Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Engine light/rough idle and under load.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine light/rough idle and under load.

I have a 91 pickup with a 22re. It sat for about a year and I just got it running again. For about 2 weeks in ran great probably the best it has ever run honestly. It started to idle rough so I cleaned the throttle body and iac with brake clean and got all the carbon out I could visibly see. It smoothed out for a few days and all of a sudden idles horribly and runs terrible under any load on the engine. I jumped the pins and it flashes 2x followed by a 2.5 second pause then flashes 5x. I tried finding a vacuum leak and couldn't come up with anything I hear a slight air pulling sound like a whistle near the back of the intake close to the firewall but can't seem to see anything at all. Any ideas as to what is going on here ? This is driving me nuts. As soon as its under any load or at an idle it sounds as if it's got a huge exhaust leak or a super aggressive cam. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If there is a 2.5 second pause between the 2 and 5 blinks of the CEL, that is two separate codes, 2 and 5. If the pause is 1.5 seconds, it is code 25.

Code 2: Air flow meter signal.
Code 5: Oxygen sensor signal.

Code 25: A/F ratio is lean.

The FSM can help you test your VAFM:
http://www.teamtoyota4x4.org/archivi...e/volumeai.pdf

Also O2 sensor:
http://www.teamtoyota4x4.org/archivi...e/heatedox.pdf
Old 04-20-2017, 02:47 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll re check the flashes and begin the process of testing the vafm and 02 sensor.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:54 PM

Update

Well it still is acting up. I ordered a fluke to test everything but I'm waiting for it to arrive... today it finally took a big ˟˟˟˟. Drove to work and back about 30 mins each way, same crappy performance and noise. Was at my house for about an hour drove it 1/4 mile and it sputtered out and died. Got it to start again feathering the gas and limped it back home. It kept bogging out like the truck seemed totally shut off even though it wasn't and then would rev up again. Finally it died out in my driveway. I'm thinking Mayne it's a fuel issue but I'm not sure. I re checked the code and it was a code 25 the air fuel ratio lean. Would a clogged fuel filter sound right? Or weak fuel pump. Hopefully this meter shows up soon so I can get to testing I don't feel like throwing tons of parts at it guessing.