Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Auto to standard

Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto to standard

Ok I have a 94 Toyota 3.0 auto and I will be converting it to standard pretty soon. I have the trans, clutch slave, clutch line, clutch master and the clutch pedal bracket and pedal, I also have the oil cooler that mounts on side of block and water pump for standard. I am waiting on the clutch kit. My question is do I need to change my computer box to the standard computer or can I just run my original computer? If I am missing anything please fill me in on what I am missing and what I need to get. All the tech help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I'm converting it because trans gets really hot and I've flushed it 3 time and changed filter 2 times already. It still shifts good and all but just gets really hot oh and I also added 2 trans coolers and still gets hot.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have not had enough Coffee to answer the ECU question Yet

Don`t forget you will need a rear drive shaft. out of a 3.0 manual .

I hope you also have the transfer case and flywheel

One of the hardest things on these swaps at least for me is drilling the holes for the clutch bracket and Master cylinder .

I find it is impossible to use the steel line from another vehicle unless your also pulling the engine out I just make a new one.

Trying it one time and kinking the line changed my mind

The bracket where the steel line and rubber hose connect then the other bracket where the steel line coming from the slave cylinder attaches to the rubber line

This is why it is much easier to have the complete donor vehicle sitting right beside the other one

just curious what really hot means in degrees on your scale .

Where is the sending unit for the gauge located ??
Old 05-04-2017, 02:46 AM

I don't have the drive shaft and the trans I got is complete as in tranny and transfercase. Didn't think I need the shaft also so I guess I need to look for one. The clutch line I have is the hard line and it also has the flexible hose. As for the auto trans and how hot it gets. It gets hot to the point where I feel like I'm getting kinda burned on my right leg like Sun burn. The trans light temp does not come on and I have checked the bulb in the cluster. I would like to keep my auto trans if I can get it to cool better. I'm running 31s on a daily but I don't push it. I drive it like little miss daisy. Trans shifts good and all. No slipping.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:45 AM

Red face

You must remember that your exhaust runs right past that area which gets much hotter then your transmission ever will .

Heat rises only so much is pulled out by driving down the road

At one time there were heat shields between the floor and exhaust which disappear most often the first time the exhaust is removed .

You might want to rethink this do all this work and your problem is still there .

I have a 5 speed and in the warmer weather the heat from the exhaust gets a little uncomfortable on longer trips .

I wear boots and jeans all the time I would think with other clothing it would be worse

while the transmission is warm to the touch the exhaust is Hot!!!

By all means if you want the 5 speed for other reasons go for it It seems you really don`t.

Unless you have a Transmission Temperature Gauge your only guessing at the temperature
Old 05-04-2017, 03:57 AM

I do understand about the exhaust but the heat is coming from the tranny. So what I'm thinking of doing in the time being is mount a 9in cooling fan right below the pan of the tranny just to keep it cooler while I gather the rest of the parts.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:25 PM

Red face

Best of luck I hope this works for you
Old 05-04-2017, 01:33 PM

Thanks

Search this Thread