86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zuk vs ome's

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zuk vs ome's

Hey guys I still havent decided what to pick for my 87 truck. Which would give me more flex and longevity?

And no chevys arent an option.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Zuk mod is an add on temp fix. Still have old saggy leaf springs.

New leafs is a replacement solution.

:wabbit2:
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
my OME medium duty leafs make the rear of my 93 xcab sit at 23" from center of hub to fender after nearly 2yrs having them. i've never experience the ZUK mod in person so I can't say truthfully, but i'd think i might give slightly better flex and softer ride because of the worn out leafs giving less resistance - also probably won't drop as much as new leafs since the OMEs have a slight lift integrated. coils also might keep the leafs from compressing as much also, but i dunno. replacing the leaf springs is technically the proper way to remedy the issue.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coronadrinker85
Hey guys I still havent decided what to pick for my 87 truck. Which would give me more flex and longevity?

And no chevys arent an option.
New leaves will give better flex, coils (ZUK) will last longer.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Zuk mod is an add on temp fix. Still have old saggy leaf springs.

New leafs is a replacement solution.

I agree that new leaves is a replacement solution but the ZUK mod is not a temp fix. It offers better load capacity, better ride and will never sag.

In the end it all depends on what you want to do with your rig. Want to be a flexy rock crawler? Go with leaves. Want to haul more, perhaps be a weekend wheeler to go to remote fishing/camping places and have a smooth ride there and back (with less money spent on the upgrade) then add some coils.

I've done the ZUK mod twice for less money that it would have cost me to replace my leaf springs once and I haul a lot of gear when I go out.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
my OME medium duty leafs make the rear of my 93 xcab sit at 23" from center of hub to fender after nearly 2yrs having them. i've never experience the ZUK mod in person so I can't say truthfully, but i'd think i might give slightly better flex and softer ride because of the worn out leafs giving less resistance - also probably won't drop as much as new leafs since the OMEs have a slight lift integrated. coils also might keep the leafs from compressing as much also, but i dunno. replacing the leaf springs is technically the proper way to remedy the issue.
I have a question for you on the OME springs. I know that the OME springs have somewhat of a lift integrated into them. Did you replace your rear shocks to an extended length set?

Also, a more general n00b question for the site. My rear leafs are pretty saggy/flat. Would an add-a-leaf be a safe option to bring it back up to height/add height? I've seen many people use this setup as a way to add height in the back, but I never seem to find anyone that states their leaf springs were worn out at the time. Coming from the import tuner world where the suspension was the most butchered thing typically done to the car, the last thing I want to do is do the equivalent on the truck.

I know the Zuk setup is common and highly recommended, but I don't think I necessarily want to go that route at this point.

Thanks, and sorry for threadjacking.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, an AAL will help the flat rear springs. You want a long, thin AAL spring vs.a short, thick one:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...es.shtml#FAQ14

Will improve your ride as you'll be lifting the rest of the leaves up off the stiff overload leaf on the bottom of the pack.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are talking about the difference between one of the cheapest fixes (ZUK) to one of the more expensive (Old Man Emu's). I have done the ZUK mod, and while it does fix rear end sag, it killed flex. It all depends on what you want to do with the rig. If you want it for daily driving and grocery getting, then the ZUK is probably fine. If you want to go crawl around on rocks, then it might be worth it to go OME springs. Having experienced them, I would even try an AAL, or simply rebuilding your spring pack with other springs if you can find them. There are a lot of options out there for leaves. If OMEs are in the budget, get 'em. They will serve both purposes well.

YMMV.

MC
Old 03-22-2011, 01:10 PM

Cool, thanks guys.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
New leaves will give better flex, coils (ZUK) will last longer.

I agree that new leaves is a replacement solution but the ZUK mod is not a temp fix. It offers better load capacity, better ride and will never sag.

In the end it all depends on what you want to do with your rig. Want to be a flexy rock crawler? Go with leaves. Want to haul more, perhaps be a weekend wheeler to go to remote fishing/camping places and have a smooth ride there and back (with less money spent on the upgrade) then add some coils.

I've done the ZUK mod twice for less money that it would have cost me to replace my leaf springs once and I haul a lot of gear when I go out.
To me doing the zuk mod is like adding new shocks to your truck without removing the old ones. Even after you do it you still have saggy leaf springs and your coils will eventually sag as well.

I had a saggy rear springs 87 and put in a few newer leafs from some junkers I had around and it fixed the sag. Or a simple AAL.

It's a mod for fixing on road sag. Adding it for off-road performance is pointless IMO. Nothing against the Zuk man either.

We all know you are just a curb hopper anyway Junkers

Old 03-22-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

It's a mod for fixing on road sag. Adding it for off-road performance is pointless IMO. Nothing against the Zuk man either.

We all know you are just a curb hopper anyway Junkers

Ouch man! That kind of hurt. *grin*

Yes the ZUK mod is not for off road flex..... I know that. It does however help with load capacity and make the on road ride better.

Besides, I can't hop a curb with flat leaves.... it just bounces too much and I refuse to spill my drink hitting a speed bump.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM

I love my coils, i havent done any wheeling to check the flex, nothing but mud here. But i think they would do alright, they are the 14 inch 100lb coils.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
You are talking about the difference between one of the cheapest fixes (ZUK) to one of the more expensive (Old Man Emu's).
it's only cheaper if you're installing used coils, which a lot of people are doing - because it's cheap. brand new coils cost almost as much as leafs depending on which ones you're looking at.

McFly -- i installed the OME N98 shocks I believe, as recommended by OME.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Ouch man! That kind of hurt. *grin*

Yes the ZUK mod is not for off road flex..... I know that. It does however help with load capacity and make the on road ride better.

Besides, I can't hop a curb with flat leaves.... it just bounces too much and I refuse to spill my beer hitting a speed bump.
sorry, I had to do it...
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 AM

it's only cheaper if you're installing used coils, which a lot of people are doing - because it's cheap. brand new coils cost almost as much as leafs depending on which ones you're looking at.

McFly -- i installed the OME N98 shocks I believe, as recommended by OME.
When I did mine (and I think a lot of others have done the same) I bought new coils from Black Magic.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM

I did the Zuk mod months ago and I went the weldless route...I never replaced the shocks, so I haven't noticed a difference in ride quality yet (they're pretty bad right meow)

Anyways, I'm debating whether I should stay with the ZUk mod or if I should step up to the OME heavy kit...

I'm not interested in rock crawling, my priority is reliability & overland travel. We just need to carry all our gear and be able to get to remote locations, safely and in one piece with minimal breakdowns. We are actually driving the vehicle thru Central & South America, so the only reason I'm debating the switch is because I'm a little worried the springs or coils could fail & leave me stranded somewhere (the YJ coils I put in were used)...I know the OME setup has been tried and tested on similar adventures, but no one has really tried with Zuk coils.

Price is a big factor because the money saved with the Zuk mod would be enough to make a side trip to the Galapagos Islands...but at the same time I don't want to set us up for failure.

Last edited by Ruined Adventures; 05-25-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:35 PM

if i were you and were planning on taking a trip like you describe, i don't think i'd be skimping parts that are worn out on a 20+yr old vehicle that you plan on getting you there and back. i wouldn't be worried about the coil springs you've added in there, but instead be worried about stuff failing on original parts that are worn out and could potentially fail under all the weight of your overlanding gear on a rutty dirt road. get the OME kit with some new OME shocks to match the leafs, you'll be happy. then take a look at your front end and get the OME steering stabilizer and maybe replace the worn out stuff up there like balljoints, etc and you'll have a brand new suspension (keep old parts for spares). if you're loaded down all the time and are just going to be overlanding the HD version could suit you well depending on how much you'll be riding empty. tbars are kinda up to you - if you have a winch bumper or v8 swap, then yes - otherwise you're probably good to go with the softer stock ones. sounds like a fun trip though.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM

if i were you and were planning on taking a trip like you describe, i don't think i'd be skimping parts that are worn out on a 20+yr old vehicle that you plan on getting you there and back. i wouldn't be worried about the coil springs you've added in there, but instead be worried about stuff failing on original parts that are worn out and could potentially fail under all the weight of your overlanding gear on a rutty dirt road. get the OME kit with some new OME shocks to match the leafs, you'll be happy. then take a look at your front end and get the OME steering stabilizer and maybe replace the worn out stuff up there like balljoints, etc and you'll have a brand new suspension (keep old parts for spares). if you're loaded down all the time and are just going to be overlanding the HD version could suit you well depending on how much you'll be riding empty. tbars are kinda up to you - if you have a winch bumper or v8 swap, then yes - otherwise you're probably good to go with the softer stock ones. sounds like a fun trip though.
Good point. I hadn't really of the springs as "worn" at first, since the rear sag is something that is so common but I see your point. I suppose OME springs would be worth the peace of mind. We're trying to keep the backpacker mentality of counting every lb and minimizing our crap, but everything quickly adds up.

I've already gone thru the ball joints and replaced both cv axles...I'm staying with the 22re, and I have a homemade bull bar that is just for a little insurance if I hit an animal. It only weighs about 30lbs so I'm thinking the torsion bars won't be necessary...and yes, it will be a VERY fun trip
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM

don't do it! your coils will last longer than new leaf springs, and there's no way the "limited" flex is going to prevent you from going anywhere. buy some cheap rancho or procomp shocks if you're worried about your old ones and call it good.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 AM

I've had good results from the ZUK coils as far as fixing rear sag. For Rocks they are not the best, last time out I kept lifting my rear tire because the coils won't flex enough to keep it on the ground. My rear end looks the same with flat leafs and 4" blocks as it does now with the 14" 125lb coils, but it rides 10x better. All I need to do is add a 6" shackle and it will match the front nicely.

All in all ZUK coils are a cheap fix for sagging rear ends. Eventually it will be swapped out with a whole new rear end suspension setup when I have the time, money, and resources to do what I want with my 4runner.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by rhill
don't do it! your coils will last longer than new leaf springs, and there's no way the "limited" flex is going to prevent you from going anywhere. buy some cheap rancho or procomp shocks if you're worried about your old ones and call it good.
Are you talking to the OP or me? I'm basically going on a 30,000 mile road trip where parts can be difficult to source...a lot of that will be on washboard roads. I'm starting to get paranoid, thinking my 24 year old springs might not make the entire trip. HIGHONPOTTERY had a good point. It's kind of a gamble for me...I was thinking maybe do the OME light duty rear springs, then add ZUK coils in between to support the extra gear's weight. The more I research, I hear the Heavy kit can be way too stiff, even loaded down.

I suppose for now I'll just order some quality shocks, an OME steering stabilizer and thoroughly go thru all the other suspension components I haven't replaced yet. I'll see how that feels than reevaluate the OME rear springs.

Like I said, I'm not looking to rock crawl. Just want to be able to survive the roads less traveled, and not get a spinal injury from a rough ride. The main reason I did the ZUK mod was because the bumpstops were only about 2" apart...plus it looks way better now. I'm not concerned with "flex"

Last edited by Ruined Adventures; 05-27-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Zuk vs ome's