Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Do It YourSelf Quality Spray in Bed Liner?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rolled my interior a couple months ago. I would have loved to have it sprayed by a shop, but they quoted me at $500. I can think of a lot of other things I would rather spend that much on. Plus it is not going to get the wear a bed will.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 AM

well, just for added info, and i realize this is an old thread, i've been doing a crap ton of research and this is what it seems to come down to. There are to types of liner, polyurea elastomer and polyurethane. The only real difference i have found is that the polyurethane fades and chalks while the polyurea doesn't, granted if you use a UV top coat then the polyurethane option isn't works out much better. Other than that, they really seem to be the same thing, people say the polyurea is stronger and holds better, but i have no proof against or for that statement. However regardless of what you do, proper prep work seems to be key. Make sure the area is really roughed up and very clean. On a last note, spray on seems to be the best option for durability regardless of which type of liner you choose, so if you can get an undercoating gun and spray it on.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 AM

I've been wanting to put a DIY liner inside my truck on the floor pans. I read up above that someone did this. My question is...How has it held up? Any weird wear? Pictures by chance?

Plan:
I need to replace the old bench seat in my truck with something else. I can (hopefully) get my hands on a nice set of free audi seats. While i have the old seat out, I'll pull the carpet and put in a liner. Something like herculiner.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM

well, here is a link to another thread with some pictures of DIYers. Oh yeah, make sure to see if you can get a UV mix for that, or buy the UV topcoat

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...er-pics-83409/
Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meighty
I've been wanting to put a DIY liner inside my truck on the floor pans. I read up above that someone did this. My question is...How has it held up? Any weird wear? Pictures by chance?

Plan:
I need to replace the old bench seat in my truck with something else. I can (hopefully) get my hands on a nice set of free audi seats. While i have the old seat out, I'll pull the carpet and put in a liner. Something like herculiner.

I did my interior with DIY Bed Liner. You can see pics on my build post. In the first gen section, Daves 82 build or something like that. It has held up very well. I put extra coats where my feet would wear it down while driving. I love it
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Just found this The rust guy epoxy bedliner Its a flexible epoxy bedliner. I talked to the guy for a bout ten minutes, half of which was about rust converter, but anyways, its REALLY strong and adheres rate to metal, no primer required, and you can brush or roll it in, the only downside is a "kit" which covers 75 square feet costs 299, and the kit thats double that costs 399, so its REAL expensive.

-----------EDIT-----------
Wow, i think i just found what i'm looking for, Gator Guard II Epoxy Liquid Bedliner Yeah, this seems to be exactly what i am looking for, bare metal adhesion, and strength, plus, its way cheaper that what that guy wanted, but same stuff.

Last edited by Swansen; 08-30-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if yougo with professional get a line x
Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 PM

I wanted to Rhino line my '98 Tacoma(old truck) until I saw 3 trucks in my area done by the "local" Rhino liner dealer, they were all cracking, apparently prep work is the key to a long lasting job no matter what brand you go with.
Also, there used to be a '79 F-150 that was completely Rhino-lined, at first I thought it was primer until I saw it close up. It did have a very nice maroon paint job but, the owner got pissed off that is was getting scratched up off-roading, he wouldn't tell me how much it cost to get done, couldn't have been cheap!
I now have a '93 that I purchased from the original owner, it has a factory bedliner, I'd love to get rid of it and line it instead but, I'd rather spend the money on other parts first!
Good luck on this project, I'm curious to see if a home-made job will hold up.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:45 PM

Food for though.

I "Rock-Guarded" the inside of my cab floor and rear tailgate myself [lower half of body and inside of bed will be done when i have all the "tin" fixed]. I just sprayed it on with a undercoat gun, and the Rock-guard was less that $10 a can. It took 6 cans to do the cab floor [its almost 1/4" thick] and 1can to cover the tail gate. Its holding up good so far. As with any "coating job", prep is the key.
The upside: its relatively cheap, easy to repair if you do "chunk" it, small cans means you can do small individual jobs without waste, the applicater gun can be bought for less that $20, comes in multiple colors, most people who see it think that it "is" Rino/Line-X, etc.
The downside: I think its only about 90% as tough as the big $$ stuff, it can not to my knowledge "color matched" to custom paints[basic colors only] If you put it on to thick/to fast it will try to pull away from concave areas as it cures[many light coats, need to dry between coats for best finish] It takes time[3 nights of spray, wait several hours, spray again] to biuld it up thick enough.

To sum it up, two local "spray-in bed liner shops" [well know brand names] both quoted me over $500 to do the job that I did for less that $100 and my time. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 PM

Do-it-yourself coatings

Hello bigjohn,

We have a very, very, strong do it yourself coating. Go to armadilloliners.com and check us out. Or call me Scott Wilson at 866.339.6207 The catridge system is a great one as well.

Thank you,

Scott Wilson

Originally Posted by SuaveGato
Hello,
Just wondering if there is such a thing as a Quality, Do It YourSelf, Spray in Bed Liner? I have a compressor, I have a gun (several actually) and am willing to sacrifice a nozzle if I have to modify it, drill it open etc. I have tried the Herculiner kit, it’s crap really. Is there any way to get professional results, or at least close to it at home? Anywhere to buy the “one part” material? i.e. Speedliner, Scorpion Liner, Mega Liner, Super Liner etc… instead of the two part components? Or is it just not worth it and am I better off to just pay a professional place?

The reason I ask is that I want to coat some pretty unorthodox things and so would have to find a pro place that is willing to work with me… And, as I build and weld stuff, I’d like to find a way to coat it myself instead of having to go back to a dealer.

Thanks,
biGjOhn
Old 10-03-2008, 03:11 PM

i used that durabak paint on bed liner and it is still holding strong 6yrs later
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM

Quality DIY Spray Bedliner

There are not that many true high quality DIY Bedliners out there. But, a few that I would recommend assuming you have an air compressor or can rent one....

Al's liner is a high build polyurethane truck bedliner kit. You spray it on and can vary the texture a little bit. It's pretty solid. I believe it's the same product that Scorpion dealers use.

Spray-Lining is also a high build but it's a poly hybrid coating that has a lot more flexibility in it's application. It can be smooth, slip resistant or have an aggressive texture. Both have great durability and longevity.

http://www.spray-lining.com
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used a few different kinds of DIY bedliner so I will share my experiences.

Durabak will stick to ANYTHING! I think that it would adhere to a puddle of grease. Its very very textured, so I would not recommend using it on something that you will be crawling around on alot. (hard on the knees). Also seems to collect alot of dirt because of the texture.
- Very easy Roll on application. and every application that I have used this on held up very very well.

Raptor Liner- Super easy spray on application with a U-pol gun that comes with the kit. With the air pressure turned up, it produces a very nice smooth lightly textured finish. However, my experience with this product it Prep is very very critical. There have been a few areas that started to come off due to my lack of a solid Prep. (was in a hurry).
- Spent more time prepping to do the outside body from the body line down and it held up through the winter very nice. Also, since the texture is on the smoother side, it is super easy to keep clean and power wash off.

If you need something that is going to be a high traffic/abuse area, As others have stated, I would lean more towards a Linex, rhino, Extreme, reflex would be the way to go. Those usually get sprayed on close to a 1/4" think.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 PM

Exclamation

I have used Durabak also but it is not very durable. I ordered a DIY roll on liner called Monstaliner from Magnet Paints. The site is here. I ordered it last year but my 4Runner didn't get painted so I haven't used it yet. There is some good info on the site about Durabak and other polyurethane liner products on the site. They have 39 different colors I believe, which you order as tintable gallons. You can order sample chips and I liked the finish way better than the polyurethane/rubber crump look of Durabak. When I get the 4Runner all set up and painted, I am going to do the lower parts of the body and I will post on Yotatech the pics. Check the Monstaliner out guys, you won't be sorry...there is a video on the site showing the guy rolling it out...
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM

I am gonna mention something I haven't tried but its from Eastwood and I have found their stuff to be trustworthy. There's a bed liner I noticed that has kevlar in it. Not sure if that's worth a hoot but it was something hat caught my eye
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 PM

You got my attention, Krypto. Here's the link to the liner he was talking about....

I'd like to see pics of the finish. Anyone ever use this? It's a new product, so maybe no guinea pigs yet.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM

Yep that's the one. Sorry I would have linked it but I was on my phone at the time
Old 02-01-2016, 08:11 PM

Try raptor liner. Made by upol. It comes w a gun. $150. Great results.

Originally Posted by SuaveGato
I still have 9/10 of my can of Herculiner, maybe I will try spraying some and see if I get better results? I don't have a gun specifically for spraying liner material or undercoating though. I will poke around online and see what I can come up with without breaking the bank or I may play around with drilling out the nozzle on one of mine?
thanks,
biGjOhn
Raptor linor is by far the best DIY Bedliner kit. I've always sprayed it. Never rolled. Spray around 100 trucks and various other things too. Also available in any color you can think of.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 PM

Raptor Bed liner! Best thing ever. For $150 you get the entire kit including the gun. Just did my bed a couple weeks ago very satisfied with how it came out.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 PM

Came out pretty abrasive I think it should hold up well.
Attached Thumbnails Do It YourSelf Quality Spray in Bed Liner?-image-2062772029.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do It YourSelf Quality Spray in Bed Liner?