Old 05-21-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap7

Will my 351 V8 work in my 87 Toyota 4x4 truck
Old 05-22-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by weseterly74
Will my 351 V8 work in my 87 Toyota 4x4 truck
Welcome to Yotatech! First off is your 351 a windsor or cleaveland? If it's a 351W then it should share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a 302 and then you can use a bellhousing adapter from Advance Adapters or Northwest Offroad and adapt the Ford motor to the Toyota 5 speed trans. The 351W is a little wider than a 302 and also has a taller deck height...the extra width might make running the exhaust more difficult. Also the extra height could possibly interfere with the hood closing and might necessitate the addition of a hood scoop (possibly).

I did a 302 swap in my 86' 4 runner, the main problem is having clearance in front of the engine for the radiator. On the 84'-85' buildup forum nvwiggins put a 5.0 out of a mustang in his 4 runner using the T-5 trans and adapted it to the Toyota transfer case using a adapter from Advance Adapter (adapter has since been discontinued). On his build it didn't seem like he had any clearance issues with the radiator, maybe due to the 5.0 having a newer serpentine pulley setup (I'm assuming the water pump and accessory pullies are probably shorter than the older 70's 302 motor I used? Your best bet is to do a lot of research and read through some build threads on the subject, anything can be done but your going to run into some road blocks along the way. Your knowledge, fabrication skills and budget will determine how you handle the road blocks. Good luck and you might want to check out the "Domestic Engine swap" section for some more info! https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f163/

Last edited by rustED; 05-22-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Search this Thread