Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

85 4Runner Rear Window Fix ish...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
85 4Runner Rear Window Fix ish...

Ok so my rear window got progressively more finicky on when it would work. First the tailgate key switch failed then the in-cab one finally quit.

So I searched and came up with tons of threads saying look at 4crawlers site your good to go. And for most that is probably true. I am a mental midget when it comes to car electrical so his write up sounded great but I can't read an electrical diagram to save my life.

Well started searching on pirate and the same thing until I found a picture of the in-cab switch being jumped. Essentially the outside wires get jumped and both switches now work. However it does bypass some safety's, tailgate closed sensor is no longer working as I can roll it up or down with the gate open. Didn't move it far with the gate open as I don't want to buy a new piece of glass. And not sure if it's the same sensor but I can roll it up and down with it unlocked. Both of these issues are fine with me but may not be with others.
Here is a pic of mine, red jumper, and the pic I got from pirate4x4, white jumper. Hope this helps some out.
And the link from pirate
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...ge=1&_k=axcglv

Now my question is this. Does this mean my switch is faulty? Should I just soldier this wire in place on the bottom of the switch? And if my switch is fine then can someone tell me what is not ok?

Thanks all
Attached Thumbnails 85 4Runner Rear Window Fix ish...-photo29.jpg   85 4Runner Rear Window Fix ish...-photo809.jpg  

Last edited by thefishguy77; 01-27-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Ok so my rear window got progressively more finicky on when it would work. First the tailgate key switch failed then the in-cab one finally quit.

So I searched and came up with tons of threads saying look at 4crawlers site your good to go. And for most that is probably true. I am a mental midget when it comes to car electrical so his write up sounded great but I can't read an electrical diagram to save my life.

Well started searching on pirate and the same thing until I found a picture of the in-cab switch being jumped. Essentially the outside wires get jumped and both switches now work. However it does bypass some safety's, tailgate closed sensor is no longer working as I can roll it up or down with the gate open. Didn't move it far with the gate open as I don't want to buy a new piece of glass. And not sure if it's the same sensor but I can roll it up and down with it unlocked. Both of these issues are fine with me but may not be with others.
Here is a pic of mine, red jumper, and the pic I got from pirate4x4, white jumper. Hope this helps some out.
And the link from pirate
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...ge=1&_k=axcglv

Now my question is this. Does this mean my switch is faulty? Should I just soldier this wire in place on the bottom of the switch? And if my switch is fine then can someone tell me what is not ok?

Thanks all
this method by passes the safety system by running a ground wire from the lighting circuit.

It's a test not a fix, turn your dimmer switch all the way down and your switch will stop working. If you want to by pass everything on this manor your best off to connect directly to the body, by removing the center connection and placing it on a ring terminal and screwing to the body.

The fault lays in one of two switch's, the top detection or gate closed switch's. Your console switch is not at fault.

Typical cause is a loose and dirty switch in the tailgate.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:40 PM

So to make this permanent fix I take the red W/blue stripe and put a ring connector and use that wire as a ground?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 03:22 PM

I'm colorblind those two wires look the same to me. The right side in your photo is the light, left side the window.

Or you could clean and tighten the tailgate detection switch
Old 01-28-2017, 06:29 PM

Is it the tailgate lock detection switch? I sick with electrical and as you know there is a lot of stuff packed in a small area. My Google fu is week and I can't find a picture of it.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Is it the tailgate lock detection switch? I sick with electrical and as you know there is a lot of stuff packed in a small area. My Google fu is week and I can't find a picture of it.
It's integral with the left hand gate latch.

Last edited by millball; 01-28-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:32 PM

Cool I will look at it tomorrow. Thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Link to troubleshooting and what is what
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 PM

Chef has a good picture somewhere in that long build thread, Google popped up this one. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51985827

End of the arrow, iirc they gum up.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Link to troubleshooting and what is what
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
(he's been thru that and lots of threads he mentioned)

I didn't see the part in question there,, closest is the part location diagram ,and I can't blame him for getting dizzy trying to follow that
Old 01-29-2017, 08:28 AM

Thanks CO and Drop. Really appreciate the help.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:40 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
(he's been thru that and lots of threads he mentioned)

I didn't see the part in question there,, closest is the part location diagram ,and I can't blame him for getting dizzy trying to follow that
missed the 4crawler part, i hate working on the tailgate etc.

I had this problem creep up a couple of weeks ago, I could lower the window with both front and rear switches but couldn't unlock the tailgate.
Finally had time to look into it yesterday, I took it apart and forced the lock up, manually pulled the cables to lower the tailgate and than found a little tiny spring broken that was preventing me from unlocking it. I couldn't believe that was the issue...

now i can at least get the tail gate down
Name:  170128035933_zpsholusmax.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  515.3 KB
I
realized it isn't the same issue but I feel your frustration

Last edited by dropzone; 01-29-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Ohh i forgot about that little bugger, switch on the window regulator.

I'm pretty pretty sure my whole tailgate was replaced just to not have to debug the circuits back there by a previous owner.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:00 PM

Yea it's pretty cramped in there