Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Double Trouble 86 Yotas

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Trouble 86 Yotas

Pretty new to this place and seeking some knowledge. First off I have an 86 4runner 22re, 5 speed, 4x4. Soon to roll over 330xxx. Yesterday it started to show symptoms of a blown head gasket or the timing chain has ate the face. Just stuck at a road block with what to do next.
Second I have an 86 pick up that I scored at $500. Was told it had a cracked flywheel. No problem. Turns out a cracked flywheel was the furthest from my problem. Turns out I had a sheared bolt in the main. Not one, or even two, but all six flywheel bolts sheared off flush. Successfully drilled out three. Then with two broke ez outs later and no other options a new crank and main bearings are on the way. Is there any way to drain the motor of all fluids put it on a stand turn it up side down, pull the timing face and what not and remove the crank without completely dismantling the engine? Its a long shot but with my dd runner biting the dust and working out of town I'm left with little time and not a lot of Intel on this mess I have accumulated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
With the engine on a stand, it should be possible to change out the crank without removing the head and pistons.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Possible Yes !! Easy No!!

The real hard part is going to be putting the new one back in your going to need help .

The hard part is keeping the unbolted rods from damaging the crank journals as your moving things around getting the rods bolted fast.

Then moving the pistons because you can`t push them from the top means your pulling them from the bottom

all this work on a engine that I would guess you have not heard or seen run

My thought it never fails when you try and rush things even with a valid reason you end up having time to do it again

Much easier in my mind to do a timing chain and head gasket then put a crank and bearings in a unknown engine half disassembled engine

Best of Luck
Old 12-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news and bad news on the yotas. Good news is that I overhauled the whole top end of the 4runner. Including all new timing face, guides, chain, and all the bells and whistles. The firing ring on cylinder number one was toast so all that got replaced as well. My 86 pickup on the other hand is being neglected. I got the motor pulled and have decided to just overhaul the whole thing. In the midst of all this I discovered my 4runner is indeed an sr5 lol.