Notices
Items Wanted Vehicle and non vehicle related

WTB[PacNorWest]: 84-88 SR5 Fuel Gauge (can be out of broken cluster)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
84-88 SR5 Fuel Gauge (can be out of broken cluster)

I'm looking to create a custom (stock looking) SR5 custom double fuel gauge for my 1st gen 4Runner (to support dual tanks). Do you have a broken SR5 cluster with a working fuel gauge? Is so, perfect the gauge is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm located in Portland, but willing to pay shipping.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:25 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Have a photo of the fuel gauge you need? I suspect other years and trim levels might work too, but I don't know the exact visual differences. I've parted out clusters before, not sure if I have any more damaged ones or not.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:07 AM

Yes, it's this one: I plan to swap out the ammeter for a second fuel gauge and make it look stock
Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
stanz - neat idea, I just looked at my non-SR5 gas gauge and its not the same, so you'd need an sr5 one. Another idea is to just have a vinyl sticker made that mimics the fuel one and stick it over the ammeter, that way you don't bust up your nice sr5 cluster. I imagine that you could change some resistors on the board to match the ammeter gauge movement to the fuel level movement.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
stanz - neat idea, I just looked at my non-SR5 gas gauge and its not the same, so you'd need an sr5 one. Another idea is to just have a vinyl sticker made that mimics the fuel one and stick it over the ammeter, that way you don't bust up your nice sr5 cluster. I imagine that you could change some resistors on the board to match the ammeter gauge movement to the fuel level movement.
With a multi meter and some testing, I think you are correct. A good wire diagram would be ideal to make sure they atleast function on the same basic logic, but I'd assume they are the same.

I don't have any clusters exactly like that, but I also have some car ones etc I could look at. The 86 non-sr5 ones I've seen have a face on the fuel gauge that mounts in the cluster, if the face is removed, maybe the mounting points would match that sr5 style.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by atcfixer
With a multi meter and some testing, I think you are correct. A good wire diagram would be ideal to make sure they atleast function on the same basic logic, but I'd assume they are the same.

I don't have any clusters exactly like that, but I also have some car ones etc I could look at. The 86 non-sr5 ones I've seen have a face on the fuel gauge that mounts in the cluster, if the face is removed, maybe the mounting points would match that sr5 style.
Thanks. Those two types of gauges are built quite differently. Anything is possible, but it would be quicker and more within my technical capabilities to swap in a fuel gauge behind the faceplate (and use a vinyl decal as describe above) to get this going. I'll try to hold out for someone that has the right year gauge available.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will one out of an SR5 Auto work? I just disassembled one at the junk yard for the temp gauge, I can go back and get the fuel
Old 03-25-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jaysson_2012
Will one out of an SR5 Auto work? I just disassembled one at the junk yard for the temp gauge, I can go back and get the fuel
yes! That will work!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'll try to go pick it up on my lunch break tomorrow. They charged​ me $10 for the temp gauge, so expect something similar to that plus shipping. Just to confirm, you know the auto doesn't have the volt meter above the fuel right?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jaysson_2012
Ok, I'll try to go pick it up on my lunch break tomorrow. They charged​ me $10 for the temp gauge, so expect something similar to that plus shipping. Just to confirm, you know the auto doesn't have the volt meter above the fuel right?
yes. That's perfect for what I need. Thank you!