03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Ok V8 owners..how do we get more power ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok V8 owners..how do we get more power ?

Based on the SC thread, I am currently in the camp of folks who say "Not gonna SC until this is worked out or ever due to concerns about grenading my 4.7".

The fact that 05/06 models may have 282 hp stock does not sit well with me.

With that in mind, it appears the only options commerically available at this time are :

1. Cat back - good for 5 hp tops !
2. Modified inlet/filter

This one is a tricky one as I know work on 3rd gens showed FIPK type systems actually robbed power and torque mid range. However, looking at the 4th gen V8 intake system and resonator, there are lots of ways to improve flow.

I could try a K&N intake system ( anyone do this yet) and I may have the ability to do a before and after power ran at work.

There does not appear to be a good way to deck plate the stock airbox without a lot of work for little gain.

So, with no SC, that it !

Anyone wanna chime in and give me some good news

David
Old 11-29-2004, 07:17 AM

Are headers available for it yet?
Old 11-29-2004, 07:20 AM

Hey nrgetic99,
Ill give you some ideas on modifications that I did on my tacoma, that you could possibly apply to your 4.7L:

Port and polish both the intake manifold and the heads for improved flow.

Install a phenolic spacer between the throttle body, intake manifold, and head to keep your air intake temperature lower.
You can also achieve this to a degree by bypassing the throttle body coolant.

As you meantion before you can replace intake tube and box, but from my test o n the 3.4. It took away from power due to the fact the engine was running approx 10% lean. which is never a good thing

I havent looked at the 4.7 in awhile do I dont know how doable it is, but can you create your own intake tube with some pvc?

You can also add a piggyback unit such as the smt5...not 6 to refine your fuel setting and timing.

Headers, I dont remember you mentioning this. You can even get away with a new y-pipe. Had a friend who did his y-pipe, with a custome catback and it gave a good kick in the pants

Ignition solutions has an upgrade ignition unit for the 4.7 to run a multispark setup.

Im sure ill think of some more stuff later...gotta get back to work and be productive :pat:
Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by blink
Hey nrgetic99,
Ill give you some ideas on modifications that I did on my tacoma, that you could possibly apply to your 4.7L:

Port and polish both the intake manifold and the heads for improved flow.

Install a phenolic spacer between the throttle body, intake manifold, and head to keep your air intake temperature lower.
You can also achieve this to a degree by bypassing the throttle body coolant.

As you meantion before you can replace intake tube and box, but from my test o n the 3.4. It took away from power due to the fact the engine was running approx 10% lean. which is never a good thing

I havent looked at the 4.7 in awhile do I dont know how doable it is, but can you create your own intake tube with some pvc?

You can also add a piggyback unit such as the smt5...not 6 to refine your fuel setting and timing.

Headers, I dont remember you mentioning this. You can even get away with a new y-pipe. Had a friend who did his y-pipe, with a custome catback and it gave a good kick in the pants

Ignition solutions has an upgrade ignition unit for the 4.7 to run a multispark setup.

Im sure ill think of some more stuff later...gotta get back to work and be productive :pat:
Thanks for all the suggestions !

This makes the SC on my 3.4 seem like a lunchbreak mod

Headers will be a challenge as I have a cat in the down pipe from the headers , ditto a new Y pipe for that reason.

The SC would be so elegant as it maintains factory warranty.

I may try the K&N route but I cannot understand how it would result in an overly lean situation as the filter is upstream of the MAF and it is a full closed loop feedback system so upto the limits of the fuel delivery system, more air should equal more fuel.

Clearly, I need to rolling road test this mod if I do it.

David
Old 11-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Get a few of these under the hood!!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
Thanks for all the suggestions !
I may try the K&N route but I cannot understand how it would result in an overly lean situation as the filter is upstream of the MAF and it is a full closed loop feedback system so upto the limits of the fuel delivery system, more air should equal more fuel.
Sorry, heh I guess is should clarify.

When i added my intake onto my truck it resulted in a my ecu having to add approx 10% more fuel so that the engine was in a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. (Check engine light for a lean condition usually triggers when 20-25% of extra fuel is needed... so you are halfway there, atleast on a 3.4)

So in closed loop mode, you are correct that the ecu will compensate add more fuel. When at WOT the ecu is switched to an open loop mode(which you probally know), the ecu uses predefine maps. This maps are designed and programmed for stock operation and does not take into account the percentage of extra fuel needed to compensate for the extra air from the intake.

Hope that helps and makes sense... Im still sleepy
Old 01-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Banned

I am running the K&N Air Charger intake ... it made a very noticeable difference -- one that is STILL noticeable even after the 35s went on! It's not too expensive, either, so it might be a good route to go for the time being.