03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Inner CV boot failure

Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inner CV boot failure

I know a lot of you have lifted your 4th gen runners with either a 2 or 3 inch front lift. I installed a Readylift 3" front 2" rear and within a day the passenger side inner boot (on the small side of shaft) failed. I had the clamp replaced and it last a day or two and then I noticed the driver side boot clamp failed at the same location. The leaks are small now but I do not want it to get worse. Has anyone had trouble with their CV boots after lifting???

I only have 53500 miles on my 2003 but I am wondering if the actual boot near the clamp has a tear or crack that is allowing the grease to escape.

I can't be the only one who has seen this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 AM

that's why people install a differential drop kit, doesn't really matter what year/model is. your CV is rotating as _ / -, as the inner is shorter thus less forgiving upon stretch.

diff drop is very easy to install, at least on the 3rd gen's, faster than an oil change.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 AM

I understand your point

If that is true why doesn't Daystar or Revtek add a diff drop kit? I have seen plenty of lifted 4th Gens with out a diff drop and seem to run just fine.

The Readylift kit I brought is for both the 4th gen and new FJ. It appears the diff drop was only physically tested on the FJ since the diff drop does not 100% work with the 4th gen's skid plates. Readylift only added (2) 1/2" skid plate spacers and the 4th gen needs atleast 4.

Once I get the additional skid spacers I will add the diff drop.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 AM

why vendors sell shocks or springs by "per piece" which you will need "a pair"? it makes the price "lower". that's all marketing.
the reason they leak grease is because boots were stretched out and grease was squeezed out. if you don't do some thing to correct that CV angle, it's not gonna stop themselves, period. next, the boots will tear at the clamp.

there are 4 things you can do:
1.) reduce the lift(not likely)
2.) switch to longer boots(it's still gonna tear, but longer than stock, may not available)
3.) switch to a different CV axles(not likely, may not available)
4.) drop the diff.(cheap and easy)
Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been running my lift for quite a while now, with no problems.

After I installed mine, there wasn't really much of a CV joint angle. Before the lift, while standing still and sitting level, the CV shafts were straight, with very little or no CV joint angle. There is an angle now, but it doesn't look excessive.

I recently even installed some home made front spacers that gave another 3/4" of lift, with no additional issues. The original lifted height was only about 2 1/4" more than stock in front, and now it is right at 3" more than stock.

While I was installing my lift, I had a little trouble keeping my axleshafts in place. A few times, I had them move to where the CV joints were at full angle, and a few times the CV joints tried to pull apart.

Is it possible that you may have simply damaged the inner boots while you were installing the lift, and it didn't show up until after everything was back together?

Last edited by William; 06-10-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM

3" suspension lift changes the CV angle a lot, consider the axle shaft(not the whole CV axle) is only 12" long. it's pretty common among us who carry spare CV axle(s) while out wheeling. on my '99, I have both of my originals replaced with lifetime warranty NAPA re-man'ed within 4 months after the lift install. and I have another pair as spares. actually changing the whole CV axle is a pretty simple job, half hour per side, much easier and less messy than changing the boots.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 AM

Diff drop installed

Thanks for everyone's input.
I installed the 1" diff drop kit that ReadyLift supplies and given how the differential is hung on the cross member the drop is less than 1".
The drive shaft angles are improved but not to stock angles. I will run it for a few days and see if this solved the leak issue.

If not I will replace the clamps.