Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Ok is this a failure to crank??

Sometimes the engine just does not turn over (crank) Turn to start it does nothing!!

Neutral safety safety or clutch safety switch depending what you have in the open position

Turns real slow ?? battery terminals, battery cables or ground connections

Just because the battery is charged it still needs to get the voltage where it needs to go

How many miles Starter contacts ??

It cranks just fine will not start ??

Figure out one part of the problem at a time.

I hope you have a Meter your going to need it
Thanks Wyoming, yes I have a meter, the problems I am having are strange noises when I try to start the vehicle, most of the time it starts up fine, first time it made a staticky noise, second time it made a tickity noise in the area of the COR, the last time it just made a quick attempt to start, then nothing no cranking, no lights on the dash, I understand what you say about the volts. The truck has not let me down yet.I suppose I should go ahead and replace the batt, it is 8 years old. The truck has about a quarter million on it. I have not replaced th starter.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
The C.O.R. would not cause those symptoms you described. In fact that the C.O.R. did not fix it is proof.
"No start" is a vague phrase.
You need to tell us whether the issue is "No Crank" (Starter did not turn), Or No Combustion ( No VROOM).

"Nothing", "no noise", "no lights" are indication of power issue. Are you absolutely sure that your electrical connections have secure and have shiny, bare metal contacting shiny bare metal?

How about your battery? You mentioned it's from 2008.
Quick check without taking it to the shop/store:
Everything off:
Probe battery POST for voltage. What do you get?
Probe battery TERMINAL for voltage. What do you get?
Yes, Need the two separate test points above. They can tell us something.

Turn headlights on, High Beams much better:
Probe battery POST for voltage. What do you get?
Probe battery TERMINAL for voltage. What do you get?
Yes, Need the two separate test points above. They can tell us something.
Yes starter was not turning, I will go ahead and replace the batt, I will do that test though, by terminal are you referring to the strap that holds the wire to the post?
Thanks Rad, I agree with you on the clean connects, I will check all my fuses/relays, I suppose go down the line with all the ignition and ground contacts.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have dealt with the clicking relay numerous times and it is has always been a weak battery in my case. What is your voltage on the battery when the engine is running? You need high 13-14 volts.
Thanks Terry, another confirmation on the importance of a good battery.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:16 PM

Just for an update, the last time my 91 acted up( starting problems) I cleaned up the battery connects and haven't had a problem since(thanks Rad), they were not to bad, run with it.