Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Cracked block or head?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cracked block or head?

I have a 1987 4x4 Pickup that has issue. I made an assumption it was a head of gasket issue but once I tore it down I think I can see a slight crack in #2 cylinder. Has anyone ever seen such a thing. Also the Pistons are marked .075 so I am assuming it had been bored extensively. Timing chain and guides are perfect. Unfortunately I just ordered a new head and timing chain and waterline. Figured if I had it tore down I might as well do these also. Thinking I got a bit ahead of myself. I have a couple of heads that will probably be for sale soon. Both have been run but believe they are good. I am going to have them checked before I sell em. What really sucks is I just sold a complete parts truck for a great product. I only paid 150 and after robbing parts I wanted I sold it for 500. Now I am spending more than that on my truck. Oops....
Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 PM

May just be time for a short block. You have a head and everything that bolts up to it so you're half way to a new motor. I have seen them crack before. I'm not sure about the bore spec on a 22RE but they may have gotten a little brave and bored a little far which would weaken the already worn block to the point of cracking.

Too bad about your parts truck. I have a ton of parts I'll never use but have always been scared to sell for that very reason. I bet somebody on here has a used block stuck back that they'd sell you if you are interested in doing your own rebuild.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have one I would give him but I would guess shipping might get expensive.

Then having to go Common carrier on a pallet the hassle of getting it delivered or going to pick it up.

There has to be some floating around Michigan .
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 AM

I would think that by the time you bought a block, had the machine shop work it over and then bought a short block rebuild kit, you wouldn't be far from the cost of a reman short block. Most of them have some warranty and a lot of builders will take a slightly cracked block in as a core. That's probably the direction I would lean but I'm not an expert engine builder. You may be able to put one together with your eyes closed.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:00 PM

I am capable of assembly but yes there would be machine work to be done if I get a block to work with. I was checking around before I tore my motor apart and a local shop was at 1200 to 1500 to rebuild my motor using my stuff. That is if one of the 2 heads I have are good, which I believe they are , but that was before what I suspect is a crack. I will probably have the machine shop bore and prep block and install crank and pistons. Maybe put whole thing together if they would be reasonable priced. I am just trying to save where I can so I don't end up divorced over this. I only have 1200 into the truck now and that includes new tires. The cab and frame are great but the box is shot. Anyone have one laying around? To top this whole mess off, the parts I ordered, head, timing set, water pump, oil pump and gaskets were scheduled for delivery today and the mailman brought me a envelope with a bent up head gasket only. Now I have to deal with that crap.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM

That's frustrating. I haven't had the bad luck of a blown head gasket yet but I always considered the mail man factor. I worked nights at Fed Ex in college and I learned that the average package is dropped 6 times before it is delivered. I always said that if I had to do one, that I would just try and negotiate a deal with my local dealer. A lot of them are actually good about haggling. I'll price something now and then and when they say $90 for a switch, I tell them I won't pay more than $30 and we usually settle on about $45. My father in law actually used to work there. I had him buy me a timing belt, water pump, tensioner, radiator hoses and all of my accessory belts. I don't think I paid $200 for all of it. If I remember right, the list price on my ticket said something like $600.

Oh, and a little tip for you. If you are going to keep one of these old trucks up, you got to have a hidey hole for some money that nobody knows you have. I got a raise two years ago and every one of my bank deposits shows the same amount I made in 2015. My sweetheart is none the wiser. Haven't had to dip into it much lately but it's there for tires, engine parts, etc. For some reason, wives don't like it when you drop a grand on a 30 year old truck that you sometimes drive on the weekend.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:37 PM

I drive my truck daily. It is in great shape as I said. Also it is great for my trap line. Can go anyplace I want and many place others can't because of size. While I am repairing g the motor I am seeing a bunch of stuff I could remove, desmog if you will. Just wondered what the downsides may be. I can see the upside as a lot easier to work on and keep clean. Everything works as it should but do I really need all that stuff. Also planning on taking factory air off. I live where air may be run for a day and then heat the next 4. I have the whole air system if anyone need one. Bracket, idler pulley tensioner, compressor, condenser all the lines and the bottle that is piped to the condenser. I just can't see carrying the extra weight and turning that belt for a few minutes of comfort. My windows still work fine for that.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:48 PM

All my smog gear is packed away in a box. It sure freed up a ton of room around my 3.0L. There was really nothing to the job. Just buy you some gaskets for the valves and machine you some cover plates, using the gaskets as templates. If you do take your AC stuff out, you can remove even more vacuum lines under the hood. The AC isn't going to cost you any HP when the compressor clutch is not engaged so I'd leave it alone. If you break those freon lines and don't cap everything off, you are going to ruin the components. AC is very important when you try and sell a vehicle.
I just bought a new cutting machine for one of my logging jobs to replace a 10,000 hour machine with a ton of problems. The only thing I'm going to do to the old machine before I sell it is replace the ac compressor and get it working again. That $500 is going to probably make me $5000 more when I sell it.

Search this Thread