800-850 just cant get it stay there, without it increasing the cold start rpm back to 2Krpm or more.
I used to have an 85 toy pickup 4x4, that I never had a problem with in this area even after 350K miles, sure was a mistake selling that truck, but hey I got another one and so far I love it.
IMHO these are the best rigs made for economy and durability not to mention a hell of allot of fun to drive..... Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Welcome to the addiction!!! I didn't notice if your engine is a 22re (4 cylinder) or 3.0 (six cylinder).

If it's the 22re my advice is to first check that little O ring on the idle adjustment screw. They tend to get hardened over time and will allow the screw to move around a bit. The 3.0 might have the same problems but I don't know anything about them, sorry.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 AM

Thanks for you patience, and once again my apologies for the mess up, when i do need to post a particular question or comment regarding a build or repair etc, where, or how do I do this without stepping on that particular thread?
I know this is not a web tutorial site, but I seem to be having a problem getting the knack of navigating this site in order to leave a reply without messing up someone's thread.
Any advice or help here will be "GREATLY" appreciated, not only by others but my me as well, ill get better at this I promise....Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 AM

As far as the cold idle being up around 2K yes that is a little bit too high. This is caused by the idle air control valve (IACV). The darn things tend to wear out after a while and will let the cold idle climb up to where yours is now, no worries mine does the same damn thing. You can replace the valve (located under the throttle body) and solve the problem although getting the damn valve off is a serious pain in the rear for some reason.

I agree with your warm idle assessment, I like mine at 850-900 as well.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Junkers:
Cool thank you so much, I was thinking, after doing allot of reading on this site as well as the Chiltons manuual that the problem could be either the TPS, or the EGR, but after reading your advice on and experience on this ill go for the IACV.
It sounds more like what im experiencing than the other of the two, just for ˟˟˟˟s and giggles what is the cost of a new ICAV?
If it is not too pricey ill just replace it instead of trying a repair on it, or can it even be repaired?

Originally Posted by Junkers88
As far as the cold idle being up around 2K yes that is a little bit too high. This is caused by the idle air control valve (IACV). The darn things tend to wear out after a while and will let the cold idle climb up to where yours is now, no worries mine does the same damn thing. You can replace the valve (located under the throttle body) and solve the problem although getting the damn valve off is a serious pain in the rear for some reason.

I agree with your warm idle assessment, I like mine at 850-900 as well.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Udate on my idle woe's: I think I finally have my idle problem whipped it took me allot of time trying different things but today I think I just might be there.
Problem #1: Idle at cold start too hi @ 2K rpm.
Solution: Removed IACV and cleaned it thoroughly, and made internal adjustments as prescribed by a blog on this site to bring the idle down to 15K works good now.
Problem #2: Idle will not stay at set point (950rpm). When engine is restarted after a mike or two cool down, the idle drops back to a low 500-650 rpm....
Solution:
A: Replaced idle screw o-ring (same thing)
B: Used blue Loctite thread locker on idle screw threads to aid in sealing out "any" air (same thing).
C: Made adjustments to TPS according to 4crawlers TPS page (no change)
D: Removed and cleaned TB and intake plenum-ran better for a day or two then returned to low idle problem.
E: Tune up= Cap, rotor, plugs(NGK), adjust timing to FSM spec's. (no change)
F: Fuel filter replacement (the old filter was full of gunk, but still no change)
G: Use propane to check for vacuum leaks (no leaks found)
H: Sea Foam combustion chamber 2x, Sea Foam to gas tank (helped but still has low idle issue)
I: Removed O2 sensor and cleaned using "sensor safe" throttle body cleaner..
Solution: Seems to be holding so far, idle is staying solid at 9.5K even after a brief shutdowns.
I just performed this last act of desperation today, so it will take a day or two of driving to see if this was in fact the last remaining fix.
All other repair items listed above were needed as this rig was purchased from a PO as it was somewhat neglected when it came to PM items.
Been through allot of small fixes since purchasing this 92 (22re) 4x4 and slowly but surely im getting it back into good running order.
My special thanks to all of you whom have contributed to my repair, and to all those whom continue to add to this site to aid others in keeping our toys running......
Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM

New update: Cleaning the o2 sensor helped but briefly, it like all the other fixes lasted only a few days then idle problem returned dropping to 500rpm after a warm up period.
I guess ill try a new TPS next as the old one (original) when adjusting gave a funky read out at static test.
Anyone try the Beck Arnely TPS sensors?
Only fifty bucks at Rock Auto, so maybe ill just give it a go, sure could use some feedback regarding my idle problem as well.......
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Any update? I've got a funky idle issue too, bit different than yours, but following along just in case.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Installed new TPS (Beck Arnely) adjusted as per 4crawlers tech page, running better but seems to have a slight surge on moderate acceleration??
Also (still) the flippin idle will not stay at a solid at 950rpm where I like it set, always seems to drop to 500 after a day or two of driving.
Advanced timing a bit now idle seems stable, has not caused problems all this week, still unsure about the surging though as it mostly occurs when getting up speed to merge on freeway, just been puttin around town this week, will update again latter in the week.
Weather permitting ill be doing wheel bearings and spindle bushings this weekend.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Toymind
Problem #1: Idle at cold start too hi @ 2K rpm.
Solution: Removed IACV and cleaned it thoroughly, and made internal adjustments as prescribed by a blog on this site to bring the idle down to 15K works good now.
Glad that worked out for you! I pulled mine a while back and cleaned it but it didn't change anything, still idles high when cold.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Junkers: Have you tried pulling the IACV for cleaning/adjustment?
I pulled mine as it was way hi when I bought it from PO at 2.5krpm cold start idle.
I followed the instructions via the link below, cleaned/adjusted, now cold start idle is at 1.5K very acceptable.
I used dial calipers to measure the distance between the large screw and mounting plate, before disassembly so I would have a good reference point for adjustment on re-assembly.
After cleaning all components of the valve I re-assembled it and set the large screw back to original position, then adjusted it CW 1.5 turns to bring the cold idle down.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.
Hopefully the link provided will get you to the page I was on if not let me know ill try to send it again. toy
Old 04-09-2011, 09:58 PM

sounds like u are definetly getting some un-metered air into the combustion cycle. try checking all over for vaccuum leaks. test your AFM sensor per specs in a repair manual as well. also there is a screw on the AFM body that controls air bypassing the sensor for idle purposes. It is pre set at factory and shouldn't have been tampered with. read this... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-screw-233016/
Old 04-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Toymind
Junkers: Have you tried pulling the IACV for cleaning/adjustment?
I pulled mine as it was way hi when I bought it from PO at 2.5krpm cold start idle.
I followed the instructions via the link below, cleaned/adjusted, now cold start idle is at 1.5K very acceptable.
I used dial calipers to measure the distance between the large screw and mounting plate, before disassembly so I would have a good reference point for adjustment on re-assembly.
After cleaning all components of the valve I re-assembled it and set the large screw back to original position, then adjusted it CW 1.5 turns to bring the cold idle down.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.
Hopefully the link provided will get you to the page I was on if not let me know ill try to send it again. toy
I pulled the throttle body and opened up the IACV to clean in. It was pretty icky in there and I hoped that just cleaning it would help, no dice. I did not adjust it though. I tried that link and got a 404 code showing the page no longer exists. If you could email (pm) that info to me It'd be really helpful.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Junkers: Try this! Go too 4x4wire.com and enter toyota iacv adjustment in the search tab that should get you to the page. I dont know what happened but I tried to open the link up as well and got a 404 code??? Anyway just go to the 4x4wire website and do that search i just tried it and had not problem. Good Luck
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM

cant get that link to open
Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Ya I had same problem sorry, if you go to 4x4wire.com and enter IACV adjustment in the search bar it will get you there just tired it and the article in ? is there.. Good Luck