Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1993 Pickup Idle Up Screw Missing (A/C and power steering)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Pickup Idle Up Screw Missing (A/C and power steering)

I recently bought a 1993 Toyota pickup (22RE, 4X4) because I wanted a farm truck that is easy to work on, durable, and was light on fuel consumption. In the short time that I've had it and driven it, I have been really happy with it.

Anyways, I started replacing all the vacuum lines and realized that I am missing the adjustment screw on the idle up valve for the A/C and power steering. I found a picture of what should be there in another thread and have attached that image. I put a vacuum cap on it for now, but I doubt that is doing anything to help.

I tried looking online for this screw and can only find the entire idle up valve assembly. When I called the Toyota dealership in town, they gave me the same response and offered to sell me one for $350. The local scrapyards don't have any vehicles with 22RE engines and I plan to head to some scrap yards in nearby towns over the next weekend I have time.

So my first question is: Does anyone know of a place to purchase this screw?

If not, would someone be able to take a photo and some measurements of the screw removed? My buddy has a mill and lathe and I can probably trade a six pack for an evening of machining my own adjustment screw. I would need to know the thread pitch, diameters of smooth sections, and lengths of threaded and smooth sections.

I'm experiencing some minor issues with the engine right now which I think may be related to missing this screw, one of which is rough idle when letting off the gas while warm. The other is some oil showing up on the underside of the hood, which I'm not sure could be caused by this but is suspiciously located above the idle up assembly.
Attached Thumbnails 1993 Pickup Idle Up Screw Missing (A/C and power steering)-dscn0442.jpg  

Last edited by converted_cyclist; 12-29-2016 at 01:53 PM. Reason: left out engine type