Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Clutch issue?

Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issue?

Hi guys hoping someone can help with my issue. 1992 Toyota pickup 4x4 DLX ext cab 5 speed. Noticed today when I was leaving for work that the clutch didn't want to engage unless I revved up the engine. Now the truck was not fully warmed up and I was in a hurry for work don't know if that contributed to this happening. Once the clutch engaged it slammed and made the truck jerk forward and stall. This is only happening when I'm in first gear and its worse when the truck is cold. The previous owner told me that the truck recently had the clutch replaced and when asked about the paper work concerning the clutch install the PO said they couldn't find it. Kinda suspect to me. Any thoughts!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Things have worked fine up to today ??

Define Cold below Freezing??

Enough water in the Transmission /Transfer case or clutch fluid something froze ??

Wrong weight gear oil for the temperature

Does the Clutch Master and Slave look new Fluid nice and clean ??

Hard to say increasing rpm should not effect the clutch .

This truck is new to you how does it compare to other clutches you have driven?

Will it not go into gear without grinding and making lots of noise

How does reverse work ??

Once things are warm did it work like it should ??

Are you smelling the sweet smell of burning clutch??
Old 01-12-2017, 12:58 AM

Truck ran fine when I got it. It seems sluggish off the line. Clutch doesn't seem to want to engage when I let my foot off. When I mean cold I mean between 40-50 degrees out side and truck sitting overnight. Not freezing temps. Have not checked the gear oil yet. I will inspect the clutch master and slave cylinders tomorrow and see, seems like a good place to start. This clutch is crap compared to my 6 speed wrangler unlimited daily driver. No grinding and I don't have to force the shifter into gear it is really smooth. Reverse works great. When it warmed up it worked better. No clutch burning smell yet thankfully. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-12-2017 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Language
Old 01-12-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
RPMs might not "affect" the clutch but does help in rev match shifting assuming he's in at least 1st and moving. But my bet is master/slave, then old or wrong tranny fluid.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 PM

Update- Drove it to work today and I think its a combination of me getting used to driving the vehicle and the shifter. So I put the truck in first gear and held pressure on the shifter. Truck shifted fine then when I did not apply pressures to the shifter the truck felt like it was under load and then it clunked into gear. It seems like the truck, when shifted into first, is not engaging all the way. Could this be due to a bad shifter bushing? What do you guys think?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 PM

Red face

That is a cheap easy fix to try first you might get lucky.

Rather then getting into rebuilding the transmission
Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Take some pictures of your slave and master cylinder. Let us see them. It's probably either those of maybe the bushing.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:14 AM

Ok quick update. I finally got the bushings for the shifter from Marlin Crawler. The bushings are a lot beefier than the stock ones. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but when I shift it from neutral to first there is no slop and it shifts in firm. I also noticed that the bolts holding the transmission cover on were loose when I was replacing the bushings. So torqued them down to spec. I will update you guys when I take it for a drive. Waiting on some parts for the front end to arrive before I can test drive it. Thanks for the suggestions. I will take some pictures of the slave cylinder and master cylinder when I get a change working nights this weekend so probably not until Monday.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:20 AM

Red face

Worn sloppy bushings and the bolts being loose(why) could have been enough to cause your problem.

Lets hope this fixes things

Search this Thread