Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Fuel pump relay..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump relay..?

Okay so I have a 1994 Toyota pickup 3.0. I just got the head gaskets done not to long ago and had a code 52 that I FINALLY got rid of. After that it's been running great for over a month. I jumped in it today and drove around for hours. Then when I decided to go home I put it in park and went to turn the key off but it just shut it self off. I tried and tried to start it back up but it won't get any kind of spark from the coil. I checked every fuse and they're fine. I'm 99.99% sure my cool is fine. I was going to see if I could get a code out of it and put the jumper wire in the box and nothing. The CEL won't even turn on. Anyone have any idea what it is because I need to get it fixed tomorrow. Thank you
Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Time to break out the Meter and get some readings .

Anything happen before the truck shut off.

Water puddles lots of rain hitting a deep pot hole any of those things

If your not getting spark look at the ignition system

Broken timing belt

Distributor drive gear pin sheared off.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Time to break out the Meter and get some readings .

Anything happen before the truck shut off.

Water puddles lots of rain hitting a deep pot hole any of those things

If your not getting spark look at the ignition system

Broken timing belt

Distributor drive gear pin sheared off.
nothing out of the ordinary it was running fine all day it just cut off. I've been going easy on it since the head gaskets. I've read that the efi relay could be the problem but idk. The plastic cap on it is cracked a little and it rained pretty heavy the night before it shut off.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:25 AM

truck wo'nt start

main relay (EFI RELAY UNDER HOOD)
spring thing is magnetic coil
Welldiagram from Toyota dealer, gray box in green
gray box postioned behind fuse block
point open, fuel pump off
point closed, fuel pump runs. coil needs juice to make electro magnet .juice comes from gray box.
EFI under hood
​​​​​​​are you sure of no spark, pull plug wire insert good spark plug and ground plug to body somehow, crank it. look for spark. if good do you get fuel. my 93 22re efi. runs good alot of times then out of the blue she wont start. cranks, spark. but no go. checked for fuel nope,went though all the test. ,then pulled out the EFI relay removed plastic cover exposing guts. becareful not to damage the fine wires on electro coil. with cap off reinsert, take tooth pick, with key in full on position,close the points on relay. this should feed juice to fuel pump,have someone turn key to start. if it runs let go of key, let point free ,if it opens theres no juice comming to coil. 7.5fuseon block in truck, my problem is at driverside kick plate behind fuse block is gray box (secret relay) found out one day while driving, I hit the block w/foot and truck stopped running hit it a couple more times and continued to run. always nice while driving. perhaps this helps. I hope the systems are simular. I took pics will try to attach.
​​​​​​​When you have the EFI relay out turn over, on mine 2 brass prongs feed juice to coil. use insulated clip w/wires attached,apply to brass prons take end of wire touch (QUICKLY/MOMENTERALY) to battery post if coil is good point will close.
What works for me may not be good for you. I've had to tap the gray box at times to get truck to start, if you dont kknow what you're doing bring it to some one who does, after all I'm a back yard nutbuster.

Last edited by bynutbuster; 03-31-2018 at 04:58 AM. Reason: add one more pic,more info how to test coil,advice