Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Failed ca smog at 15mph. Really high NO and barely above max HC

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed ca smog at 15mph. Really high NO and barely above max HC

I've pretty much gone through everything. Seafoam through intake, sensors, TPS was bad threw off timing. I replaced it, etc,etc. Timing fixed itself with new TPS. At 15mph the o2 is .37 - co2 is 14.53 - HC is 69 max 62 - CO is .04 max .45 - NO is 1449 max 356. At 25mph o2 is .34 - co2 is 14.70 - HC is 28 max 37 - CO is .01 - NO is 311 max 533. After hours of reading I come to the conclusion the issue must be egr valve or catalytic converter. I did the lambda calculator and its 1.01 and catalyst efficiency is 61.5%. I read to check egr valve, remove vacuum line from the egr mod that goes to egr valve and try to suck air through. If idle bogs down or dies, egr valve is good. I pulled the vacuum off the bottom of egr mod and sucked in and got a lung full of exhaust. Idle didn't change. So here are questions. Did some body play a dirty trick on me so I would inhale exhaust fumes or does this actually mean egr valve is bad? Does the 61.5% mean the catalytic converter is the problem?
Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Never had an EGR problem personally. But from what I have read cleaning them is not that hard and is usually effective. When I rebuilt my 22re I cleaned the EGR and got a lot of carbon build up out of it.

Good luck hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jpa916
I read to check egr valve, remove vacuum line from the egr mod that goes to egr valve and try to suck air through. If idle bogs down or dies, egr valve is good. I pulled the vacuum off the bottom of egr
are you sure that was the right hose to check it with? i forget which one it was.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I'm not sure. That is what I was told. Anyway, I have 31" diameter tires on my truck. I swapped wheels with a friend for a day. Those were 28" diameter tires. Increased RPM's. Truck passed smog. I would still like to know if I tested that egr correctly for future reference.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Oh the retardness of CA emissions. Smaller tires at a different rpm means is better for the environment. Then just put the old tires back on.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Jpa916
No, I'm not sure. That is what I was told. Anyway, I have 31" diameter tires on my truck. I swapped wheels with a friend for a day. Those were 28" diameter tires. Increased RPM's. Truck passed smog. I would still like to know if I tested that egr correctly for future reference.
wrong hose

You pull the actuator hose which connects to the diaphragm. It's the one on top of the valve assembly. And that wouldn't of told you anything useful, just tells you the valve isn't stuck open or closed..
Kind of surprised they didn't fail you on the visual with oversized tires, guess it's not quite that draconian yet..

You'd need a different sized modulator or larger vacuum port to compensate for the tires you normally run. 31's were available on some model find out it's modulator part number and you should be OK next time.