Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

zuk mod, installation and thoughts...

Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zuk mod, installation and thoughts...

Okay, just finished getting this done. I don't have any pics yet, but I will, just got me a new digicam, have to learn the darn thing first!!!
Anyway, I got some ArFco (afco?)springs off of ebay, the were 12 inch by 2.5 inch diameter; outside diameter. That is as wide as you want to go. I would say anything between 2 inch and 2.5 inch outside diameter. the 12 inches raised
the back end back to completely prrlel with the front end. So if you go with 14 inchers, you will get a higher back end than front end, no doubt!!!!

Once the rear was jacked up, it only needed to have the springs compressed about 3 inches, I was getting some other work done at a Meineke shop, and the dudes did it there for me, even though I just wanted the bottoms of the stops cut off, that was very cool of them, compressed them by hanging on them , from near the tops of the springs, by hand!!!!
Now then, my springs were rated at 150 lbs., I would have prefered 100's, for a more comfy ride, but these are still a huge improvement in comfort, absolutely no more bottoming out and bouncing around, and completely raises up the rear end perfectly at 12 inches.
Have no fear, go ahead and get it done, it was worth every penny.
the dude on Ebay, that sells all the arfco springs, sells them for 30 bucks a pair, shipped, and they come in diff colors. Mine were yellow,
and i will get you some pics as soon as I can.
Zuk should win an Academy award for discovering this mod...

this is the ebay guy;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
what truck are these on .
i did the zuk mod with some springs i found a the flea market they are about 15 inches tall 2.5 id and am unsure about the load rating on them .
in this picture i was measuring from the bottom of the frame to the top of the u bolt plate ..it measured 14 inches at full droop.
those 12 inchers might just pop out of there. be careful man ..

check to see what your measure at.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM

BUMP!!!!!!!! pics?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 AM

Oh don't worry, they are in there plenty tight!!!! did not do a before measurement, but this was on a 88 4 rnr, that was all origional, including the rear leaf springs, so it had a full blown case of Sagass desease!!!
It is now quite even with the front, in height.
I will see if the weather agrees today, if I can get you some pics...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by RMA
what truck are these on .
i did the zuk mod with some springs i found a the flea market they are about 15 inches tall 2.5 id and am unsure about the load rating on them .
in this picture i was measuring from the bottom of the frame to the top of the u bolt plate ..it measured 14 inches at full droop.
those 12 inchers might just pop out of there. be careful man ..

check to see what your measure at.
Do you have extended shocks? Mine won't flex that much, can't tell if my shocks are fully extended or if the springs are too stiff.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you just cut off the upper bump stop down a bit and wedge them in there?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM

I'm going to be going with the 14" coils, probably rated at 125#. I've got some serious sag issues lol. Plus, I'm removing the 3 in blocks that are in right now.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Otay kids, here we go;
My 88'. rattle can black all over the top, cuz the black tops fade to a charcoal ash color real bad, then rattle canned white over that.
then rattle can black over several spots that had dings and such, all over the body. Then I got carried away, and did the back tire flares, and along lines, seams and such, and the bumpers etc.
Two reasons really; I like the cheesy look, and i live in a neighborhood where this vehicle is a major distraction, shall we say. If I need to call the cops, this will be an easy one to find.
Anyway, I took pics of the interior, and ext., you can see the heavier red torsion bars, cranked a bit up, then the yellow 12 inch springs- woulda liked
them softer than 150 lbs, but this is still much better. As you can see, even with the new shocks, torsion bars, 1 addaleafs set(which you cannot see), the back end is just as high as the front. So 14's will make you look like you are going downhill, if you like that look. The bottoms of the bump stops were
the only part cut off, just the very bottom metal pieces, then the forward side was heated, then spread outward, so it did not point in, but straight
down, so that both sides, were prllel, and pointing straight down. It was then
that the springs were wedged up in there; and they still did not fully seat,
until i rode over some bumpy stuff, so I have no doubt that these are staying
put, and not going anywhere!!!
In the last pic, is the tip of a brand new exhaust; a 2 inch pipe going into a
magnaflow exhaust, then out a 2.5 inch pipe. All stainless. What a diff in performance!!!
Totally quiet at idle, than nice and throaty when taking off, and it is quite zippy, with a noticeable easier reach for another 500 rpms, especially through
the first 3 gears- I can easily wait until I hit 4000 or even 4500 rpms, before shifting, without the motor sounding like it is straining, and I got a heck of a deal for the whole thing; installed plus parts, for about 160 bucks.

Schwing!

Last edited by rangerruck; 01-21-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM

So you used to the 12" because you're stock height? I have a 4" bracket lift on my runner, thats why I am going with the 14" with new 6.5 eye to eye shackels. (Reccomended to me by Zuk himself) My leafs are totally on my overload leaf, and there are 3in blocks. So I'm going to lose another 3in of lift in the back when I take those out.

Truck look good btw. :thumbup:
Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 PM

I'd say with the torsion bars up front, I maybe gained 2 inches up front, at most.
with the 12 inch springs, I am as high in the back, bodywise, as I am up front.
I have no other lift stuff in it at all. but all those springs really do, if you think about it, is lift the back end up and away, from the leafsprings/undercarriage.

for you though, since you allready have a pretty good bodylift, I would say 14 to 16 inch springs would work for you; somewhere between 2.25 and 2.5 inches, outside diameter, is what you want.
And if you can get springs at 100 lbs, that would be most comfortable. My 150's are deff stiff, but still much more comfortable than bottoming out...

Last edited by rangerruck; 01-22-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to hear rangerruck that the coils are doing the job It's kinda cool that you basically spent all of $30 for that entire rear lift and got a better ride and leveling and some payload ability. Using the rubber snubbers on the leafpacks and modifying the steel uppers like you did keeps it simple and cheap ZUK

Duckie- Let us know how that works out for you....the ride should be silky smooth....if it feels bouncy in the rear then that means your shocks are shot to hell.
ZUK

additional note about adding the 12 or 14 inch coils....if the stock shackles and stock leafpacks and stock shock lengths are used then even the shorter 12" coils won't fall out at full extension....probably to be tight with tension on them actually. Coil retainers would be a waste for that set-up.

Last edited by ZUK; 01-22-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
too bad i couldn't do something this cheap with my '92 4runner LOL