Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re T-chain replacement gone wrong. Help!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re T-chain replacement gone wrong. Help!

Hey Yotatech! So i've got a problem...Maybe YOU can help fix... So early Dec. 09, I noticed an abundant supply of white smoke, dropping coolant levels, etc. etc...Every possible sign of a HG leak...Now im no where near being a great mechanic...But im no idiot...im a senior in high school and have very little funds...So ANYWAY I pulled my engine apart did my headgasket without doing my Tchain...Turns out the chain slipped a tooth while in the process...It fired right up but it was obvious timing was WAY off and I couldn't get it to idle correct..(meanwhile all of the wrenching was done at my buddys shop) Merry christmas to me right?...So I flatbedded it to my house and figured i'd just do a timing chain/cover replacement...I was waiting and waiting on $$$ and finally got it all 2 months later...So I took it all apart and got everything in and all lined up....As I looked everything twice over before I started it up I noticed A little corner of the oil pump o-ring had slipped out when I was putting the pump on...So what do I do? I say screw it..."worse thing thats gonna happen is oils gonna leak"...It started up sounded amazing!! Got it timed to 5 Degrees...Looked down and what do I see? A giant puddle of oil...Turned off the engine immediately and looked at everything...Just as I thought, it was that o-ring...So I waited three days for my local auto parts store to get me my o-ring as I pulled everything back apart...Got the new one in...had everything to TDC...Put my distributor back in and got everything ready...And it DIDN'T start!! I know it is the timing for a fact so I pulled my valve cover back off...tried to get the notch in he camgear up top and the notch in my crank pulley to 0 and they are way off...I'm sure this is because the crank gear has less teeth than the camgear...Am I right? What do I have to do to get everything lined back up the proper way?

This truck WAS my DD when it ran and I havent had it for almost 3 months now...I was working residential construction/carpentry when I could drive...But now I cant even work because of it...

Hopefully this isn't a repost because I sure havent been able to find anything on this...

Thanks for everyone reading this and thanks in advance on any ideas/thoughts you have on it!

Hopefully I'll be back on the road pretty soon...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm reading this right, you removed your distributor just to replace an oil pump seal?

Anyway it sounds like you didn't get the distributor back in correctly.

With the valve cover off rotate the crank till the mark on the cam gear is at 12 o'clock then just slide the dizzy in making sure the rotor is pointed at the # 1 position on the dist. cap. should be good to go after that.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
If I'm reading this right, you removed your distributor just to replace an oil pump seal?

Yea...I realized right after I did it...lol I had that exact same thought..."Why am I a idiot sometimes?" Lol

Alright...sounds good...Im gonna try that and see if it works... Thanks man!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM

TT any other ideas guys?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Remember, the crank spins 2:1 to the cam. The crank is exactly 1/2 the diameter of the cam.

You likely just put the dizzy back in 180 degrees off. Its a very very very common mistake. Set your crank back to zero, and put the dizzy in pointing to #1. If it doesn't fire, rotate the crank one revolution (or 180 degrees of cam movement) and put the dizzy back in pointing again to 1. It will fire this time if it didn't the first try.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Remember, the crank spins 2:1 to the cam. The crank is exactly 1/2 the diameter of the cam.

You likely just put the dizzy back in 180 degrees off. Its a very very very common mistake. Set your crank back to zero, and put the dizzy in pointing to #1. If it doesn't fire, rotate the crank one revolution (or 180 degrees of cam movement) and put the dizzy back in pointing again to 1. It will fire this time if it didn't the first try.

WOW. I feel so honored lol DC wrote on my post! lmbo...ANYWAY...Thanks im definately gonna try this 2morrow...Man I love yotatech, Everytime I feel like giving up on this truck you guys come to the rescue!!! Thanks again...
Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 PM

Got it running guys!! Thanks a lot...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM

I hate this mistake every time I make it ><