Notices
Items Wanted Vehicle and non vehicle related

WTB[SouthCent]: Single Old Piston and rod 22re

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Single Old Piston and rod 22re

This may sound strange, but I am looking to buy a single piston and rod from an old truck that is not in use anymore, im sure someone has an old junk one laying around their garage somewhere. Im not looking to use it in a motor, im looking to make a decorative piece out of it. I can not find anything anywhere online for any used ones, I feel like these get thrown away quite a bit. Im looking to clean it up and use it as a decoration. Please email me at dbbowen2@gmail.com if you have one youre willing to get rid of. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I have a 95 22re with a spun bering I'm parting out, so sounds about perfect. Did you want to go for the crank too since it is "bad" in the sense that it would have to be turned and special bearings ran. Shipping to TN shouldn't be too bad from MI.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by atcfixer
I have a 95 22re with a spun bering I'm parting out, so sounds about perfect. Did you want to go for the crank too since it is "bad" in the sense that it would have to be turned and special bearings ran. Shipping to TN shouldn't be too bad from MI.

Awesome!!! I think the crank might be too big for what I was going for. It's going to go on my desk in my office lol. When might you be stripping it down?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:11 PM

Pretty soon actually, I gota unbolt the block from the trans some time and pull it out by hand (no big tools at my house), so I'd be dropping the crank/pistons out anyway to make it lighter. Here is how it sits, and the oil pan is already removed =).

I also have a set is new pistons, but for an art project used is probably the most cost effective. I'm pretty sure shipping wouldn't be effected too much shipping 1 vs 4, you want all 4? Anything else you're looking for while I'm grabbing parts in the next day or two?
Attached Thumbnails Single Old Piston and rod 22re-dscn3782.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 08:19 AM

Pretty soon actually, I gota unbolt the block from the trans some time and pull it out by hand (no big tools at my house), so I'd be dropping the crank/pistons out anyway to make it lighter. Here is how it sits, and the oil pan is already removed =).

I also have a set is new pistons, but for an art project used is probably the most cost effective. I'm pretty sure shipping wouldn't be effected too much shipping 1 vs 4, you want all 4? Anything else you're looking for while I'm grabbing parts in the next day or two?

i think one will be fine, thanks for the offer though, I am looking for a working IACV for a 22re... lol
Old 10-01-2016, 08:50 AM

I assume you're the same person that needed that before, good news is, I'm looking to get another truck and a 1/2, and the 1/2 should have the older style 22re.

How soon were you wanting the piston? I won't have the trucks here for a while since they are around a 3 hour drive away. Giving a rust free box for them and I'm delivering.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:57 AM

I assume you're the same person that needed that before, good news is, I'm looking to get another truck and a 1/2, and the 1/2 should have the older style 22re.

How soon were you wanting the piston? I won't have the trucks here for a while since they are around a 3 hour drive away. Giving a rust free box for them and I'm delivering.
ill take the piston as soon as you're ready to ship it sir. I may have found an iacv. Waiting to hear from him about it
Old 10-01-2016, 11:16 AM

Ok, today I'm prepping for a guy to come out that is buying some parts off me, maybe tomorrow or the next day I'll be able to get under the truck and sneak a piston or two out.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:02 PM

Ok, today I'm prepping for a guy to come out that is buying some parts off me, maybe tomorrow or the next day I'll be able to get under the truck and sneak a piston or two out.
sounds good to me man. Just keep me in the loop
Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 AM

Sorry for the delay, had a couple local buyers come out for parts.

Anyway, it is pulled. How's $10 shipped sound (I don't think shipping will be too bad)

Looks like the story I was told on the engine is accurate, the bearing from rod to crank has a spot that isn't fully broke in yet, so it clearly had new bearings installed.
Attached Thumbnails Single Old Piston and rod 22re-dscn3800.jpg  
Old 10-05-2016, 10:31 AM

Sorry for the delay, had a couple local buyers come out for parts.

Anyway, it is pulled. How's $10 shipped sound (I don't think shipping will be too bad)

Looks like the story I was told on the engine is accurate, the bearing from rod to crank has a spot that isn't fully broke in yet, so it clearly had new bearings installed.
awesome! That's perfect! Do you have paypal? What are your plans for the motor going forward?
Old 10-05-2016, 10:48 AM

The truck is being parted out, had a ton of metal shavings in the oil pan, huge chunks as well (piston/rod must have blown out in the past and they never cleaned it). I'm counting the block basically junk lol. I've sold quite a lot of parts off it, really close to being even on what I have into the truck and I get to scrap the left overs yet and sell a few parts that should bump the return on investment to about double back or so.

Personally, I have my eyes set on running 2.7L or 3.4L in anything older since I have the parts and fab skills to do it so the 22r/re parts I don't really need for any reason. I'm building a 1st gen 4runner with the 2.7L with the W59 bell housing and the orig W56 trans. Hoping for 25mpg+ out of it with 4.10 gearing on 32's and hypermiling it some.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:57 AM

Dang, nice plan you got there. The extra power would be appreciated im sure. Im stuck with my 22re and chasing idle probs for now. That IACV I got turned out to be junk
Old 10-07-2016, 06:31 PM

Awe that's no fun.

I have a small addiction of buying things I know last well and are designed well (Honda 3 wheelers and Toyota cars/trucks atm). A 2.7L swap is quite easy if your truck has the w56 (or w55 or w46), the main thing you need is a W59 bell housing and the motor mounts are close but not close enough. Wiring is the harry part for most people.

I'm getting another 2 trucks (kind of 3) most likely to be parted out. A 93 4x4 22re, front half of a 95 pickup 4x4 22re (blown head gasket but on fresh rebuild as the story goes), and the last is just a cab off of a 84 4x4 in fair shape (cracked dash and floor is rotted but rockers I guess are usable). Should be an interesting load with a car dolly (heavy duty home built) for the pickup, the front half of the 95 in the back of it, and the cab in the back of my 3.4L Tacoma. I was thinking the 84 pickup came with the engine but I was mistaken. I have a running engine I might just part out since it probably is easier to sell as parts instead of whole. I'll give it a shot first just encase though, if things don't go well on that I'll let you know on the IACV.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:19 PM

Man, I wish i had the skill and knowledge to do that. I just got my 4runner a year or so ago and am still learning. When I got it I had a shop put a shiny brand new reman 22re in it not knowing any better. I also had them replace a lot of the suspension.... I paid them WAYYYY WAYYY too much to do it.... and this is what it looks like now. Motor was installed in january.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dtC3i

If i would have known, for the same price I could have done the 3RZ 2.7L swap. I SOO WISH i would have known and done it. I am also doing a sas too next spring so its a lot of wasted money, and the shop didnt care, more money for them... One day, Ill swap in a 3rz.

Last edited by dbbowen; 10-07-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:01 AM

The oil build up looks like the valve cover gasket. If you want to do some learning, you could try to replace it your self since it is a pretty simple job. The big thing you have to be careful about is tightening the bolts enough to seal it, but now too much to break them. If the engine was a reman, it *should* have new gaskets already. Maybe they didn't tighten the bolts enough on top of the valve cover, or the gasket shrunk a little since then and needs to be tightened again (common for the 3.4L)

I'm tempted to ask how much you paid, but I have a pretty good idea already since reman engines (long block) are something like $1500-2000, and the shop would have charged you a markup of probably 30-50% on it. Labor gets expensive fast, not sure what it calls for, but it was probably atleast 8 hours and shops charge from $40-100/hr in my area so I'm thinking around $4-5k. Not sure how much more a 2.7L would be, since the computer and dash wiring have to be mated together and some people are terrible with wiring (even at shops).

If you wanted go go power, but don't really tow anything, check out a 2JZ swap. It's a Turboed 3.0L stright 6 engine out of a Toyota Supra. For a cheaper option on the engine, a 1UZ is getting a little easier to find out of a LS/GS400 but it is a 4.0L v8 and are a tight fit in the engine bay, mainly the frame rails.

I've never done any of them swaps, but I'd think easiest to do would be a 3RZ (maybe 2JZ too?) in a truck that came with the 22R/RE and the 5VZ (3.4L v6) into a truck that came with the 3VZ 3.0L.

Personally speaking, if you're looking to do another engine swap, and it will cost a lot of money again, why not buy a second 4runner/pickup, do all the work you want to it and get the engine swapped etc as funds allow. When everything is said and done and it is reliable, sell what you're driving now and recoup a bit of the cost. A reman engine + proof should bring extra money. Keep all the paper work that shows what was done to it.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:08 AM

Off road solutions makes a near painless wiring kit with connectors to integrate the 3rz into the 22re, I found it after I had the 22re installed. The reason I had my heart set on the 3rz is that I can use my W series transmission and keep all of my axles. I spoke with a guy who put a 7mgte in his 4runner and blows diffs like crazy, the 2J would be worse. With the 3rz I can use the 22re radiatior and with the W59 bellhousing it bolts right up. The hardest part is moving the motor mounts on the frame. An extra 50 HP and similar gas mileage would be nice, extra torque too.

Maybe I can find a good home for the 22re once I get the leak fixed. It has a 3 year 300k mile warranty on it. The main reason I bought it. I would like to be able to cruise on the highway haha. Selling this one is out of the question, I have spent countless hours on the interior making it perfect and color matched. Swapped in 1988 turbo seats front and back, and converted it to the arm rest style power windows and locks, and still has vent windows. It has original paint, no rust and no body problems.

Single Old Piston and rod 22re-ihirqqfl.jpg