Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

84 fj60 v8 conversion advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 fj60 v8 conversion advice

i know there are a bunch of topics around the web for this, so sorry for posting another, but there are so many options, and everyone i read is a little bit different to mine. i have an 84 fj60 2f that i got for next to nothing, didnt run, ive tried getting it running, but im not a fan of the weber for it, i know theres still issues, and before i spend the money on getting it going, i want to weigh the options. it has some rust, not alot but enough to not want to stick too much into it. the conversion, will be a starter, if i like it ill get a better fj60, and go nutz, tbi 5 speed the works. the budget i have wont allow me to get a 5 speed, unless i find a used something. i have a buddy who races street stock monte. he has a stock carbed 350 for me. and itl be cheap. so my real question, is the adapter options. i know AA has adapters, but their site isnt freindly. i work to late in the day to call them. im looking to keep it simple, so can i just get an adapter to make my stock tranny and transfer work? or should i be looking at somthing else? what about a full chevy drive line? my buddy has an auto trans from the original truck, but id like to keep the stick? i dont know how much driveshaft work costs, but i was wondering if a stock something drive line would work with different DS. sorry for the long post, but to sum it up the question would be whats the cheapest way to get a 350 into my fj60? itll be mainly a grocery getter\hunting vehicle\occasional offroad.

Last edited by vito51; 10-20-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The best thing to do is get a free buyers guide.

Maybe hey don't have them anymore, and maybe they're no longer free... But the last time I looked, they were still offering one.

Aside from going mental on the endless combinations, it's also an added benefit to get the cat for it's info on drivetrains.

I know all the mini's are listed, not too sure to the extent of the LC's.

Call them and get it on the way... And you'll also want some "me time" when it comes

Then just go through it with a mental picture of all the possibilities.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanx for the reply, but my question still stands, whats the cheapest way to get a 350 in a LC? i have a 350 motor and trans from a 1/2 ton chevy, will it work with driveshaft work? costs? or is it just an AA adapter with the 350 and stock LC trans?