Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22r ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 22r ignition

Hi just wanting to know if I put a stronger ignition coil in my 22r will it fry other parts of the system?
i am looking at putting a Accel supercoil in. But am concerned about frying the distributor.
Main reason for this change is that my car runs like a dog on cold mornings it's starting to become annoying.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
What model and year is your vehicle?

I am not sure about the stronger ignition coil. I personally would not do it unless I was designing a performance engine. The stock ignition system is pretty good from the factory.

I have a feeling you are trying to cover up the symptoms of a problem rather than trying to fix the problem itself.

How do you know the coil is the problem?

Did this problem start recently or has the vehicle done this since you owned it?

I would check the obvious tune up items: Distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, etc. just to rule out their contribution to your problem.

Since the 22R is carbureted, I would first verify that the choke is working. I would also check for vacuum leaks (there are several vacuum lines that could leak) as well as the EGR valve.

As a side note: If you have the factory carburetor, only one of the two throttle plates will open until the engine warms up to prevent racing a cold engine. This will decrease performance if you are putting "pedal to the metal" while the engine is still cold.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 22r 2.4 petrol 2wd hilux/pickup
all vacuume lines tested factory carb rebuilt timing done by mechanic. Mechanic suggested bigger spark if that didn't work try new alternator.
I am not running a thermostat so will put one in tommorrow. Performance shop told me to close the gap on the spark plug if I wanted a bigger spark so will try this as well. I warm my car up for 10 min before driving but it never reaches proper operating temp. I don't think any of the above are the issue changing from third to fourth weather cold or warm it stutters I have to feather the accelerator to get the thing to go properly anyoying to have to do this all the time.
Whay do you think?

Quick Reply: 22r ignition