Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

85 Toyota 4X4 oil leak question..

Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Toyota 4X4 oil leak question..

I bought my truck with a new shortblock an a blown head gasket..put a FEL-pro head gasket in place of the cheap one and it has been running great ever since. My first oil change @ 3000 miles I noticed I had a very slight oil leak around the front somewhere. 2nd oil change about the same...then my wife started driving my truck because I rode my bike most always during the summer an she thinks the yota is 'cute' lol. well she had the oil changed by a shop a couple of times and I never thought anything of it. She mentioned it had an oil leak an I thought of the small drops I had noticed before. Well I went to check the oil one day and it was very low..I took a peek underneath and was blown away at the carnage of oil covering my new motor and everything(we have blacktop parking so I never noticed). I first thought it was the oil pump or seal..looked to be covered an with it running it dripped from right below it..fixed that today..well, I 'fixed' it but the leak was the same. So I cleaned everything then started an watched exactly where the leak was coming from...driver side of motor just below alternator at timing cover/block it comes a-rolling down the seam between block and cover...now my question..do I have to remove the head to replace these gaskets (I tryed tightening,same leak) or can I drop the pan down some..is there a trick to it? I know head rest a-top the cover an the pan bolts to it also..I REALLY don't want to do the head gasket again..PLEASE Help!! what is the best way to go about this..thanks Tim

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture032.flv

Old 09-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It can be done without removing the head but you have to remove the cam gear/distributor gear to get to the hidden bolt under them and the two or three on the oil pan holding it there. I would also use some of the ultra copper gasket sealer or similar to make sure you don't run into this leak again.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM

Thanks, I will be tearing into it soon. I know the bolt in the oil your talking about.
BTW nice bikes..check my pix.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 PM

Talking

I noticed my sig an link were edited..sorry I did not read the rules..lol..just skimmed thru like most ppl..but thanks for fixin it forum addy...plan on working on my yota this weekend. what do yall think of my paint job? I can't go anywhere without someone commenting on it or lil kids saying 'look at that truck' .. maybe I should start a link on home grown camo jobs..for the ppl that don't know how..or the ppl that want to save money on a do it yourself thing..it only cost me about 20 bucks an 5 hours of work and it hid all the dents..lol my lil truck is REALLY beat up but you can not tell
Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 AM

The proposed fix for O.P.'s question - that would also apply to a 1994 pickup with 22re engine?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM

Hey HoPpA74 i had the exact same problem with my 87 22r, it leaked tons of oil(exaggerating a lil). It took me a while to find the problem because the leak was hidden by the a/c bracket, i removed/resealed the oil pan twice thinking that was it but it still leaked. So i took a different approach, I degreased the engine, turned it on and inspected the timing cover and there it was, little drops of oil soaking the oil pan from above.

To fix the problem i went to my nearest auto zone for a gasket set which included the water pump gasket, oil pump o-ring, main seal, and timing cover gasket all for 6 bucks!!(fel-pro) Oh,and a tube of permatex gasket sealer to make sure nothing leaks. So i dropped my front diff, drained the oil and water, pulled the pan and removed everything necessary to pull the timing chain cover. (no need to remove the head) Cleaned the surfaces free of oil an applied high temp copper gasket maker to underside/topside of head gasket where timing cover meets at the top. I put sealer on both sides of timing cover gasket (messy) and quickly assembled it. Torqued everything else in place with the new seals, and siliconed(the copper stuff) the oil pan. Assembled the ifs and waited till next day to fill with oil and light up.
So far not a single leak (except for the half moon valve cover rubber seal and the egr gasket at the back of the engine but that's another story)

ps: check my albums i posted pictures of the work of in here.